Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jan Ray (aka Timmy) clone

Started by Coda-effects, March 05, 2015, 11:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coda-effects

Hello !

I have just finished this clone.

I made it on a veroboard, using the scheme from Guitar FX Layouts. Not much to tell you about the making, this is quite a straightfoward pedal to make, evenif the board is quite compact in the end ! 1uF Panasonic SMF capacitors are very space-consuming, so maybe it would be better with a slightly bigger board. I started with by drilling the holes and placing the linkers (and checking connections with a multimeter), then the IC socket, resistors, capacitors, pots and jack inputs. I used a PCB for the 3PDT to make it a bit cleaner looking, as there is already a lot of wires going everywhere (4 pots is quite a lot)... With high gauge wire (like 50), I tried to twist the cables to make a structure to maintain the veroboard in the enclosure.

I used a prepainted enclosure from Banzai music (the european version of Mammoth electronics), in vintage orange sparkle. It is a little bit more expensive than raw aluminium boxes, but it is really cleaner looking (my painting skills are not super good when it comes to enclosure spray painting...) I used the same knobs as in the Jan Ray (vintage fender, yeah !), and used a laser engraved logo.

The conception "work" done to create this pedal can be criticized a lot, but I have to recognize that it sounds very very good. Nice saturation that goes from something light like a klon, goes through blues / rock like AC/DC, to finish with a nice overdrive / distorsion. Always very nice sounding, not compressed and mushy, with a possible huuuuuge volume intake. The volume equivalent to the bypass volume is at one quarter of the knob value ! Great for soloing or to play with a volume pedal placed after it. Equalisation is reactive and allows you to add or withdraw bass and treble efficiently. It is a very transparent overdrive which respects the guitar and amplifier that you use.

I am currently looking at the schematics, and I have some trouble in understanding how the bass control works exactly... Can someone enlighten me on this matter ?

Thank you !

jimilee

That looks great. Very clean all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

micromegas

Wow, that banzai enclosure looks awesome and the logo really classy ! I was thinking about ordering some enclosures from them.... once I get paid....

About the bass control, as I understand it is similar to the Timmy. You have a non-inverting stage with diodes in the feedback loop (like in almost every op-amp/diode based od out there) whose freq response is dependant of the designed network. In this case you have a bass roll-off too, so mids and highs are gained up.

You can follow a good explanation of the feedback network design on tube-screamers here:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Cortexturizer

I am always postponing building this one. Maybe I should get down to it.
yours looks amazing!
how would you compare the gain level with let's say a plexidrive from wampler, or the zendrive?
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Coda-effects

QuoteAbout the bass control, as I understand it is similar to the Timmy. You have a non-inverting stage with diodes in the feedback loop (like in almost every op-amp/diode based od out there) whose freq response is dependant of the designed network. In this case you have a bass roll-off too, so mids and highs are gained up.

Oh ok (stupid me !) I got it now, the comparison with the tube screamer was helpful !

Quotehow would you compare the gain level with let's say a plexidrive from wampler, or the zendrive?
Unfortunately, I never tried a plexidrive or zendrive... But from I have heard on youtube, the jan ray is really less saturated..
As soon as I can, I will try to make sample. Next week, my brother is comming with his yamaha THR5, which sould allow good recording.

Thanks for your comments

flanagan0718

This looks super sharp! Just added your blog to my read list.

chordball

Very nice work! I will have to try this one as well. Where/how did you make the logo plate?

billstein

Beautiful pedal. Love those knobs, anybody know who carries those in the states.

bcalla

Nicely done!  Knobs are a great match for the enclosure.

Rockhorst

Banzai must've upped their game on enclosures. They used to have only 'bulk' enclosures, that 'may have imperfections'. In fact, they looked below any par. This looks great though.

mcallisterra

Quote from: billstein on March 05, 2015, 07:00:55 PM
Beautiful pedal. Love those knobs, anybody know who carries those in the states.

Mammoth does, in lots of colors.

pedalhealer

Nice build! Is the logo aluminium or plastic?
www.pedalhealer.com
instagram: pedalhealer_dot_com

Coda-effects

Hello all !
Thanks again for your kind words
The logo is "laser engraved", technically black ink/powder is projected against a stainless steel plate. The steel is then cut in small pieces. I did not have the tools to do it myself, so i went through a french manufacturer (HPM laser) which was kind enough to make me a small quantity for a reasonable price.
Check my blog for a few details
http://codaeffects.blogspot.fr/2015/03/laser-engraved-plates.html

Coda-effects

I have just finished to record some samples... Not the best recording ever (camera mic...), but it can give you an idea of the "gainness" of the unit :

At first it is low gain with controls at noon to show the transparency of the unit. I then increased the gain and bass, and diminished a bit the trebles. When the delay is used in the end (I could not resist the appeal of the 80s sound since I got an old boss DD2), the gain is at the maximum.

I hope it can help you a bit to understand the average gain of this pedal

luks999

very nice and elegant. love the enclosure and the knobs ;-)