News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda 1900H clones OK to use?

Started by Leevibe, April 06, 2015, 03:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm working on a project that has LOTS of pots. Tayda's price for the 1900H clone is really cheap. Are they even worth buying? This will be a project that will be living on my workbench, not a pedal board. Still, if they don't at least have inserts, I'm not interested. Anyone have experience with these?

pickdropper

Not worth buying., IMHO.  I bought some and tossed them aside in favor of better quality knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Droogie

Ditto—they're wonky to work with. Your stuff is too good to use those!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Leevibe

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know.

alanp

Erthenvar's 1900h's are the best I've found so far.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Luke51411

I've had problems with them as well. I'm not sure of the quality of the 1900Hs from BLMS but I've been very happy with the other knobs I've bought from them, might be worth a try and the pricing is similar to Tayda.

davent

Bought some, never even tried to use any, so in addition to poor quality the colouring and material they are made from are wretched. i keep them around as a reminder to why i should never order them again.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Hangingmonkey

flanagan0718

They are junk! I find that most of the 1900 style knobs are trash...but metal set screws into plastic knobs, doomed for failure. The better ones I've heard of are the ones from Smallbear or BLMS (i've used the BLMS ones and had good luck).

alanp

http://erthenvar.com/store/accessories/knobs/mini-fluted-knobs

Metal inserts.

The setscrews and threads don't strip unless you're King Kong.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on April 07, 2015, 12:44:43 AM
http://erthenvar.com/store/accessories/knobs/mini-fluted-knobs

Metal inserts.

The setscrews and threads don't strip unless you're King Kong.

Yeah, those look perfect. If the ones at BLMS have the brass inserts like these, they're a screamer of a deal @ $.43

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Luke51411

I don't think the BLMS ones have the brass inserts here is what he has to say about them
"Just OK Knobs. Great Price. They fit like a glove on 1/4" smooth shaft pots.

These are cheaply made so they usually work fine 3 out of 4 times. Sometimes the set screw will strip with very little pressure which leads to more creative measures like using glue or something else to keep them on. I recommend buying a few extra in anticipation for problems down the road."
So probably not what you are looking for but I would bet they are better than the tayda 1900H clones

Leevibe

Quote from: Luke51411 on April 07, 2015, 01:00:45 AM
I don't think the BLMS ones have the brass inserts here is what he has to say about them
"Just OK Knobs. Great Price. They fit like a glove on 1/4" smooth shaft pots.

These are cheaply made so they usually work fine 3 out of 4 times. Sometimes the set screw will strip with very little pressure which leads to more creative measures like using glue or something else to keep them on. I recommend buying a few extra in anticipation for problems down the road."
So probably not what you are looking for but I would bet they are better than the tayda 1900H clones

LOL. At least Laurence is an honest guy.  :D

I think I'll try the erthenvars or just stick with PPP/SB, since the prices are all pretty much the same. I've never looked back, after springing for quality parts in a build, and said to myself, "Dang, I should have cheaped out a bit more on the parts."

alanp

Erthenvar are also great for 3.5mm patch cords, all manner of 3.5mm jacks, and miscellaneous hardware. (Bought my Eurorack rails from Elby Designs, though, still have to make a cab for them.)

Sorry for the derail!
- Terry Pratchett
My website