News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

colorsound overdriver

Started by cjkbug, June 15, 2011, 01:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

here is a cherrybomb build in a pedal enclosure's "yy" case that I sanded and polished, decal'd, and clear coated. I used 2n3565 transistors in it but I'm onna try a few others out to see what I like best. It has a Jack Orman relay bypass installed.  sounds really good sparkling clean boost to sustaining fuzz tones with tons of output and a powerful eq.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Man do this man got mojo.
And its working!  8)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

8) Super cool... awesome build man

masterlk

Dude! I have enjoyed all your builds recently, you have been building quite the collection. I like ture bypass relay switching you are using. Is that Jack Orman's stuff? If so, the website says that there may be a need for pulldown resistors to make it completely silent, have you needed to do that? What has been your experience with using the relay system?

Thanks

Nick

jimmybjj

Quote from: masterlk on June 15, 2011, 01:26:04 PM
Dude! I have enjoyed all your builds recently, you have been building quite the collection. I like ture bypass relay switching you are using. Is that Jack Orman's stuff? If so, the website says that there may be a need for pulldown resistors to make it completely silent, have you needed to do that? What has been your experience with using the relay system?

Thanks

Nick

+1 inquiring minds would like to know ;D
Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

Most of the circuits we build already have pull down resistors for any cap leakage.  I've used the true bypass boards Jack sells and I'm going to buy more soon.  It takes more time than a standard 3pdt and is more expensive but I find it invaluable in my playing situation to not have loud clicks when switching during "quiet" times!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

O yeah almost forgot... sweet build!  Your on fire lately.  I'm lucky if I can finish two builds a month!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

masterlk

Josh,

So they are reliable & durable? I suppose they would be at least as durable as the cheap 3pdt switches most of us are buying.

Quote from: gtr2 on June 15, 2011, 02:02:51 PM
Most of the circuits we build have already have pull down resistors for any cap leakage.  I've used the true bypass boards Jack sells and I'm going to buy more soon.  It takes more time than a standard 3pdt and is more expensive but I find it invaluable in my playing situation to not have loud clicks when switching during "quiet" times!

Josh

gtr2

Yes.  I would think if anything the relay on the board would be the first thing to crap out... The Carling momentary switches that I use for this setup have a great track record for reliability.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on June 15, 2011, 02:03:58 PM
O yeah almost forgot... sweet build!  Your on fire lately.  I'm lucky if I can finish two builds a month!

I hear you on that one! I'm making a huge habit of finishing the boards, "rockin it", and then putting it in a drawer and moving to the next. I really applause all of you who pumped out boxed builds!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

Josh
most of these were finished quite some time ago. I just finally got a photobucket account. but I do finish 2-3 builds a week. +experimental stuff and modifications.

cjkbug

Quote from: masterlk on June 15, 2011, 01:26:04 PM

Thanks

Nick
No switch is completely silent. I have owned and used almost every switcher built(vooodoo gcx,musicom labs mkII, tc g system,etc..) and this is on par with the quietest. It is a far cry from the shotgun blast of a blue switch on a high gainer set to max gain on a loud amp, he he he. The carling switches seem to be more well built. I use the "soft touch" version witch helps as well. make sure when ordering to buy the "normally open" version. There is a quite a bit more planning involved but I have had so many switches fail in a reletively short period of time that I just don't trust the $3.50 deals any more. I only buy name brand if I can help it.

cjkbug

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on June 15, 2011, 03:29:39 PM

I hear you on that one! I'm making a huge habit of finishing the boards, "rockin it", and then putting it in a drawer and moving to the next. I really applause all of you who pumped out boxed builds!
I've got boxes of circuits in various states of assembly and disassembly. Some are experiments that...ehem failed, and some that just didn't tickle me enough to start drilling a case(I hate drilling, but never am please enough with the layout of pre-drilled cases).With that said, most times I have the entire project mapped out and finished in my head before I warm up my soldering iron.

tubeman

very nice indeed. Clean too!

slimtriggers

Super clean build :o  I don't know how you do it.  Mine always have way too much wire. 

What is that insulation under your board?