News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What to do with cheap removed pickups

Started by Luke51411, March 20, 2015, 06:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Just wondering if anyone has come across any interesting projects that cheap pickups. I removed a set from a squier strat and It doesn't seem like its worth selling them, I figure I should do something with them. If nothing else maybe I'll use them in a cigar box guitar.
Is it possible to get good results taking them apart and rewinding?

jimilee

Believe it or not, I've sold some on eBay. Crazy I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Luke51411

Quote from: jimilee on March 20, 2015, 06:30:55 PM
Believe it or not, I've sold some on eBay. Crazy I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe it. They actually didn't sound bad but nothing to write home about either. I have a listing for the whole wiring harness up on ebay but I don't know if I can sell it for enough to make it worth while, I just wonder if there is anything cool that could be done with them if I can't

juansolo

Ebay every time. You have no trouble selling them
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Luke51411

Quote from: juansolo on March 20, 2015, 07:18:49 PM
Ok. I guess I'm probably better off selling them individually then. That usually holds true, I just thought maybe I could just get rid of them in one fell swoop. Haha. I sold the bridge and tuners but the person hasn't paid yet after 4 days...

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

snz728

Diddley bow. Been planning to make one for the kids to play with.

culturejam

You can sub in a pickup for an inductor in a wah. Sounds a little different, but it generally works. If you have a way to measure inductance (LCR meter), it's more useful.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mremic01

The guys on the Seymour Duncan forums will usually buy cheap oem pickups.

culturejam

Also, you could send them to Timbo for rewinding into something nice.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Luke51411

Quote from: culturejam on March 21, 2015, 03:53:05 AM
Also, you could send them to Timbo for rewinding into something nice.
Cool, I wasn't sure if rewinding could produce better results. I will definitely consider that.

Luke51411

Quote from: juansolo on March 20, 2015, 07:18:49 PM
What's the typical going rate on ebay?

midwayfair

Pickup simulator so you can run a buffer in front of a fuzz

drolo

If they are the kind with a ceramic magnet that can be removed, you could use them as dummy coils for silencing guitars with single coils.

blearyeyes

I say take all used discarded pickups, guitar electronics, Failed CD/DVD burns, failed pedal pcbs, obsolete computer cards, motherboards, hard drives, DAT decks, floppy discs etc. and attach them to a board. Splatter some paint or take a small blow torch to it or the artistic touch of your choice and frame it. Title it "The Passage of Atomic Time" and hang it on a wall then sell it for $50k to fund your music and electronic endeavors.  :o