News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Envelope control of delay time, has anyone tried it?

Started by Luke51411, March 03, 2015, 04:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I'm sure you would mostly get wacky sounds but I'm surprised I haven't seen this anywhere other than on the Clari(Not) though maybe that just does it so well everyone just builds it? I'm planning on doing some breadboard experimentation but I was just curious if there are any other projects/knowledge out there? Maybe a few reasons why not to do it so I can just go against them anyway and find out for myself hehe  8)
Or, applying an envelope filter to repeats only might be cool? I don't know, I'm going to go to the lab and see what I can cook up.

culturejam

The Wampler Faux Tape Echo uses an envelope detector to modulate the delay time. It's not a radical effect, but it does give the impression of a tape-like warble.

Other than the Clarinot or the Wampler, I don't recall seeing any circuits that use envelope for delay time control.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Luke51411

Quote from: culturejam on March 03, 2015, 06:13:47 PM
The Wampler Faux Tape Echo uses an envelope detector to modulate the delay time. It's not a radical effect, but it does give the impression of a tape-like warble.

Other than the Clarinot or the Wampler, I don't recall seeing any circuits that use envelope for delay time control.
Yeah I'm surprised with all the projects and experimentation forum members do with this type of stuff that there is not more out there. I guess if I'm successful I'll have to make a project out of it.

mcallisterra

Quote from: culturejam on March 03, 2015, 06:13:47 PM

The Clarinot only has the pitch of the repeats affected by the envelope. It's a massive and glitchy amount, but the delay time is still set by a pot alone.

Luke51411

I would think the delay time would have to be affected to change pitch wouldn't it? I think the actual delay time would sound the same because you would essentially be hearing the average of the modulated time?

mcallisterra

This stuff makes my brain hurt. All I know is that you can get the repeats to be very normal and in tunr with light playing, then very crazy if you dig in, but they don't seem to speed up or slow down - they are just more or less affected when that repeat comes around (at the same interval).

Luke51411

Haha it's cool. Thanks for the description. I'm going to hopefully come up with something similar. If nothing else, I'll learn something in the process. I'd like to modularize it like has been done with some LFOs so I can stick it on any delay and see how it interacts

midwayfair

Quote from: mcallisterra on March 03, 2015, 06:47:06 PM
The Clarinot only has the pitch of the repeats affected by the envelope. It's a massive and glitchy amount, but the delay time is still set by a pot alone.

This is untrue. The delay time of the Clari(not) is shortened when the LED turns on and drops the resistance of the LDR, which is across the delay pot.

What you're describing would be a pitch shifting effect applied to the repeats only, which the Clari(not) does not have.

Luke, I've tried it, but I didn't like it, because affecting the delay time is really only useful for weird effects like the Clarinot or for short washy delay times. Anything that relies on it for rhymic stuff and changing the delay time gets really annoying.

I do, however, like effects applied only to the repeats ... Timbo's done that on a few pedals. I've thought about putting a Blue Warbler on the repeats of an delay pedal, but it seems like a lot of extra work to get a pitch shifting effect with no delay change.

mcallisterra

Quote from: midwayfair on March 03, 2015, 08:13:28 PM
Quote from: mcallisterra on March 03, 2015, 06:47:06 PM

This is untrue. The delay time of the Clari(not) is shortened when the LED turns on and drops the resistance of the LDR, which is across the delay pot.

What you're describing would be a pitch shifting effect applied to the repeats only, which the Clari(not) does not have.

Luke, I've tried it, but I didn't like it, because affecting the delay time is really only useful for weird effects like the Clarinot or for short washy delay times. Anything that relies on it for rhymic stuff and changing the delay time gets really annoying.

I do, however, like effects applied only to the repeats ... Timbo's done that on a few pedals. I've thought about putting a Blue Warbler on the repeats of an delay pedal, but it seems like a lot of extra work to get a pitch shifting effect with no delay change.
Listen to Jon. He knows what he's talking about and I don't! ;D

mcallisterra

It seems like the actual single repeat you get is constant though, regardless of how much it is pitch bent, which is what I was trying to explain.

Luke51411

If you use envelope controlled lfo could you get the attack to trigger just one cycle of an lfo but not the actual rate of the lfo. Like if you set a speed for the LFO and then with the attack the envelope triggers one detune/retune cycle? I don't know, I'm just spitballing at this point.