News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY pedalboard guide

Started by StevieM17, March 23, 2015, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevieM17

Hey guys,
I stumbled upon this site that will help you build a "standard" pedalboard. Could be helpful to some so ill leave it here. I'm staring my own build today, looks easy enough. Hope it helps!

https://pedalboardrevolution.wordpress.com/

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

StevieM17

Quote from: playpunk on March 23, 2015, 05:46:47 PM
it's gone already? WTF?????

weird... so yeah I guess everyone discard this message. that's a bummer.

playpunk

google still has the cache, though. :)
"my legend grows" - playpunk

StevieM17

BrianS

That's a nice site. Just some things I discovered from building one:
1). I would build it like a Pedaltrain with hardwood slats going across instead of a plywood top. It is much easier then to have to rout the through slots.
2). If you have a lot of pedals that have side in/out jacks the through slot needs to be bigger than 2 of your hook up jacks hooked into your pedals. Due to noisey pedals I finally made my own cables with pancake jacks. The majority of my pedals have side jacks and they don't fit very well because the slot isn't big enough.
3). This is just me and how my next one will be built. My input chassis Jack would go at the start of my first row of pedals and I would put one at the beginning and end of every roll. I rather have a hard wired cable going between rolls than having to run a 3ft hookup cable from one side to the other. People might think this is overkill (and it probably is) but I want to keep my wiring as neat as possible. 
4). Figure out how you are going to keep the cables running underneath stored so they don't hang down. I first tried some hard plastic tubing with adhesive tape on the back that is used for cable runs. That didn't work for long. I bought some cable like hooks that you can screw in at Lowes and they are ok but on the next one I will find something else.
5). Youre going to have to figure out how your going to plug in your pedal power supply. I got a power strip with surge protector cut off the end and wired it up to the powerCon Jack. I use a Godlyke power supply on mine.
Here are the parts I used on mine:
Neutrik NJ3FP6C 1/4" Locking Chassis Jack Nickel For in/out
Neutrik NAC3MPA-1 powerCON Chassis Connector Power In Blue
Neutrik NAC3FCA powerCON Cable Connector Power In Blue
6 ft. AC Power Cord Black 18/3
Amphenol ACPM-RN 1/4" Mono Right Angle Phone Plug Connector Sati
Pro Co Guitar & Instrument Cable 90% Shield 1 ft. USA
I bought this from Parts Express. I think they raised their shipping to like $9+ so I am sure you can find this more reasonable somewhere else.
I tried to attach a picture of mine but it didn't work. Anyway if you need anything I will try to help. Brian

jimilee

2 words gorm shelf. You get them at ikea, Google gorm shelf pedal board. Super easy, they come in a two pack, so I made 2 and have one to my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

micromegas

the blog's owner posted this on his facebook page 1 hour ago:
"Hi folks! Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be shutting this site down. I just want to thank everyone for the huge amount of support I received. But fear not, please follow my custom pedalboard business account @chumleyspedalboards (if you're not already) for new DIY stuff coming soon! It's gonna be pretty dang cool! I ll leave this message up for 24 hours then it's gone!"
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GermanCdn

Quote from: jimilee on March 23, 2015, 06:36:21 PM
2 words gorm shelf.

At first when I saw that, I was worried you'd had a stroke.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

StevieM17

Wow! Thanks for all the info Brian, that really helps a bunch, I was gunna go with a lava kit but I think your pancake idea sounds much better. and jimilee ill have to try the gorm shelf would make a really good home or demo board, thanks!

thesameage

Quote from: micromegas on March 23, 2015, 06:45:21 PM
"Hi folks! Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be shutting this site down. I just want to thank everyone for the huge amount of support I received. But fear not, please follow my custom pedalboard business account @chumleyspedalboards (if you're not already) for new DIY stuff coming soon! It's gonna be pretty dang cool! I ll leave this message up for 24 hours then it's gone!"

I've been talking to Scott Chumley today about ordering a pedal board from him. Crazy.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 23, 2015, 06:58:18 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 23, 2015, 06:36:21 PM
2 words gorm shelf.

At first when I saw that, I was worried you'd had a stroke.
[/quotebwahahahaha

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

Quote from: thesameage on March 23, 2015, 07:53:23 PM

I've been talking to Scott Chumley today about ordering a pedal board from him. Crazy.

Pulled the trigger on a 13.5x12 pedal board with in/outs and power in, and all velcro "carpet" on top, stained greenish brown. $110. It's the kind of thing that I "could" build if I had the time and tools, but I know that It would end up costing me just as much. From a time perspective, I just decided to pull the trigger.

StevieM17

Quote from: thesameage on March 24, 2015, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: thesameage on March 23, 2015, 07:53:23 PM

Pulled the trigger on a 13.5x12 pedal board with in/outs and power in, and all velcro "carpet" on top, stained greenish brown. $110. It's the kind of thing that I "could" build if I had the time and tools, but I know that It would end up costing me just as much. From a time perspective, I just decided to pull the trigger.

That's a really good price, especially compared to some of the other companies. seems like a good guy too, I'll definitely be buying one from him soon. Let me know how it turns out!

thesameage

He's been a nice guy to deal with so far. I looked at a few different guys who are making boards and he was the most communicative, into it, and had the quickest (and most reasonable) turnaround time. There were even cheaper ones out there, but not worth it in the end.