News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Complete NOOB question

Started by Eli, March 29, 2015, 05:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli

I am trying to order the parts for the "Chunk chunk" pedal. I had no problem finding the resistors. But, the sites i have searched do not have capacitors that look right. What am i doing wrong? is it that hard to find capacitors?

brucer

What site are you looking at?

Which capacitors are you having trouble locating?

Generally, on project BOM's, the "pF" caps are ceramic, the "nF" caps are box/film types and the "uF" (SmallBear calls them "mF") are electrolytic.

A conversion table helps (http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html) because some sites report values in different units than the project BOM.

Does that help?

Eli

I was using pedal parts plus. I just looked up the 220pf, the results were a silver mica or a pulse film cap.

rullywowr

Quote from: Eli on March 29, 2015, 06:21:38 PM
I was using pedal parts plus. I just looked up the 220pf, the results were a silver mica or a pulse film cap.

Try Tayda electronics, Mouser, Digikey, or Smallbear.  (In no particular order).  Should be a ceramic cap.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Eli

is a 100n the same as a 100nF?
also is a 680K a standard 680 ohm?

micromegas

Quote from: Eli on March 29, 2015, 06:28:59 PM
is a 100n the same as a 100nF?
yes
Quote from: Eli on March 29, 2015, 06:28:59 PM
also is a 680K a standard 680 ohm?
no, 680K stands for 680 kilo-ohms = 680000 ohms
you can find 680 ohm resistor sometimes written like "680R" or only "680".
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Eli

is a 1/4w 1% metal film resistor the best choice for pedal building?

micromegas

Quote from: rullywowr on March 29, 2015, 06:24:28 PM
Quote from: Eli on March 29, 2015, 06:21:38 PM

Try Tayda electronics, Mouser, Digikey, or Smallbear.  (In no particular order).  Should be a ceramic cap.
add Paul's shop to the list. http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/
He has less options, but the price is good and is easier to find what you need.

If this is your first pedal I recommend you to go to either Smallbear or diyguitarpedals. Mouser have a lot of options, but you'll lose yourself there and probably end with things you have no use for.

micromegas

Quote from: Eli on March 29, 2015, 06:37:08 PM
is a 1/4w 1% metal film resistor the best choice for pedal building?
it depends.
It is the standard here. Size is important and 1/4 w fits the majority of layouts @madbeans . However, some layouts use 1/8 w resistors (those are the smaller ones). We use those unless other value is specified (sometimes you need resistors that can disipate more power: 1/2w, 1w, etc)

Chunk Chunk uses all 1/4w. The Zero Point Micro, for example, uses all 1/8w

Tolerance (1%) isn't usually that important. You can use 1/4w 5% too for most applications.

Eli

What the Hell is a 100r resistor?

m-Kresol

R is the symbol for resistance. it's convention to label resistor that have resistances of lower than 1 kOhm (1000 Ohm) with xxxR; with the xxx being the resistance value. Values higher than 1 kOhm are usually labelled eg. 4k7 for 4.7 kOhms or 2M2 for 2.2 MOhm.

so, to answer your question: 100R means 100 Ohms.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

playpunk

Quote from: Eli on March 29, 2015, 06:59:43 PM
What the Hell is a 100r resistor?

100 ohms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

TGP39

Hi Eli. The chunk chunk is not an easy project. Are you sure you want to start with this build? Madbean has many great 'noobie' projects that I would whole-heartedly recommend for a first or second build.  The Pastyface or Mangler are excellent circuits that sound great for a nice fuzz/distortion.  We are always here to help. Good luck.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

dont-tase-me-bro

this link has a bunch of projects with full Mouser BOM's

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5703

one thing to check is whether anything has changed since this was originally created
I thought this would save me money.

chromesphere

Quote from: TGP39 on March 29, 2015, 08:23:12 PM
Hi Eli. The chunk chunk is not an easy project. Are you sure you want to start with this build? Madbean has many great 'noobie' projects that I would whole-heartedly recommend for a first or second build.  The Pastyface or Mangler are excellent circuits that sound great for a nice fuzz/distortion.  We are always here to help. Good luck.

Steve.

I would second this.  Without sounding like an a-hole, some of the questions you have asked are basic electronic assembly questions and I just feel the chunk chunk may be above your head.  I would start with a beginner project.  Madbean's got some newbie projects, like Steve said.  If you want something even easier, start out with one of my 7min or 10min builds, seriously doesn't get any easier, comes everything bar an led/bezel, 3pdt and enclosure and a video with basic assembly instructions to follow along:
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

That said if your confident and determined then go for it!  Just make sure you do a lot of research and practice your soldering.  Take your time with it.

Good luck whatever path you choose!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube