News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Should I build one mega multi or...

Started by miha, March 04, 2015, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miha

...two not-so-mega multis?
So I came up with the idea with building a huge multi with 8 or 9 effects in it, to have just one pedal so it's a grab and go thing. The problem is that I have now started wondering if I should split it up into 2 multis and have dirt separated from modulation, mostly to avoid noise problems and to have less troubles powering the whole thing. I'd use the mod part in the fx loop of my amp, so I'd use an extra output and input for that anyway. I'm basically looking for pros and cons of one or the other.
The pedals I'd put in are booster, OD, distortion, compressor, tap delay and phaser, reverb, chorus and an envelope filter.
Cheers

jkokura

My thought on the matter is generally to build individual pedals. I honestly would never want to be locked down to just the effects I'd built into the unit, and would rather try new pedals out every so often. You can do that with a multi, but it means breaking out the soldering iron and potentially going through debugging again. But that's my thoughts.

What happens if you don't end up liking or using one or both multis? They're harder to sell, and definitely become obsolete much easier.

What I've done is use a Pedaltrain Nano and put 4-6 pedals on it. Goes in a nice little gig bag, easy to use and grab wherever I go. You could do a Mini board, and then you'll have it all, and have something you could switch out if you needed to.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

selfdestroyer

Another thing to consider is multi's can be a pain in the butt to get working properly. Due to the wiring and tight spaces. I have always avoided anything more than 2 major effects. sometimes I add buffers and they don't count. haha If you have not done may multi builds then I would suggest to do a few 2 or 3 effects ones before you try to accomplish the super large multi.

If you have built a bunch of multi's you can ignore my advice. lol

Cody

jimilee

Build an effects loop into the multi. I built a 4 multi and wanted to put an effects loop in but was too lazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

Quote from: jkokura on March 05, 2015, 12:32:35 AM
My thought on the matter is generally to build individual pedals. I honestly would never want to be locked down to just the effects I'd built into the unit, and would rather try new pedals out every so often. You can do that with a multi, but it means breaking out the soldering iron and potentially going through debugging again. But that's my thoughts.

What happens if you don't end up liking or using one or both multis? They're harder to sell, and definitely become obsolete much easier.

What I've done is use a Pedaltrain Nano and put 4-6 pedals on it. Goes in a nice little gig bag, easy to use and grab wherever I go. You could do a Mini board, and then you'll have it all, and have something you could switch out if you needed to.

Jacob

I second this approach. I constantly swap things in and off my boards as I discover new pedals, or my needs just simply change. The only real multi I ever build, an OD/Dist/Noise gate combi has long since been dismantled as I've rehoused the boards into separate pedals again.

Multis look cool, damn cool as many a posted example here will testify, but you have to be dead sure in your choice of effects for them to be a lasting success. Once you commit, that's it! Going back, or changing things will be difficult. Pete Cornish, pedal board builder to the stars, has basically made a career building multis for his customers, but even they don't tend to last longer then a single tour. Or two. Of course his customers can afford that.

I'll make an exception for multis that set out to achieve a specific sound. juansolo seems to be doing that a lot. Like creating a David Gilmour sound, or just for plain sonic whackiness. But for everyday playing? Only if you are absolutely 100% dead sure.

Quote from: jimilee on March 05, 2015, 02:23:22 AM
Build an effects loop into the multi. I built a 4 multi and wanted to put an effects loop in but was too lazy

Laziness in the planning and build stage always makes for endless amounts of regret later on.  :(

miha

Thanks for your thoughts!
I agree with Muadzin and jkokura that they are harder to sell and thatthere are many things to consider when doing this, but I kinda want to try something big, as a challenge. I  also plan on building as much as I can with connectors so it's an easy swap thing if I wish to change something
So far I've built about 10 single pedals and 2 2 in one multis so I kind of know it can be a mess. Also, I will rock all of them before I box 'em to avoid any additional problems.
I also think that the fx loop is a great idea, but what I really want to know is if using 1 box what problems could I encounter, things such as noise etc.

jimilee

Quote from: Muadzin on March 05, 2015, 12:37:20 PM
Quote from: jkokura on March 05, 2015, 12:32:35 AM

Jacob

Quote from: jimilee on March 05, 2015, 02:23:22 AM

Laziness in the planning and build stage always makes for endless amounts of regret later on.  :(
While I'll agree with you, it wasn't laziness in planning, it's just that I didn't want to add to the work I already had ahead of me. That being said, my multi is a very basic overdrive chorus phaser delay, good for a grab and go only. I still have a regular pedal board that I swap out regularly. Also you guys are talking like if you put a multi together, you are stuck forever....or you can just build another one or just more pedals. :-p there are pros and cons, but we do this because it's there right? See, now I'm playing devils advocate....I say build it because you can, not because you need to.....

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

Quote...two not-so-mega multis?
I'd probably do this (and pretty much have) ... dirt in one, all the other stuff in another.  Lets you put extra stuff after the dirt if you want, bit hard to put anything between the effects in the multi without the insert or loop points though.

I build for myself, so it's usually just effects I want and have chosen (as a general rule).

I dunno though.  Sometimes I figure being able to swap out individual pedals is a the way to go, but they're messier and less compact on the board, lol, and I don't really use a lot of effects anyway so it's just the essentials in the first place.

I think the answer is to do a huge multi, and then build individual pedals... Best of both worlds.

thesameage

I think you answered your own question. Build separate multis and then later you can just switch out the multis.

what modulation multi would you build? And would you make the effects parallel?

Quote from: Willybomb on March 05, 2015, 02:03:08 PM
Quote...two not-so-mega multis?
I'd probably do this (and pretty much have) ... dirt in one, all the other stuff in another.  Lets you put extra stuff after the dirt if you want, bit hard to put anything between the effects in the multi without the insert or loop points though.

I build for myself, so it's usually just effects I want and have chosen (as a general rule).

I dunno though.  Sometimes I figure being able to swap out individual pedals is a the way to go, but they're messier and less compact on the board, lol, and I don't really use a lot of effects anyway so it's just the essentials in the first place.

I think the answer is to do a huge multi, and then build individual pedals... Best of both worlds.

jkokura

I will also qualify my earlier statement that a 2 in 1 pedal can be very useful and is often much easier to sell later on. Classic combos like Delay and Reverb, Comp and Drive, two different drives, or even a pair of modulation effects, can be super useful. I'd rather build two or three effect multis and then put 3 of them on a PT-Mini than build one big pedal. Then it's easy to add another pedal in between the other multis, or replace one, or whatever.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: miha on March 05, 2015, 12:44:22 PM
...but I kinda want to try something big, as a challenge.

If you really want a "challenge" then why don't you build something that is outside of your comfort zone? Try something BBD based. Try something more complex. Try etching your own board (if you do not already do it). Try breadboarding and create your very own design.

Of course, if your main concern is resale, then I concur with the other opinions here. If you are really wanting a challenge... then make it a true challenge  8)

GermanCdn

I was going to comment on this yesterday, but never got around to it, so here we go.

2 in 1s are great and highly recommended.  You can do them easily in a BB enclosure (be it 125 or 1590), and it's still easy to stomp.  There's a pile of good 2 in 1 combos you can make that you'd be happy with.

3 in 1s are pushing the limits of BB enclosures, both with the number of pots/knobs involved, and the ability to actually stomp three separate switches.  Might have to upsize the enclosure.

4+ effects in one enclosure is getting to big enclosures in order to be able to stomp properly, fit knobs, find circuits you like together, etc, etc, etc.  By the time you get it built, it's easily the same cost as building two 2 in 1s or three single effect units, without the flexibility.

Combos that work really well together in a BB arrangement

Klone/Bluesbreaker
Afterlife/Fatpants
Tenebrion/Multiplex Junior
Clean Drive/Wasabi boost
Double Flush/Zero Point DD
Timmy/Zen
Afterlife/Bloviator
Bearhug/Little Red Booster
Engineers Thumb/Steaming Kettle
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

I'm in the process of planning an 11-in-1 and it's requiring a whole different plan of action.  I would rather build 11 individual pedals, but this is somebody else's dream board, not mine.  I can already tell it's going to take me a lot longer and cost more in materials.

You'll have a lot more flexibility with individual builds, or smaller multis (2 or 3 pedals per box).

I did do a 3-in-1 a while back that is very useful and great grab and go pedal. 

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

I agree with what other people have said. Multi's that serve a purpose, as in contain effects that combine together to create a goal are good. Board in a box style multi's I try and avoid to be honest, for a lot of the reasons others have mentioned. Also I find them really unsatisfying for some reason.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mcallisterra

Just thinking about how often my pedal board gets swapped and changed is enough for me to never build more than say a two-in-one. Just when I think it's perfect, I change it again. Couldn't imagine being locked into 10 in one box etc.