News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ibanez AS93 violin burst! NGD

Started by blearyeyes, March 27, 2015, 05:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Just want to thank all of you guys for such great input. I bought this guitar and it is sweet! Couldn't have done it without so much input all of which was spot on...this guitar sings and sustains forever, plays all the way to the top fret without a single issue.. She was a little pissed when I yanked her out of the box but after a few minutes she settled and stays in perfect tune, intonation is perfect.... wow!

Thanks!

Sweetwater took a better pic that I could.

jkokura

I already have an Epi Dot, so no I don't, but if I didn't have a Dot...

No, I'd get a full size guitar. I like the semi hollow, but when I played a 339 style guitar at my local store I didn't like how small it was.

I'd think of a 5000 series gretsch would be fun.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GrindCustoms

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 27, 2015, 05:09:11 AM
I'm looking to get some more organic sounding guitar tracks. I was thinking a semi hollow would help..
I can spend a few bucks but GAS has influenced my judgment, what would you do if you could spend some money at Sweetwater?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ET33VSNH

I really like my 5122 Gretsch, don't have much experience with the Epi's, but those i tried where feeling good and solid to me. Also sounded quite well.

I just have one gripe with SemiHollows, i think that you have to choose one right off the bat that sonically really suits your taste, 'cause if you're to change the electronics in it, nightmare it is.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

blearyeyes

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 27, 2015, 05:22:38 AM
Quote from: blearyeyes on March 27, 2015, 05:09:11 AM
I'm looking to get some more organic sounding guitar tracks. I was thinking a semi hollow would help..
I can spend a few bucks but GAS has influenced my judgment, what would you do if you could spend some money at Sweetwater?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ET33VSNH

I really like my 5122 Gretsch, don't have much experience with the Epi's, but those i tried where feeling good and solid to me. Also sounded quite well.

I just have one gripe with SemiHollows, i think that you have to choose one right off the bat that sonically really suits your taste, 'cause if you're to change the electronics in it, nightmare it is.

Rej

I was thinking the same thing, just changing the pickups I would have be like a man that builds ships in a bottle..

blearyeyes

Quote from: jkokura on March 27, 2015, 05:16:07 AM
I already have an Epi Dot, so no I don't, but if I didn't have a Dot...

No, I'd get a full size guitar. I like the semi hollow, but when I played a 339 style guitar at my local store I didn't like how small it was.

I'd think of a 5000 series gretsch would be fun.

Jacob
Thanks Jacob,
With a plywood guitar and having it be smaller I was worried about that same thing.
Thank you for your experience..
I'll look at the Gretsch 5000 series as well..

jkokura

Plywood guitar?

The Epi semihollows may have a ply top, but a plywood guitar it is not. Remember that a real 335 also has a ply top.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

blearyeyes

I'm sorry but doesn't being made out of laminate wood make it a plywood guitar?
i did not mean to offend you in any way.

blearyeyes

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETDTEBCH

This is less money and doesn't have the split pickup option, but is full sized, what so you think?

jkokura

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 27, 2015, 06:17:28 AM
I'm sorry but doesn't being made out of laminate wood make it a plywood guitar?
i did not mean to offend you in any way.

You didn't offend me, I guess my comment was more about the fact that a Epi Dot is very different than the old sears 'plywood' mail order guitars. Plywood is a building material, comes in 4'x8' slabs and is used to sheet floors and walls and roofs. A lot of very cheap, and very poor instruments were made out of plywood, the building material - and I should also say that there are some innovative and pretty cool instruments made of plywood out there too. In so far as plywood is pretty much laminated wood, there's also a big difference in a guitar having a 'laminated top' and being made from plywood.

Generally people call a guitar a 'plywood' instrument is to imply that it's inferior because of the construction technique. The reason the top is laminated has more to do with tradition, and the $3500 335 has a laminated top too.

About the guitar you linked...

I think I paid $375 Canadian for my Dot, used. You can find them pretty easily for cheaper. The ones made in China tend to be pretty consistent. I think Epi has a good factory there, as opposed to the inconsistent factory that was in Korea a while back. Epiphone make really nice instruments based on my experience, and I'd be happy to pay $400 for a new one. Get a hardcase if you can, and if you can choose the colour I've always preferred red.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

micromegas

Regarding small semi-hollows... I have a Ibanez AM-400 and I'm in love with it. It has maple top and mahogamy body. I'm in love with it and it's as comfortable as it could get. It is true it doesn't sound like a full-sized one, but it has it's own essence and plays great with distortion.

Here's a photo of mine (literally, this is the one I bought)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

lars

If you want an Epiphone semi-hollow, go with the Sheraton II. Every Sheraton II I've ever played has played great, and everyone that ever tried the one I used to have would always say, "This is a nice guitar!" I sold mine years ago when I needed cash, and have regretted it ever since.

GermanCdn

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 27, 2015, 05:22:38 AM

Rej

Actually, this isn't completely true when it comes to Epiphones, at least in regards to the pickups.  The pickups on their hollowbodies (as of the last 8 - 10 years) all have quick connects on them, it's pretty easy to swap them out.  Just clip the zip tie which holds all the wires together in the F-hole, pull the wires through the f-hole, clip the wires from the pickup above the clip, remove the clip, attached hot and ground to the clip, and you're good to go.  Took me about half an hour to swap the pickups on my 2008 Dot.

If you want to change out the harness, that's still quite a bit of work, but can be done.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on March 27, 2015, 11:05:59 AM
Regarding small semi-hollows... I have a Ibanez AM-400 and I'm in love with it. It has maple top and mahogamy body. I'm in love with it and it's as comfortable as it could get. It is true it doesn't sound like a full-sized one, but it has it's own essence and plays great with distortion.

Here's a photo of mine (literally, this is the one I bought)

I think many of the Ibanez semi-hollows are a very good value for the money.  I have generally preferred them the Epiphones I've played at similar price points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

blearyeyes

Saw this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HB35TS

Looked interesting as well.

Epi has a les Paul semi-hollow.

I really don't want to go to guitar center to try all these suggestions out. I think there's one shop not to far away that might have decent selection...time for a road trip..

blearyeyes

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AM93TKS

OK been thinking about everyone comments...look at this one tell me what you think...