News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1776 Rub-a-dub deluxe: Who has built one?

Started by Beedoola, March 11, 2015, 05:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I'm trying to get opinions on how it compares to the first RDD and other Belton 2 circuits.

What are you thoughts on the Deluxe? Could you possibly make a demo? There is only 2 on youtube from the same user (a poster from this forum).

Can the reverb get dark with the Tone control?

selfdestroyer

Timbo has some demo up on Soundcloud of his builds. He has made quite a few RAD and RADDs. Might be a good place to start.

https://soundcloud.com/timbo_93631

I have built quite a few RADs with long bricks and a couple with short bricks and I love the simplicity of them and its a great spring reverb sound, if that's what you are going for. The RADD is a great addition to the DIY reverbs but I only have made 2 of them. Most of my friends love the "one knob to rule them all" routine. If you are looking for very ambient sounding reverb I would suggest the Madbeans Moodring, GrindCustomsFX Tenebrion or the Space Chasm from Deadastronaut.

My father runs 2 RADs on his board, one pre-looper and one post-looper. He like to be able to record some fat reverb and add a touch on the over all loop. I have a Moodring on my board and love it. hope this helps in some way.

Cody

juansolo

Being a big fan of the RaD, I made my Deluxe like a RaD. IE one knob for the verb and the other selects the size of the tank (done with a rotary switch and resistors). I detailed how I did it on my site, as I tend to because otherwise I'd lose the infos.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Beedoola

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 11, 2015, 06:02:25 PM
Timbo has some demo up on Soundcloud of his builds. He has made quite a few RAD and RADDs. Might be a good place to start.

I have built quite a few RADs with long bricks and a couple with short bricks and I love the simplicity of them and its a great spring reverb sound, if that's what you are going for. The RADD is a great addition to the DIY reverbs but I only have made 2 of them. Most of my friends love the "one knob to rule them all" routine. If you are looking for very ambient sounding reverb I would suggest the Madbeans Moodring, GrindCustomsFX Tenebrion or the Space Chasm from Deadastronaut.

My father runs 2 RADs on his board, one pre-looper and one post-looper. He like to be able to record some fat reverb and add a touch on the over all loop. I have a Moodring on my board and love it. hope this helps in some way.

Cody

I'm not looking for an ambient sounding reverb. I'm not looking for a total spring emulation either. I was hoping with the added controls of the RADD that I could get some subtle reverbs to some more drenched reverbs. They don't need to be over the top, as I'd be using it with my half stack, into the front end of the amp, and a little reverb goes a long way at those volumes.

I also was hoping the inherent modulation of the Belton 2 would no longer be there, or be as apparent, with the 3, as I didn't care for the B2's modulation.

I mean the modulation can be cool for certain purposes but I didn't like it for the sound(s) I wanted.

gtr2

It would fit the bill for all the things you want...except...it does have the inherent modulation like the BTDR-2H.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

micromegas

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 11, 2015, 06:02:25 PM

Timbo has soundcloud? Following :)

I love my RAD. Medium brick (as sugested by Forest once in a thread, the best of both worlds, not too radical nor too springy).
Mix stays at half rotation most of the time. I put a big knob there so I can move it with the foot.

Nice sounding reverb, but I'm going to build a deluxe version just to compare.

If you want to get rid of the modulation, you can always go with the bricks Raulduke discovered not so long ago:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=19769.msg192247#msg192247
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Beedoola

Quote from: gtr2 on March 11, 2015, 10:46:56 PM
It would fit the bill for all the things you want...except...it does have the inherent modulation like the BTDR-2H.

Josh

Is the modulation the same as the 2? - in length and depth. I don't mind if it is slight or hidden. I found the mod really noticeable on the 2

gtr2

I think it is less on the short decay setting on the new brick but once you extend the decay I find it similar.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

selfdestroyer

Quote from: gtr2 on March 11, 2015, 11:13:30 PM
I think it is less on the short decay setting on the new brick but once you extend the decay I find it similar.

Josh

Agreed. There is just no way around "some" modulation with the Belton bricks. At least that's what I have found from the 5 or 6 different reverbs I have built with the  bricks. I'm actually moving over to a FV-1 chip to play with more reverb.

Cody

Beedoola

Quote from: gtr2 on March 11, 2015, 11:13:30 PM

Josh

Does the decay time control work the same as if you had a choice between the small, medium and large B2 bricks?
That is; can the B2 cop all the tones the RAD could with all 3 bricks?

With the B2, each size determines the decay or pre-delay and decay?

Is the pre delay the same on the B3 or does it change given the adjustment of the controls?

gtr2

Predelay doesn't change much.

The BTDR-3H decay covers all the choices of the version 2 brick with a 10kB pot and you can also get a much longer decay if you use a 100kB pot.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

I love the simplicity of my Rub a Dub build. The medium belton brick is my personal favourite (jack of all trades)

Personally I quite like the modulation as well  ;D

I had an EHX Cathedral Verb for a while, and the endless options on it actually became a hindrance as there was always an urge to tweak settings.

Beedoola

Quote from: raulduke on March 12, 2015, 12:38:34 PM
I love the simplicity of my Rub a Dub build. The medium belton brick is my personal favourite (jack of all trades)

Personally I quite like the modulation as well  ;D

I had an EHX Cathedral Verb for a while, and the endless options on it actually became a hindrance as there was always an urge to tweak settings.

I agree about the potential hinderances of options! Thats why I sold my Timefactor. Great, great delay, but I really didn't need all the options and presets.

I had an original Spring Chicken years ago and really liked being able to just adjust the knob with my foot and have that be all I need to worry about in terms of reverb adjustment.

I saw you were messing around with other reverb sources in the link someone above linked. Have you built the RADD?

juansolo

Options smoptions. All the options you need: ;)

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Quote from: Beedoola on March 13, 2015, 12:53:14 AM
I saw you were messing around with other reverb sources in the link someone above linked. Have you built the RADD?

Yes this module worked perfect with the Rub-a-Dub circuit: http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/pcatdtl0?ipartno=NemFxReverb2-Room-MH

I would say it sounded a bit more refined than the Belton brick modules (far less noticeable modulation on the tail).

However, I couldn't tell any difference between the spring and room modules, or between the different decay settings available. I think perhaps the chips might have been programmed differently to what the data-sheet suggests  :o. The jumper links were also way too small to reliably solder switches too.

Even considering the above they would still be a good alternative option to try with a one knob Rub-a-Dub build.