News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TTTOP

Started by GrindCustoms, March 23, 2015, 01:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Tap Tempo Trem-O-Phase, because doing hassle free projects is not permitted..... now laughing of it... ...but Faawwwkk that i wanted to throw it by the window couple time.. hahaha!

So this is David's TwinPeak Tremolo into his Liquid Mercury Phasor, in theory and practice the idea seemed to be fairly easy, i might have overlooked this one a bit i did couple newbie mistakes (always good to remind you, that) and other stuff that where just out of my knowledge that i had to fry them in the name of science to know if it would work or not.

Picstory accompained with all the problems i went through :D

At this stage i had drilled the enclosure and thought i had took good measurements for everything... but NO! the jacks on the side that where suppose to be the main in and out even if at the lowest they can in the enclosure so they sit flat, i had'nt thought of the sandwiched pcb design these are... so it was sticking too high out of the enclosure so i can put the lid on, so i used the jacks that where meant to be the switching loop between the effects.
I also had to dremel out the center top screw standoff so i could fit the jack, that was part of the plan tho... what would be a build without a lovely dremelin' session.

I grabbed the TwinPeak fully populated and tested PCB from Jubal81 wich is per his habit populated and assembled using quality components and great craftmanship, no problems would occur with this part... ...i had thought...  ::)

Dropped the primary Phaser pcb in there and decided to plug the power just to see if my tempo LED was working, it was, unplugged and continued... and that's where it turned ape shit! haha

After i added the second pcb of the Phaser, i went to try the effect, tapping the tempo was just affecting the phaser, the trem was sounding wonky... not responding accurately to the settings and was'nt able to get any of the modes to work right all together, when i fixed one, another would start bugging...

I then spent more time looking at the schem and realised that one of the tap tempo input receives 5V but i had connected both tempo together on the same switch, so i was in fact driving a bit under 10V to the TAPFLO tempo input pin... for some mysterious reasons, it only fried the Trem MCU, phaser was all good.

But then i had a problem, i wanted a remote out or external Tempo In using a Tip/Sleeve Jack... so if i wanted to do that i had to sync both MCU together, so i hooked a wire to the Clock output of the phaser Taplfo so i can then send it to the Trem. Luckily i had an extra flashed MCU courtersy of Cody (selfdestroyer), so that was a no brainer now. Once that wire was hooked i took some reading of the clock output, i hoped that it was only sending the source clock signal through it... ... but No! It's outputing whatever the setting you have dialed in... so my 2 effects would'nt be independant anymore as all i wanted was to have the source tempo to be sync'd...

Plan B:

I'd had to use a DPDT for the Tap but i had only drilled one hole for the Tempo LED and it would only show the behavior of one of the 2 effects... blurgh blurgh blurgh blurgh... a fattie later... as i now really needed to calm down... this kind of stuff irritates me... lol.  I thought.. YES! i'll use a bicolor LED! Nooooo.. they are common positive and i need common negative for this as the blinky blinking comes as V+...meh... So i waded through the stash of LED remembering that i had once ordered wrong Tri-Color LED that had a common negative...... FOUND 'EM!

By that time, the Trem was now out as i tried bunch of things on it before i found that i had fried the tapflo, took out the TS jack for remote, replaced with a TRS isolated... will now need a TRS cable but it's ok, that flexibility i wanted is now there.

Final Gut Shot! ....well.. maybe not, i still have an issue with some DC coming out of the Trem output in the BlackFace mode and the Treble only being wonky....

I brought a mod from my past Mutron PhasorII clones into this one aswell, added a 4PDT toggle to switch between Phaser and Univibe modes and made the 4-6-8 stages switch external as it gives a good load of different filter voicings when the Vibe mode is engaged. I used Tayda LDR as i had used them successfully in my PhasorII builts and that i did'nt had any VTL5C3/2 laying around, those will be swapped as i have some on their way courtesy of Jason :)

And too go along my multi-crowded pedalboard concept i used a bit of dremelage for the enclosure finish...

Now that it's almost done... just needing couple fixes and fine tune the whole thing, it's very satsifying and will do exactly what i wanted. Props to David for putting together these circuits, they are awesome and very easy to put together despite their complexity if you do everything by the rules, thanks to Cody for the TAPFLO, legend like DMM measurements on his TwinPeak to help me out and Jason for the flawless TwinPeak setup that i ruined! Ha Ha....

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Jebus

Wow. Daaaamn that's a nice looking build!

pickdropper

Wow, that's quite a build, Rej.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

This makes me giggle. So many knobs!

Luke51411

Great build! I always love a good debug story!

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Govmnt_Lacky

I finally thought of what your build enclosures look exactly like Rej......

Rhino skin!  8)

Epic offering by the way...  :o

pryde

You lost me about 10 percent into your story but awesome work indeed. I bet it sounds excellent.

GrindCustoms

Much thanks guys!

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 23, 2015, 01:41:45 PM
I finally thought of what your build enclosures look exactly like Rej......

Rhino skin!  8)

Epic offering by the way...  :o

Thanks, that finish have made a complete round of the animal kingdom i think... hehe

Quote from: pryde on March 23, 2015, 01:44:45 PM
You lost me about 10 percent into your story but awesome work indeed. I bet it sounds excellent.

Thanks, i also got lost somewhere in there...  :o

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jimilee

Blammm. Nice job as usual Rej!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

EPIC!  :o

Quite an ordeal to make it happen, too. Can't wait to hear what it does.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

Tap, tap,  tap-a-roooo!

Thats a super build Rej.  Multis are always a pain in the ass, def harder to squeeze everything happily in there than they look.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Jakes Dad

Kind of short on knobs isn't it? 

Wow!

Chuck

Leevibe

I'm so glad you stuck with this build Rej. This is cool. This one really deserves a VIDEO!!

bcalla

This is so over the top!  So if I understand correctly, you have a single tap tempo stomp to get both effects in synch?  But you can also use the rate knobs to get them going at different speeds?  So do you have TAPFLO chips in each build?  I only see one in the Twin Peaks.