News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Some competitions are just awesome!

Started by micromegas, March 23, 2015, 11:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Spain is a mixture of different cultures. Here you can find different landscaps and characters living next to each other and it is not such a big country. We have 4 different oficial languages and a ton of dialects.

I live next to Basque Country, they speak spanish and euskera there and have awesome competitions/sports.
Here you can appreciate a small sample:

Sorry for the tourism advertising words :). I just saw this and seemed awesome to me: a car! with an axe! cmmon....

I thougt it could be cool if we shared some similar absurd/awesome competitions here.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

add4

Belgique has an interesting one: highest number of minister per habitant in the whole world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

We have a really, really worthy competition here in God's Own.

New Zealand's Best Pie.

http://www.nzbakels.co.nz/pie_awards.cfm

Oh, for Americans -- by pie, Kiwi's mean flakey pastry containing piping hot goodness inside, normally NOT fruit. So common that most petrol stations and dairy's have a pie warmer going during business hours.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

In some of the more rural parts of the country they like to have fun using milk cans and carbide

On new years day people like to take a swim in the ice cold waters of the North Sea

They have actual competitions for people who can sit the longest on a pole. Like literally for days

For the gross out factor there is our national delicacy, eating raw herring. With onions! Mmmmm. I don't think she likes it much though.

micromegas

haha, I love the Netherlands.

Herring is delicious btw. My region is famous for its anchovies, outsiders think they are gross too as they sometimes look like worms:

But I can tell you those are awesome too :)

juansolo

Hmmm, we don't do anything weird in Yorkshire. It's all fields and prettiness. We're good at beer and pie though. There's the ferret thing I suppose, but we don't talk about that.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on March 24, 2015, 12:02:02 PM
Hmmm, we don't do anything weird in Yorkshire. It's all fields and prettiness. We're good at beer and pie though. There's the ferret thing, but we don't talk about that.
I can imagine why you don't talk about it :)
I love the quote on wikipedia where they show you a ferret's teeth and say: "Despite their sharp teeth, ferrets have been called "generally ... harmless, fun-loving creatures" by people associated with the sport" English humour at its finest

I've never been to England but my girlfriend has told me to beware of english pies. She says: "you can call it whatever you want, but hot rhubarb with cream and cold ice cream isn't a pie".

She didn't said anything about beer though. And my experience with Kentish and Oxonian beer has been great so far

Muadzin

Do they still have warm beer over there? That always made me go WTF!?

Leevibe

That is awesome! Good thing most cars are front wheel drive these days. :)

lars

He's got an axe and we're in a car. He'd rip through us like we were made out of tin foil.

juansolo

Quote from: micromegas on March 24, 2015, 12:16:55 PM
Hmmm, we don't do anything weird in Yorkshire. It's all fields and prettiness. We're good at beer and pie though. There's the ferret thing, but we don't talk about that.
I love the quote on wikipedia where they show you a ferret's teeth and say: "Despite their sharp teeth, ferrets have been called "generally ... harmless, fun-loving creatures" by people associated with the sport" English humour at its finest

I've never been to England but my girlfriend has told me to beware of english pies. She says: "you can call it whatever you want, but hot rhubarb with cream and cold ice cream isn't a pie".

That's Rhubarb Crumble, that's not a pie. Steak and Ale Pie, that's a pie, and yes it has warm beer in it, hence the ale ;)

Quote from: micromegas on March 24, 2015, 12:16:55 PMShe didn't said anything about beer though. And my experience with Kentish and Oxonian beer has been great so far

TBH I find the warm beer (when not in pies) to be bloody awful. My personal favourites are usually Belgian beers.

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on March 24, 2015, 04:52:01 PM
Quote from: micromegas on March 24, 2015, 12:16:55 PM

That's Rhubarb Crumble, that's not a pie. Steak and Ale Pie, that's a pie, and yes it has warm beer in it, hence the ale ;)

Quote from: micromegas on March 24, 2015, 12:16:55 PMShe didn't said anything about beer though. And my experience with Kentish and Oxonian beer has been great so far

TBH I find the warm beer (when not in pies) to be bloody awful. My personal favourites are usually Belgian beers.
I'll check that ale pie, the only beer-based food I've ever tried is the guiness cake and it was brilliant.
In Spain we're more used to sweet pies and call the salad ones "empanadas" but I think those are a little different from yours (at least they have less stuff inside and use to be flatter)

I dig Belgian beers the most too. They have great variety there. There's a beer shop 200 m from my home that has great material so every weekend I allow myself to try different things.

raulduke

Steak and ale pie is mega.

So is guiness cake.

I'm seeing a pattern here...

billstein

Quote from: raulduke on March 24, 2015, 07:12:09 PM
Steak and ale pie is mega.

So is guiness cake.

I'm seeing a pattern here...

This is making me hungry. It's one of those things I miss about living in England, those great pub pies.
*runs off to find whatever he can stick into his mouth in the kitchen*

juansolo

Have a guitarist friend who lives in the States, but is originally from around here. So 2-3 times a year he comes back to visit family. He almost always nips in and we always go to the pub so he can have a proper pie and a pint.

Last time he was here as we mentioned that surely with all the micro breweries in the States he must be able to find some good beer? He responded that he went to a beer thing thinking that, and he complained that they're always putting extra 'stuff' in their beer, chocolate beer was one he remembered. "Who wants beer that tastes of chocolate?!".

Amused me anyhow.