News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cardinal Version 2 #1

Started by midwayfair, March 20, 2015, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

My first build of the new version of the Cardinal ... this is the analog version, using a quad op amp variant of the Lune's LFO that I've posted a couple times.

Unfortunately, I don't get to keep it: it's going to a customer in Ohio. This is the first time I won't own the original completed build of one of my designs (but I have something JUST FOR ME on my work bench, mwa ha ha). :-\ The cobbler's children always go barefoot.

The art was a lot plainer than previous builds, but my wife thought that the minimalist approach made the silhouette stand out more. The Rate indicator is wired as bypass through the optotron, so I was able to get all my favorite features into the pedal. And observant people will notice that even though it's a quad op amp instead of a dual, the layout is smaller and the parts count is lower compared with Version 1.

Since it ships out today, I actually have to build another one before I can film/record a demo.

When I have some time, I'll be posting a new project thread with my perfboard layout and the schematic. The basics are that it has more headroom, sounds and works more like the amps, and corrects a lot of unusual bits of the audio path from Version 1. It does sound different from Version 1 -- I do know that a couple of the things I considered "bugs" some people considered features -- so I also definitely think it's worth having both around.

Luke51411

Awesome build and design! I like the minimalist approach for the aesthetics. It's kind of sad sending out a pedal shortly after completion but hey if it funds the next one...

jubal81

Fantastic! Can't wait to hear it. Not looking forward to tearing up the ReVibe, but it might have to be done ...
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jprizz

Noooooooooooooo! I haven't finished my V1 Cardinal and I already want this!

peAk

Looks great and can't wait.....

I am finishing my version 1 this weekend  :-\

nzCdog

I always look forward to seeing your builds Jon!  Love it, the art is really sweet as usual.... better hunt down a demo of this cardinal! :D

Morgan

Awesome - can't wait to build it!

Quote from: midwayfair on March 20, 2015, 04:05:57 PM
The cobbler's children always go barefoot.
lol!  ;D
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

cooder

Awesome! Looking forward to that one for sure!
BigNoise Amplification

m-Kresol

I just realized on a second look how freaky clean the guts are. Where are the wires for the pots!?? Wonderful job, one happy customer for sure
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

chordball

Sweet! Looking forward to hearing this.

selfdestroyer

Looks fantastic Jon. Look forward to your video for the new layout in the future. I agree with you wife, the minimalist way of the art works well with this pedal.

Cody

rullywowr

Quote from: midwayfair on March 20, 2015, 04:05:57 PM
The cobbler's children always go barefoot.

Love this!  Nice, Jon.  The original Cardinal was a great success.  Looking forward to this new version.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

GrindCustoms

Jeebus! You've scaled down that layout by a lot!

Nice work man :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

matmosphere

Nice, your stuff is always so cleanly done. Out of curiosity how do you paint the enclosures, is it acrylic paint? Model paint? I assume you do a clear coat over everything too.

midwayfair

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 22, 2015, 01:34:13 PM
Nice, your stuff is always so cleanly done. Out of curiosity how do you paint the enclosures, is it acrylic paint? Model paint? I assume you do a clear coat over everything too.

I use mostly Tamiya acrylics. The base coat is always something from Pedal Parts Plus (some finishes work better than others). The clear coat is usually something by Krylon in many many thin coats.