New PRS Vela

Started by raulduke, March 11, 2015, 05:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

I don't normally like PRS guitars.

But I think this one is looking really nice:

God damn GAS ;D

jubal81

The one PRS I think looks great is the Mira and this reminds me of an 'offset Mira.' Cool indeed.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pryde

Quote from: jubal81 on March 11, 2015, 05:21:43 PM
The one PRS I think looks great is the Mira and this reminds me of an 'offset Mira.' Cool indeed.

I like the Mira as well. Just had one in for a pickup swap and it was a really sweet fiddle. I think the one piece stoptail bridge is great and intonated perfectly. Simple is best.

I like that vela up there as well.

rullywowr

Want!  Wonder what the price will be...  They say "affordable" I wonder what that means.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

slimtriggers

Nice!

Quote from: rullywowr on March 11, 2015, 07:16:52 PM
Want!  Wonder what the price will be...  They say "affordable" I wonder what that means.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S2VelaDAW

"Affordable" is always a relative term.

jkokura

That's a weird guitar. Looks a little like a start with the horns, a little like a Jag/Jazz style offset, it's got a mini bucker/gretsch pickup in the neck, and a tele style barrel bridge...

Too many genes in that pool for me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Quote from: jkokura on March 11, 2015, 08:51:38 PM
Too many genes in that pool for me.

Me, too. I feel that way about most PRS guitars. They are *almost* something else, but not quite.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

Looks like a cool offset to me. I would rock it.

Cody

GermanCdn

I have an aversion to the S2 series, but I like the Vela, especially with the SC in the neck.  Would actually prefer it with a trem though.

As for those that don't get the PRS appeal, go play a 408, a DGT, and a Studio.  You'll get it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 11, 2015, 10:10:31 PM
I have an aversion to the S2 series, but I like the Vela, especially with the SC in the neck.  Would actually prefer it with a trem though.

As for those that don't get the PRS appeal, go play a 408, a DGT, and a Studio.  You'll get it.

Of those three, which do you like best?  Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

Quote from: pickdropper on March 11, 2015, 10:31:48 PM

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 11, 2015, 10:10:31 PM

Of those three, which do you like best?  Just curious.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After seeing a bunch of YT videos on PRS I'm curious too. Pretty sure there is one in my future.

GermanCdn

Honestly, the pickups in the 408 are phenomenal.  Splitting the coils adds 1500 wraps to the isolated single, resulting in a beefier single coil tone with no volume drop.

The Studio is also really slick.  I love the 57/08 bridge with the narrowfields.

The DGT is a sooped up McCarty.  Plays great, good pickups, and it's stock setup is 11-52'for those who like the heavier strings.  Only thing I don't like about it is the backwards volume controls.

Out of the three, if I had to pick 1, it would probably be the 408, though I'd probably get the trem version not the hardtail.  But definitely test drive it first; like most things Paul, you won't find a retrofit pickup for it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

alanp

The picture in the OP reminds me of those American "supermarket guitars" from medieval times.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 11, 2015, 11:10:37 PM
Honestly, the pickups in the 408 are phenomenal.  Splitting the coils adds 1500 wraps to the isolated single, resulting in a beefier single coil tone with no volume drop.

The Studio is also really slick.  I love the 57/08 bridge with the narrowfields.

The DGT is a sooped up McCarty.  Plays great, good pickups, and it's stock setup is 11-52'for those who like the heavier strings.  Only thing I don't like about it is the backwards volume controls.

Out of the three, if I had to pick 1, it would probably be the 408, though I'd probably get the trem version not the hardtail.  But definitely test drive it first; like most things Paul, you won't find a retrofit pickup for it.

Thanks Curt.

I've played a 408 and they are cool guitars.  The P22 is pretty cool as well.  I am still leaning towards just getting an older Custom 22 in Black Cherry and calling it a day.  At least with that, I could put in the pickups I prefer.

The only thing I am unsure of is the neck shape.  I've found that I can live with most PRS shapes just fine, but I don't know that I've ever played one that I absolutely loved.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

raulduke

The 'blingness' of PRS guitars has always put me off.

Can't be doing with acqua transparent finishes, AAA+ flame book matched top, bird inlays, fancy schmancy stuff.

I like the look of some of the S2 series though. The Starla with bigsby also looks nice.

I think PRS reputation for quality stands out. You don't hear about many lemon PRS's  :)