News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Calling all Finish Line Relay users!

Started by kinski, March 19, 2015, 04:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

I'm quite interested in making the switch over to relay in my builds. Finish Line looks great.

However, I'm concerned about having a popping sounds when engaged. I've only had one pedal in the past (before I built my own!) that had a relay and it had a VERY loud pop. It was useless to me because of that. Can you guys chime in a bit and let me know if you notice any popping and if so, how loud it is?

Also, when engaging the relay on/off does the sound cut out at all? I'd need a continuous sound as I turn pedals on and off.

Thanks for your input!

cooder

My two cents: I have used and dig the finish line, works great for me. I find the switching that it provides very good and it doesn't give me a loud pop or so. Sound is very continous through the switching.
Out of 20 or so pedals that I built with it only one had some popping issue which seemed to be more related to the actual circuit; adding a pull down resistor made it quiet.

I'm also using THCustom Ueberswitch which I like as well, those have a very short 'ducking' that surpresses any possible popping and work well too IMO. However, there's a slightly noticeable drop out in sound due to that ducking, so it might not be the best for you.

I'm sold on the relay switching and much prefer it to the blue 3PDT switches.
BigNoise Amplification

Muadzin

I'm using the TH Custom Uberswitch as well, two parallel as a stereo switch to bring in my delays which are a stereo loop. I first tried it in an all in one beast of a looper, which had like 7 different loops, splitters and buffers and which had my final two stereo loops popping like hell, even the relay switches, which were supposed to be dead silent. Which made me think there was some funky ground loop stuff going on. I build a separate looper for my two stereo loops, got 4 TH Custom Uberswitch kits for them and now they are dead silent. Just the way I wanted it.

I don't think I will go full relay on all my switches, as generally I'm very satisfied with blue 3PDT switches, and pull down resistors usually take care of any problems. But with delays the slightest pop will be work through for a while so there I want dead silence switching. So if you're anal about that, then relay switches should be your thing.

kinski

Thanks for your input! Just saw these replies now.