News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bulk Enclosure Buy: Asking for Advice/Opinions

Started by BrianS, March 11, 2015, 03:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmora

Yeah, communication was a little slow (time zone and language difference - neither are deal-breakers though). First experience was good overall. Follow-up, not so positive. The truth is, I didn't get the reply I wanted so I don't want to immediately blacklist them.

stevie1556

I order a lot of bits from aliexpress (found a brilliant supplier of 3PDT switches on there), and I haven't had any problems. I generally order IC's, transistors, diodes, etc, especially as I can't get some of the bits I use in SMD otherwise, and they have all worked and been within spec. However, I know someone who ordered over 150 boxes from a couple of sources in China, and wanted me to coat them. I didn't think the quality of them was that great, and cleaning them with acetone before I powder coated them, I've never seen so much crap come off of a enclosure. For what it's worth, buy the enclosures more locally so you know the quality you're getting, especially if they are more or less the same price, and definitely consider the cost of import tax if you get hit with it ( in the UK it seems Tayda orders sent in a jiffy bag are fine, but boxes always get caught in my experience). Import tax can be a real deal breaker, as I found out with my laser cutter upgrade kit, and it pushed it more into the territory of buying a ready built upgraded one for the same price bracket.

BrianS

Well after the responses I think I am going to Opt out on doing this. Whether I would get hit with an import tax is unknown but if per chance I did that would cut out more of any realized savings. I appreciate the advice from all of you. Ive only been building pedals since last Nov and as I have watched my collection grow from 1 to 20 pedals and another 10 or so boards in my shop or on the way the thought process was to buy the usually most costly part in bulk. There should be some anti addiction medicine produced for pedal builders LOL.  This hobby has turned into a freaking obsession.