News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Booteekers, i'm calling you out!

Started by GrindCustoms, March 08, 2015, 08:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

As i know that lots of booteek builders visit this forum, i thought that i'd share my facebook page rant of the night...

I don't mean to sound like an ass here but... ...this matter have been weighting on me for a while now.
All of our DIY layouts are allowed to be used for production by small builders and even larger scale as it have happened many times and it's something that i'm proud of as it shows that our stuff delivers the goods and that is appreciated by a mass of players.
Though, the only thing that bugz me a bit is when pedal builder uses our schems, values per values, make their own PCB and then claim that it's their original design. The GrindCrew is made of people that are passionate of this hobby and our biggest reward is knowing that our circuits are enjoyed.
So yeah, feel free to use our stuff for your personal buisness, just let us know by a message or email, we'll appreciate it but mostly, a form of respect and honesty will be showed.

End of rant.

Rej

This does'nt just apply to us, but to any PCB Flogger that comes out with original designs, make them public so the DIY community can enjoy it.

My point is simply that there's too much bullshit out there.  :-\

If the mods judge that this is inappropriate, i will understand.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Rej vents!

Rightly so. The DIY FX community is a tight knit group of enthusiasts who do it for the love of it. We all turn out odd pedals to fund the addiction/hobby. A lot of it runs on good will and trust.

A few times now a chancer has come along and taken the piss. Basically straight ripping off DIY designs and selling them commercially as their own. Usually as a boutique item (I hate that expression).

Please don't be a wanker.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

I don't make anything public on the internet without the expectation that it will be used. So I just make things Creative Commons, perhaps out of despair, but also because I really do believe in the free exchange of ideas ...

I think it's douchy not to give credit. I don't need someone to even tell me that they made a product from one of my designs (or anything else of mine ... my music is all creative commons as well), but I absolutely get upset if I'm not credited.

[derail]

So I've never looked at your Facebook page (I barely use Facebook; I prefer Twitter), and I scrolled down a bit and saw your drawing of that EF86 circuit.

I'm going to sound like a complete and total nerd, but:

(a) Your hand-drawn schematics are really pretty.
(b) So is your SIGNATURE.

[/derail]

GrindCustoms

Quote from: midwayfair on March 08, 2015, 05:59:23 PM
I don't make anything public on the internet without the expectation that it will be used. So I just make things Creative Commons, perhaps out of despair, but also because I really do believe in the free exchange of ideas ...

I think it's douchy not to give credit. I don't need someone to even tell me that they made a product from one of my designs (or anything else of mine ... my music is all creative commons as well), but I absolutely get upset if I'm not credited.

[derail]

So I've never looked at your Facebook page (I barely use Facebook; I prefer Twitter), and I scrolled down a bit and saw your drawing of that EF86 circuit.

I'm going to sound like a complete and total nerd, but:

(a) Your hand-drawn schematics are really pretty.
(b) So is your SIGNATURE.

[/derail]

I've stopped to care about making the schems public or not, in the end... ...once the build doc is out anyone can access it and all of the info is right there.
Same goes with Members project right here... you can't really hide anything. Only thing we can hope for is that the users have a fair conscience, but sadly, a lot of time, not.

When i see those shitons of Tenebrion Reverb out there under another name, i'm kind of happy as it proves that we did our homework correctly, but at the same time... i'm like... why the hell did'nt you let me know. I also go along the lines of Creative Commons/Open Source... but just like Tesla... you end up being ripped off. lol

About the derail, it's all about the lefty hand ;)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jubal81

I take the same attitude as Jon, pretty much.

If I post a schematic or project online, I'm pretty much letting it go. Don't think there's any point in trying to keep 'dibs' on anything you're posting for the whole world to see. Really, I don't care if I'm credited, either.

I think the one thing that would really irk me is if someone didn't even bother making their own layout and copied mine 1:1.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mremic01

I used the Sunking layout for a long time for klone builds as a small (barely) commercial operation, though I had altered the PCB artwork quite a bit. I was always explicit about this in my listings. My reseller would never mention it. That always bothered me and we've since parted ways.

m-Kresol

I totally agree with what has been said before. This is why I'll put the name of the creator(s) on the pcbs if I'm not the one who did come up with the circuit itself (see my latest arcadiator).
And just as a small heads up: I'm working on two projects, both of which will include an optical bypass, which is entirely based in yours/1776 opto-bypass systems. I hope that's cool with you.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

culturejam

I don't think Rej cares if somebody builds the same circuit. I think what bothers him is that people are claiming they created the circuit and taking credit for the idea/concept/whatever.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GrindCustoms

Quote from: culturejam on March 08, 2015, 09:00:50 PM
I don't think Rej cares if somebody builds the same circuit. I think what bothers him is that people are claiming they created the circuit and taking credit for the idea/concept/whatever.

+1

hoodoo

So Rej, how was Bill, when you rang him to discuss the Chimaera  ;)

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on March 08, 2015, 09:00:50 PM

I assumed there was another thread comparing boutique klones, many of which were built on the same Chimaera board.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Quote from: hoodoo on March 09, 2015, 12:19:28 AM
So Rej, how was Bill, when you rang him to discuss the Chimaera  ;)

I'm forever thankfull to Bill, he've been my bread and butter for a long time ;)

Though, i never claimed that the Chimaera was MY design but a Klone layout made from the various schem floating on the internet, never took credit of it. I've sold it in small, see huge batch, doing custom screening on it for customers... they then played their booteekers game, ain't my problem from there.

Edit:

Taking out Bill of this, simply questionning about how would someone feel by selling effect clones projects, it's like questionning the fundamentals of the instrument effect DIY hobby.

raulduke

Stoking the fires but.... who's flogging the Tenebrion as their own baby then  ;D?

I agree with the comments here: once any information is on the ol t'internet you (unfortunately) have to accept loss of ownership. Not fair but that's the deal IMO.

There are some comments that crop up here that can come across as a bit fishy... like there are 'lurkers' looking to crib stuff.

The recent favourite of mine was someone asking Brian for board/design files for a project he hasn't even released yet.... as their 1st post... nice one  ::)

drolo

Quote from: raulduke on March 09, 2015, 05:03:50 PM
The recent favourite of mine was someone asking Brian for board/design files for a project he hasn't even released yet.... as their 1st post... nice one  ::)
smooth move ...