News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD: Les Paul Peace (2014) - Blue Burst

Started by culturejam, March 20, 2015, 11:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Just got this baby yesterday. Couldn't resist the Sweetwater 36-month 0% deal. I tried like hell, but once madbean said he'd gotten a Princeton Reissue with that deal, I folded like a cheap card table.   ;D  I also always partially blame Curtis when a new guitar follows me home. But, for a mere $69 a month, I have a great guitar that won't throw a wrench into the family budget machinery.

I went with Tranquility Blue Burst (after much first-world gnashing of teeth). I picked the top that had the least amount of obvious regular flame, opting instead for some neat north/south pin-striping (not sure what the proper term for this type of wood grain figuring is). Overall, the look sort of reminds me of that old comfy pair of blue jeans you've had for years and they fit and feel just right. :)

I went over the whole guitar with a very picky eye (we're dealing with Gibson QC here, after all), and I'm pleased to report that overall fit and finish is exceptional. Binding is nice, headstock inlay is very neat, etc. My only gripe is that the toggle switch cap was slightly roughed up on the top. And it's the vintage amber color, while the rest of the plastics are cream (but that's how it's supposed to be, according to Gibson). Who knows why.

The Min eTune works as advertised for me. Pretty cool. However, I'm not crazy about having to charge my guitar, so I'll be replacing the system with a set of Grover lockers. 30:1 is neat, but it takes a lot longer to tune manually. But the system does work quite well, and if I gigged a lot of songs that required constant tuning changes (or any sort of gigging on the regular), I'd keep it on there. It's worth checking out before dismissing. But, selling it means I can pay off the guitar faster, so that's another plus.

Pickups are quite nice, although I've not really had a lot of time to asses them fully. Gibson calls them "61" humbuckers, and they are also on some other 2014 models. I see (nor hear) no reason to change them. They are maybe a little brighter than my other humbuckers, but not so much as to verge away from a classic bucker sound. The neck pickup is really nice, as it's very clear.

The neck is on the thin side, but still feels like a Les Paul. No nibs. I don't care a whole lot either way, just noting it.

I'll be replacing the knobs and the truss rod cover. The TRC is atrocious, and I have no idea what Gibson was thinking there. Just dumb. I'm leaving the stop bar as is (for now) since you can barely see the "Peace" letters. The peace sign studs I rather like, so those stay.

I may take off the pick guard. I'll try it both ways and see how it looks.

Interestingly, the back is finished in very dark trans blue. It looks almost black until you get it in the right light. I directly flashed it to show the color and grain in the one back pick below.

The case is weird. I like the color and feel on the outside, and the inside tie-dye design is unique and interesting. But the fasteners are just odd. They don't feel like they lock into place, even though they are actually quite secure. It's probably just a "feel" thing, but I don't care for it. Not enough to ditch it and get another, but it's something to bitch about (this being the internet). The sort of hand-drawn peace sign they put on the case is dumb looking. I would have liked it had then done something more intentionally looking. Bummer. Oh well.

Overall, I dig this guitar quite a bit. Buying online is always a lottery, and I feel like I got very lucky here. It's very easy playing and just feels nice.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

bcalla

I never lusted after a Les Paul, but this time I get it!  Wow, that is a piece of art.  I'd lose the truss rod cover, but keep the knobs.

flanagan0718

That's a beauty. I've only seen a few in this finish, great color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooder

Very nice peaceful score there! Congrats!
BigNoise Amplification

pryde

From a clinically-diagnosed LP addict, a big congrats! Wow is she nice  :)

culturejam

Thanks guys! I'm chuffed to bits!

Quote from: pryde on March 21, 2015, 01:22:54 AM
From a clinically-diagnosed LP addict, a big congrats! Wow is she nice  :)

Today I had to admit that I have official crossed over from being merely a Les Paul Enthusiast into the realm of wanna-be collector.  ;D

TGP39

Beautiful choice. I like how sweetwater lets you choose the exact guitar from their inventory.  Just be ready to get bombarded with phone calls from customer service for the next few years. Lol. :)

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

culturejam

Quote from: TGP39 on March 21, 2015, 02:19:37 AM
Beautiful choice. I like how sweetwater lets you choose the exact guitar from their inventory.  Just be ready to get bombarded with phone calls from customer service for the next few years. Lol. :)

I've been a customer for a few years now, and have bought 3 guitars from them. My rep is cool and doesn't call me unless I call him first and leave a message. My guy is Greg Savino. Maybe switch reps?

jubal81

Shazam!
That's gorgeous.  :o

Good thing they don't cary Rics. Id've probably gone in on that financing deal.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

We now need a pic of you with your TieDye DIY shirts and that LP with the case on the floor playing in the subway.  ;D

Nice grab man!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

culturejam

Ahhhhhh, better already! I happened to have a blank "historic" TRC in my parts bin, so on she went.  8)

Here's a shot of the innards of the case. Groovy, baby.

playpunk

Sweet! I kinda like blue guitars.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

bcalla

The black TRC is a huge improvement.  I like the tie-dye look of the inside top of the case.  You must be a hippie, what with the peace signs and all.   :D

billstein

Quote from: bcalla on March 21, 2015, 09:47:07 PM
You must be a hippie, what with the peace signs and all.   :D

Yeah! Cut your  hair!

Oh and beautiful guitar.

jkokura

That's pretty sweet looking. I don't like Les Pauls, but that case and paint job is pretty.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals