News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Germanium Zygote....of DOOM!!!

Started by cjkbug, June 10, 2011, 07:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

Here's a zygote build in a red vein powder coated yy enclosure from Pedal Enclosures. The box has what has to be the most lushious, thick, glossy, durable finish I've ever seen. Pictures (especially mine) don't do justice to it.

I've built up quite a stockpile of nos carbon comp resistors that I reserve for projects like this. I used an vishay orange drop and yellow film cap from mojotone for the bi-polar caps. the transistors are unmarked pnp germaiums slightly higher gain than a typical fuzz face spec. this one has all the mods done. The drain control is done with a 9mm pot so it can be easily adjusted without a screwdriver.

If I was to only be able to use 1 pedal for the rest of my life it would be a fuzz face. There is so much good stuff available right at your fingertips. this one is no exception. I generally use this one with the fuzz just a hair under full on. and I dial the volume on my guitar back a hair for a warm od tone. For more sustain I'll increase the volume. and with the volume at about 75% it gets perfectly clean. Nudging the volume up reveals sparkling grit. the tweak and strain really help taylor the fuzz to whatever amp you are using. I like running it into a warm slightly overdriven brit style amp, preferably with singlecoils or split humbuckers.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

night-B

Great build ! These knobs are really cool  :o

slimtriggers

I jumpered the Drain in mine.  Do you use that function much?

I also mixed up Q1 and Q2.  I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to bias right, but it still sounded OK.  Eventually I went back to the layout and realized Q2 is the one on the left...doh!  Sounds even better now :D

Where did you get those knobs?  That's a great idea!

cjkbug

I set the drain to mate the pedal with my guitar and amp, I'll back off on it If I'm using really hot pickups. the knobs are from mammoth with stick on vinyl letters. once they're stuck they're stuck good. you can't remove them without shredding 'em. they look like they're part of the knobs though, don't they. I used them on a few different builds so far.

night-B

Yeah looks like the letters are part of the knobs  :)

nzCdog

Nice job man, I love those enclosures, wheredya geddem?

cjkbug

Quote from: cjkbug on June 10, 2011, 07:13:55 PM
Here's a zygote build in a red vein powder coated yy enclosure from Pedal Enclosures.

bigmufffuzzwizz

You really have an eye for making awesome visual results!
Your description of Fuzz Faces makes me want to go build one now  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on June 12, 2011, 08:37:49 PM
You really have an eye for making awesome visual results!
Your description of Fuzz Faces makes me want to go build one now  :)
Do it now, Thank me later.