News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soddering...

Started by juansolo, March 31, 2015, 09:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

I think Geordies have far more of a problem pronouncing English words properly.... And they're from England (just) ;)

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on March 31, 2015, 05:17:15 PM
I think Geordies have far more of a problem pronouncing English words properly.... And they're from England (just) ;)

Hadaway and shiteman*

*Famous Geordie solicitors
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Betty Wont

I thought geordi was from gambia?!?!

Justus

No, Geordi is from the USS Enterprise.

chromesphere

I would comment but im fairly certain I have no right too..what with my Straylian accent and constant dropping of unnecessary letters.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

blearyeyes

Sold der ring? Nooooo! soddering! I'm a soderhead! Hee hee!

billstein

Quote from: chromesphere on March 31, 2015, 11:49:59 PM
I would comment but im fairly certain I have no right too..what with my Straylian accent and constant dropping of unnecessary letters.

I was amazed when we lived in the UK at how quickly England stole some of the letters in my vocabulary. Such as "isn't it" becoming "innit". As in "Where are you going?" "Store innit." Forty became foe-ee. Plus they insisted that the trunk of my car was a boot and the fenders were wings. My sweaters were jumpers... I'm so confused.

http://youtu.be/9WxVf9njHps

juansolo

Quote from: billstein on April 01, 2015, 05:36:44 AM

I was amazed when we lived in the UK at how quickly England stole some of the letters in my vocabulary. Such as "isn't it" becoming "innit". As in "Where are you going?" "Store innit." Forty became foe-ee. Plus they insisted that the trunk of my car was a boot and the fenders were wings. My sweaters were jumpers... I'm so confused.

http://youtu.be/9WxVf9njHps

innit=Essex. Which isn't a good example of English speech (understatement of the century).

There's plenty of other stuff. Pavements are footpaths that run along side roads. Hoods are bonnets (which makes perfect sense if you think about it). Boot doesn't and trunk does, so that's a 50/50 job. But wings do where as fenders do not (old cars had wings, the name stuck).

Soddering though, is ridiculous. It's mainly because it sounds like it's another word pertaining to buggery. The soddering iron! :o Sodder sounds like it could be a byproduct of using a soddering iron, maybe it's something you have to clean off it...

chromesphere

Im thinking about starting an economically priced soldering iron manufacturing company called "Sodder Miser"...   :o
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

juansolo

Quote from: chromesphere on April 01, 2015, 09:21:36 AM
Im thinking about starting an economically priced soldering iron manufacturing company called "Sodder Miser"...   :o

;D

peterc

*Coffee on screen incident*

Juan, you had to know, NO-ONE would take you seriously, no matter how irritating it is....

Just tell them to sold off!
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

juansolo

Oh I knew... but I do find it amusing.

midwayfair

I read this in your accent and I'm still picking up half the alphabet off the floor.

There's a t missing ... gotta be around here somewhere.

You could move to the mid Atlantic. People here add letters. "Warter" is something you drink, and "warsh" is something you do to your clothes. My grandmother had it. My mother does not. Somehow my sister got it. Maybe it skips a generation, like baldness.

Justus

Quote from: midwayfair on April 01, 2015, 12:51:13 PM
You could move to the mid Atlantic. People here add letters. "Warter" is something you drink, and "warsh" is something you do to your clothes. My grandmother had it. My mother does not. Somehow my sister got it. Maybe it skips a generation, like baldness.

That generally just happens with the letter combo "ar" though, and sounds a lot like "or" (i.e. "worsh those clothes").  In the same region some letters are dropped as well, such as the "L" when talking about "diggin' a hoe" in the ground.  Oh, and that brings up another...  the suffix ing is nearly always shortened to just in'   :D

Of course, when talking about grandmothers, everything is fair game.  The word "fish" becomes "feesh".

midwayfair

Quote from: Justus on April 01, 2015, 03:07:51 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on April 01, 2015, 12:51:13 PM

That generally just happens with the letter combo "ar" though, and sounds a lot like "or" (i.e. "worsh those clothes").  In the same region some letters are dropped as well, such as the "L" when talking about "diggin' a hoe" in the ground.  Oh, and that brings up another...  the suffix ing is nearly always shortened to just in'   :D

Of course, when talking about grandmothers, everything is fair game.  The word "fish" becomes "feesh".

Many dialects of English have weird things with liquids (I mentioned liquids earlier in the thread). I think the one in "warsh" is called an interstitial /r/.

RP does these, too. My favorite is when the BBC talks about the weathah in Chiner.

-ing becoming -in is actually proper English going back as far as something recognizably "English" was a language. The spelling was normalized but an unstressed -ing ending never had an /inj/ sound until very, very recently after widespread literacy. The association with literacy probably has something to do with people erroneously believing that "dropping the g" is a low-class thing. Nineteenth century writers using weird spellings to transcribe regional accents, and their fondness for prescriptive grammar, really did very little to curb this.

Another word that suffered a pronunciation change due to literacy was "often." It's pronounced "offen." It was spelled with a "t" for some reason (I forget why) and people started pronouncing that letter.