News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bulk Enclosure Buy: Asking for Advice/Opinions

Started by BrianS, March 11, 2015, 03:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianS

I am looking to make a personal bulk purchase of 50 boxes (35 125bs,10 1590bbs, 5 1590dds) and have gotten a quote from daier out of China. One of the members over at DIYSB has bought from them and says they're good. Total is around $220 with FEDEX shipping.  Can anyone chime in here and let me know if this is a good/not good idea, had dealings with them or knows of another supplier with a better price? The price (a little over $4 a box) looks great. I build for myself and friends so the best quality is not a big concern.  This will keep me supplied for a couple of years. Would really like some experienced opinions from you all? Thanks,
Brian

flanagan0718

My personal opinion. Email Lawrence at bitcheslovemyswitches. He's a really cool guy and might be able to hook you up. Plus they would be coming from NY so they would get to you faster. I, personally, would rather give him the business.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 11, 2015, 03:46:54 PM
My personal opinion. Email Lawrence at bitcheslovemyswitches. He's a really cool guy and might be able to hook you up. Plus they would be coming from NY so they would get to you faster. I, personally, would rather give him the business.

+1

Lawrence is a cool dude to work with.

Cody

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Luke51411

I priced out 1590BBs from what's posted on the BLMS website compared to that same source and I think it only ended up being 30 cents more per box in quantity of 10 he may be able to get you a similar deal as the Chinese source. For me, I prefer to pay a minuscule amount more for a known quantity from a good guy with excellent customer service and fast shipping. Now if you aren't in the US then it will be a bit different situation.

circusbrains

I just got some 1590C's from Lawrence and I'm super pleased.
He always ships fast.  And can you beat his shipping rates?

Luke51411

It feels like free shipping if you order in quantity.

BrianS

I have purchased boxes from Lawrence before and you are correct in he's a good guy. He's the first site I looked at and he's out of 125b's right now. For everything I want it's around a $60 more.

rullywowr

Totally agree with the above..  Lawrence at BLMS is a great stop for enclosures.  All the ones I get from him powder coat nicely.  Just clean with acetone, prebake/outgas, and shoot powder.  Excellent prices, fast shipping, and great customer service. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: BrianS on March 11, 2015, 04:55:32 PM
I have purchased boxes from Lawrence before and you are correct in he's a good guy. He's the first site I looked at and he's out of 125b's right now. For everything I want it's around a $60 more.

Brian, Lawrence does advertise to be the cheapest, toss him a email and see if he is able to match the price.. worth a shot.

Cody

BrianS

Tried that and he said that his established prices were the best he could do which is good with me. My main purpose was to see if anyone else bought bulk overseas and it appears that most people buy from Lawrence. I like to save money when I can but I am a little hesitant of buying overseas with just one persons recommendation.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: BrianS on March 11, 2015, 08:27:44 PM
Tried that and he said that his established prices were the best he could do which is good with me. My main purpose was to see if anyone else bought bulk overseas and it appears that most people buy from Lawrence. I like to save money when I can but I am a little hesitant of buying overseas with just one persons recommendation.

That makes sense. I unfortunately can not be much help since I get enclosure from the US only. Maybe do a small order with the overseas company to see how it goes before you drop 200+ on enclosures.

Cody

AntKnee

Where does Tayda get theirs? Maybe its the same place. They are in Malaysia or something like that. I know the Tayda boxes are of decent quality.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

marmora

I ordered from daier in Nov 2013. It was a small order, mainly to see check the quality of parts. I only ordered a couple of enclosures to keep shipping down, but everything seemed to be the same as what I have ordered from Tayda (knobs, switches etc).
They did make a mistake. I ordered 5mm LED bezel and they sent 3mm. When I asked them about this they said just remind us next time you order and we'll send them with.
Fast forward 6 months later when I finally wanted to place another order with them. I contacted them for a quote and was told I could no longer order small quantities. Certain items had minimums of 10, 100 or even 500 pieces. I told them I couldn't afford to order that much at the moment, but would appreciate the correct parts being sent...and I never heard back.

BrianS

Well Steve that is the kind of info I was looking for. I am also having some difficulty communicating with them. I know there is a time difference so this part is also really slow too.  I asked for a quote in plain metal and one for white and they sent one quote. So early this morning I sent an email back asking what the quote was for and asked for the other one. Haven't heard back.