Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Noob Build and i get no Firebomb sound

Started by soaringuitarist, June 18, 2011, 05:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soaringuitarist

Photos are on my Flickr account
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64194198@N03/

I checked and rechecked and i think...or thought i had everything wired up right. But alas. When i plug in i get no sound with all bypassed. but with both switches on i get a whole lot of noise. I bypassed the battery cus i wont use one. Let me know what i did wrong guys. Thanks!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Are you testing it in an enclosure or how you have it pictured? If it's not in a box you would have to connect the ground to the output jack to get continuity.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sgmezei

Also, Looking at your switches I dont see the jumper from the top row center lug to the bottom row far right lug. And I would run a wire from the output jack sleeve to ground as well for out of enclosure debugging

soaringuitarist

yea both switches have the jumper from top middle to bottom right. there kinda hidden. and i tested it like it is... i forgot about grounding ill have to try that.

anything else foreseeably wrong

bigmufffuzzwizz

It hard to tell because the picture is blurry, but it appears like the leads on the right footswitch are touching each other (red wires). I'm referring to the top and middle lug on the 3rd row. If they are cut them, they make that connection internally.

sgmezei

Have you built an audio probe yet? Its really easy and Jacob has great tutorial thread on it.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1140.0

A must watch. Really helped me out.

soaringuitarist

Man all i needed was to ground it...... I knew it too, after doing work on my amp and stumbling across the same problem. Now a quick queston

The Second channel (boost) works great as a clean boost. And the first channel is suppose to be the gain channel. But when combined i get a kinda gnarly almost fuzz like tone with the two gains cranked. Is it suppose to be like that or do i have a value messed up in there somewhere?

bigmufffuzzwizz

I would imagine if you cascade 2 SHO's it would do that. Does it sound like this?

soaringuitarist

haha.. yea it does. for some reason i kept thinking i was building a box of rock. oh well just excited to have my first pedal build be a success! Thanks for your assistance guys ill look into this audio probe thing..

On to the next

The Dead Ringer.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Next time you'll have an easy time troubleshooting a problem like this! I went and built my slambox after helping you with it and I love that thing! It drives my tube amp into serious fuzz/distortion. But backed off i get a lot more clean highs. With the knob full turn up and the volume knob down it sputters like crazy!