News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass VI vs Bariton

Started by drolo, March 25, 2015, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Cleggy has a baritone and a Squier Bass VI. The baritone is a weird beast, to me it only ever sounded right with the Orange OR15 I had, with which it went into full Sleep mode and sounded bilbical (best I've heard both the amp and guitar sound). The Bass VI however just sounds bloody good and is bags and bags of fun.

He did put a nice bridge on it and some new pickup covers (stock ones are almost translucent). Stock pups are pretty good anyhow.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Betty Wont

Quote from: juansolo on March 25, 2015, 05:15:47 PM

He did put a nice bridge on it and some new pickup covers (stock ones are almost translucent). Stock pups are pretty good anyhow.

IMO the Staytrem bridge is mandatory on a bass vi. It is the only way to get it to intone correctly, especially with a .95 low E. Plus it takes the bra off the tremolo system.

juansolo

Quote from: Torgoslayer on March 25, 2015, 05:34:11 PM
Quote from: juansolo on March 25, 2015, 05:15:47 PM

IMO the Staytrem bridge is mandatory on a bass vi. It is the only way to get it to intone correctly, especially with a .95 low E. Plus it takes the bra off the tremolo system.

yeah that's the one he fitted.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

lincolnic

I built a baritone out of a Strat body and a conversion neck, and I love it. Granted, I'm a lefty and so I'll never have a chance to play a Bass VI, so I may be missing out, but I have no regrets whatsoever.

raulduke

God damn it you guys know how to tempt a dude don't you  ;D

I've got a spare tele body, parts etc.

All I need is a neck... the baritone conversion is calling me!

Would I be right in saying the baritone was the guitar used in a lot of spaghetti western soundtracks?

drolo

I think they used both Bass VI's and Baritones :-)
We're doomed to get both ...

Any good tips for necks in Europe?

The only reasonable one I found in the Eurozone is this Baritone:

http://www.musik-produktiv.de/goeldo-tele-baritone-rw.html

If i decide to buy a Bass VI neck it will probably be this guy:

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/151626501816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

But if I get hit with customs taxes (very likely) it could come to cost more than 200 Euro ...
The Squier Bass VI can be found for 327 Euro ...

Tremster

raulduke

I've had good experience with buying from Warmoth in the past.

I've never had to pay any import fees, but that could just be luck.

As you say though, a Squier Bass VI can be had for very little moolah...

Decisions decisions!

drolo

Quote from: raulduke on March 26, 2015, 10:14:22 AM
I've had good experience with buying from Warmoth in the past.

I've never had to pay any import fees, but that could just be luck.

As you say though, a Squier Bass VI can be had for very little moolah...

Decisions decisions!

yeah, the Warmoth ones look great but will end up being much too expensive, especially if customs take their share (and they have been getting mental these last months here ...)

Tremster

I have always had to pay customs when ordering from the USA, be it pedals or from Warmoth. Only PCBs are cool.
Plus: the Euro being so low makes Warmoth expensive these days. I wanted to order from there, too ......

raulduke

Customs seems to be totally random in the UK. I think they just pick one box out of ten to apply a fee too  ;)

From a less personal perspective... I agree with customs fees and I don't really have a problem with it.

However, finding UK/EU alternatives to certain suppliers can be a real ball ache (eg. a UK/EU Warmoth alternative).

Tremster

Quote from: raulduke on March 26, 2015, 11:58:10 AM
However, finding UK/EU alternatives to certain suppliers can be a real ball ache (eg. a UK/EU Warmoth alternative).

This, so much.
You can find a Strat and Tele body and some neck in Europe, but that's it. You cannot choose pickup configurations, type of wood, chambered, f-hole, neck profiles, fingerboard radius, type of frets, nut slot, headstock, nothing.
There are so many guitar makers in Europe, and so many wood companies. Why don't they do it?

micromegas

A friend of mine wants to set up something similar to warmoth here. It could take him years :) but he is young and ambitious. The main problem is that I do not think anyone in Spain could match warmoth prices, at least for the shipping.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Tremster

Quote from: micromegas on March 26, 2015, 12:20:14 PM
A friend of mine wants to set up something similar to warmoth here. It could take him years :) but he is young and ambitious. The main problem is that I do not think anyone in Spain could match warmoth prices, at least for the shipping.

What do you mean? Warmoth shipping to EU is not cheap.

micromegas

Quote from: Tremster on March 26, 2015, 12:23:22 PM
Quote from: micromegas on March 26, 2015, 12:20:14 PM

What do you mean? Warmoth shipping to EU is not cheap.
It is cheap if you buy in bulk (at least it was...)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io