News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone make a plain, basic 3pdt board?

Started by AntKnee, March 10, 2015, 07:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

alanp

Maybe I'm just a stingy bugger, but...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Quote from: alanp on March 11, 2015, 06:10:58 AM
Maybe I'm just a stingy bugger, but...

This is why i tried to make mine as small / cheap as possible, i tend to agree Alan, its just another expense.

Why isnt there an etchable 3pdt pcb available?  Is it the pads for the 3pdt? Couldnt you just make massive oversized pads for the 3pdt lugs and use a standard drill bit (1.5-2mm) to drill them out?  I'll look into making up an etchable version of my layout when i get a few moments.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

blearyeyes

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/isbogS3B

Simple, Chuckbuick made these..under a buck each..

raulduke

Those ChuckBuick ones looks nice.

I like to use em (my own design) and its purely for aesthetic reasons TBH.

They keep things looking nice and neat.

I used to use two-part connectors on my boards to allow to separate the 3PDT switch from the FX PCB.

Haven't bothered with that for a long while though  ;D

midwayfair

Quote from: davent on March 10, 2015, 11:19:05 PM
Enlighten me, still have to strip all the wires, now have twice as many solder joints to make, looks like it's going to take more and longer heating to solder to the lugs then if just soldering a thin wire to a lug so more chance of buggering the switch. Is this entirely an aesthetic thing?
dave

If you have to remove the PCB for some reason, you desolder wires from a PCB instead of from the switch. There is less chance of damaging the switch.

You also don't have to solder a resistor to the LED legs if the PCB doesn't include the CLR.

jimilee

I would probably pay attention more to what I'm doing....maybe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

If i need the pcb out I just remove the switch from the enclosure along with everything else, never considered detaching the switch.

Depending on the build the led can be either side of the switch so it's wiring migrates to the outside closests and also often orient the switch turned 90°... so nothing to be gained and just like alanp said...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

Quote from: midwayfair on March 11, 2015, 02:48:27 PM
Enlighten me, still have to strip all the wires, now have twice as many solder joints to make, looks like it's going to take more and longer heating to solder to the lugs then if just soldering a thin wire to a lug so more chance of buggering the switch. Is this entirely an aesthetic thing?
dave

If you have to remove the PCB for some reason, you desolder wires from a PCB instead of from the switch. There is less chance of damaging the switch.

You also don't have to solder a resistor to the LED legs if the PCB doesn't include the CLR.

Exactly this.  Plus it gives a nice spot to mount the LED itself without resorting to a bezel.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: rullywowr on March 11, 2015, 10:44:22 PM

Quote from: midwayfair on March 11, 2015, 02:48:27 PM
dave

Exactly this.  Plus it gives a nice spot to mount the LED itself without resorting to a bezel.

This is the very first reason why I started using them when I first started building. I hate LED mounting. I am not a fan of bezels and did not like the look for hot glue. So using a daughter board to hold a LED in is a win in my book. Then I started realizing how much I hate offboard wiring and that was another reason to stay with the daughter board.

Cody

chromesphere

Not sure if theres an etchable 3pdt option.  Anyway, wacked this together, haven't tested it but should work.  Couple of small traces, should be ..ok.. for etching.  Drill out 2mm holes for 3pdt holes.  Will only fit PCB lug 3pdt's.

Let me know if anything needs adjusting.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

selfdestroyer

peAk

I like them and I am especially found of the 1776 ones.

At around $1.50 a piece, I don't see it as that much added expense. Unless of course you are selling a lot of pedals and trying to maximize profits.

For me, it also seems quicker than wiring a switch.