News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lavache Capacitor question

Started by hullettamps, June 09, 2011, 02:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hullettamps

I am starting to get my parts list together.  which caps should I purchase for this project?  Btw.  all these boards I got look AMAZING.... I applaud you Master Bean  :)

jkokura

Which caps do you mean? The documentation has recommended parts in it - have your checked that out yet?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

hullettamps

I was more thinking about brands and so on.  I know in the amplifier world that people love orange drops.  but I never really see anyone in the pedal world talking about which brands they like best. 

irmcdermott

Quote from: hullettamps on June 10, 2011, 11:25:05 AM
I was more thinking about brands and so on.  I know in the amplifier world that people love orange drops.  but I never really see anyone in the pedal world talking about which brands they like best. 

I think that's because for the most part, brands don't matter too much. They all use the same material for components. What I've found is, a resistor is a resistor, a capacitor is a capacitor, etc. Now, some brands have little differences in packaging, but I think brands is just a personal preference. Example, I like to use box caps in my builds, so brands there are AVX (if you can find them), WIMA, Topmay, etc.

Someone yell at me if I'm wrong. :)

Ian

bigmufffuzzwizz

Ian you are very correct! But might I add, it's not the brands we pay attention to as more so the tolerance of the component. A smaller tolerance percentage means the value will be within that percentage + or - the value. So a 100 ohm resistor with a 1% tolerance SHOULD be between 99-101 ohms. Key word is should be and that why most people end up using certain brands. They don't have to worry about the value being way off and thus more consistent results.
I say try them all and see what works best for you!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals