Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big muff rams head clone (almost!)

Started by Coda-effects, March 21, 2015, 02:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coda-effects

Hello !
Just finished a rams head clone !

Big muff are really fun to make and to mod, so I added some features to the original design (musikding pcb) :
- a switch to boost the mids a bit, by selecting a different value of the capacitor on the tonestack (4.7nF or 10 nF)...Does not work that great. I hear a small difference but not that much... Maybe I'll try something else.
- a switch to select different input capacitor and input resistor. This is great, I have either 33k + 0.1uF or 15k +0.01uF, so I have either a smooth bassy sound or something more trebly and agressive.

I used the 73 version values all along the rest of the design, true bypass in a BB polished enclosure.
I used Wima MKP2 capacitors for most caps.
I changed the transistors to diminish a bit the gaininess of the unit and noise:
BC559C at the beginning
2n5089 for the clipping stages
MPSA18 for the volume section
I tried to get the original knobs to make it look a bit like the first big muff (smaller and with side jacks ^^)

It sounds really good, like a muff ! A huge doom machine for stoner and deaf people's music. I wanted to test it quickly, but then I spend one hour playing QOTSA, Kyuss, Sleep and Fu Manchu ! (and a bit of Pink Floyd of course)

If you have any ides for the mid switch, it would be great !!
Thanks !

Jebus

Love it, great build! One idea for switch: I've read people completely bypassing the tonestack, but don't know how that sounds.

micromegas

gorgeous in and out. Wima's are always classy  ;D
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io