News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

XL6009 Step Up Converter Power Supply

Started by Ettore_M, March 05, 2015, 10:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

So... I was wondering. I have this wall-wart 5V power supply that I don't use at all and I lack a pedalboard power supply. And I found these modules. They can step up anything higher than 2.5V with decent output current. And the output is adjustable. So with the same module, you can have any voltage (up to ~32V). And this could also work for a portable pedalboard with a 5V USB power bank (I think RobA posted a similar idea like a year ago). They would be great if the DC ripple is not too high. What do you think? :)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/310717070508?nav=SEARCH
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Ettore_M

*bump*

Noone?  :(
Maybe I'll try to build this thing either way, and see...

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

cooder

I have used a similar module, but the step down version to regulate down from 14 V to 9V and it works great.
No problems with hum so far for me.
Maybe you give it a try and see. They are obviously pretty cheap.
BigNoise Amplification

Ettore_M

Quote from: cooder on March 07, 2015, 08:24:03 PM
I have used a similar module, but the step down version to regulate down from 14 V to 9V and it works great.
No problems with hum so far for me.
Maybe you give it a try and see. They are obviously pretty cheap.
Yes indeed they are! I would give it a try eventually, but I just wanted to see what you guys think about them and if anyone who has used them, had hum problems.  ;)

But that's a good sign! Thanks cooder! :)

Hector
- Culturejam

jubal81

I bought one and on initial test, it was noisy. Haven't gone back and played with it since.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Ettore_M

Τhanks for the reply. Just what I was afraid of. I kinda knew it, but I had hopes. Either way, I think I'll buy one and see what comes out. I'll keep you guys posted.

Hector
- Culturejam

cooder

Maybe it also depends what you feed that power converter... my walwart is already reasonably well filtered DC going into the converter, that might help to keep the ripple down.
BigNoise Amplification

gitaar0

I used a similar one ( i bought it elsewhere) for an Aquaboy deluxe. My roadrage would not keep the voltage close to 15 volt. This worked very well as an alternative. Kept the voltage very steadily.
But when I used it in combination with another unit that also had an internal clock the combination of more clocks caused heterodyning that I could not get rid of. Something to keep in mind. It might work for you and for the low price they are great.