The Ross would be a great project!

micromegas

Quote from: Stomptown on February 27, 2015, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: jimilee on February 27, 2015, 10:20:17 PM

Quote from: thesameage on February 27, 2015, 08:27:02 PM
Someone needs to fab a Ross board!
this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wanting to a PCB for the Ross for a while now.  I'm just starting to get back into designing after concentrating mostly on building so I will definitely add this to the list.

I can't compete with your layouts Jon, and if you do one, I'll bought it (I have all you phaser pcbs...and love them). But I would like to try to design it too, I'm bored of doing layouts for overdrives.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Stomptown

Quote from: micromegas on February 27, 2015, 10:42:13 PM
Quote from: Stomptown on February 27, 2015, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: jimilee on February 27, 2015, 10:20:17 PM

Quote from: thesameage on February 27, 2015, 08:27:02 PM
Someone needs to fab a Ross board!
this

I've been wanting to a PCB for the Ross for a while now.  I'm just starting to get back into designing after concentrating mostly on building so I will definitely add this to the list.

I can't compete with your layouts Jon, and if you do one, I'll bought it (I have all you phaser pcbs...and love them). But I would like to try to design it too, I'm bored of doing layouts for overdrives.

Nah,  I skimmed the post and didn't realize you were putting together a layout!  There's plenty of other projects out there.  If you do one I will definitely buy one!

micromegas

I'm going to do one just for the fun of it, but I think we all agree it would be awesome to see a pcb for the Ross from you Jon.

pryde

Quote from: micromegas on February 27, 2015, 10:58:57 PM
I'm going to do one just for the fun of it, but I think we all agree it would be awesome to see a pcb for the Ross from you Jon.

That would be cool. If you can't get to it someone nudge Ben (rollywow) to Diptrace one  :)
I would try but Ben had to hold my hand just to make a EA trem  ::)

jimilee

You know how you can add extra stages to the Ross? That would be cool on a fabricated PCB.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Quote from: jimilee on February 28, 2015, 01:07:15 AM

You know how you can add extra stages to the Ross? That would be cool on a fabricated PCB.

That would be so cool indeed I would be in for sure!
Please make it fit a 125B with topmounted jacks... ;) (steep ask I know...)
BigNoise Amplification

luks999

Quote from: Luke51411 on February 27, 2015, 01:02:20 PM
The Stage Fright is pretty cool! I've only built that and a few P90s... Time for Moar phasers!

haha for sure more :-D  should read more carefully

yeah thanks your description helps. the stage fright seems like the phaser im looking for. glad i already have the pcb.
but the stage fright only has 2 knobs? are there mods for a third one?

i also see some prk barrels with 3rd control

luks999

and yeah that ross phaser sounds cool. similar to the ota...

how about the phaser from grindcustoms?

micromegas

Quote from: luks999 on February 28, 2015, 12:01:52 PM

but the stage fright only has 2 knobs? are there mods for a third one?

i also see some prk barrels with 3rd control
For a 3rd Knob,  you could use midwayfair's mod, it sounds pretty useful:

There's a description in the video and also in the build report:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=15144.msg142347#msg142347

micromegas

Quote from: luks999 on February 28, 2015, 12:03:03 PM
and yeah that ross phaser sounds cool. similar to the ota...

how about the phaser from grindcustoms?
it sounds awesome too! It is optical and it is more in the vibe of the Mutron II, but sounds really really nice.

Here's a clip from Philo http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17064.msg162220#msg162220

luks999

Thanks a lot for the info :)
i think im building the stock stage fright, but only using one LED (rate + status led in one)

Cortexturizer

...or my face when I turned on my just assembled Stage Fright last night.

I was shocked at how much I liked it.  I immediately included it into my favorite multi that's my go-to piece of gear when I want just one pedal between the guitar and the amp.

I put a 220uF electro in parallel to C18 I think and that made the slowest speed slow enough for my liking and the fastest speed just perfect, I wouldn't want it even a tad faster than that.
The stage fright will distort on higher Balls settings but that's inherent to the design I guess.
I found the trimpot to be pretty tricky to get the sweep to be as symmetrical as possible (the Balls level will affect this so it's a bit of a vicious circle to get this to your liking and to work well with different Balls settings) and in the end ended up with somewhat more of an asymmetrical sound that I liked best. I might do some more tinkering with this.

I stayed away from this phaser because I was under the impression (from YT videos and from my playing of some junk old phasers that were probably even malfunctioning) that I do not like anything that's above 4 stages. But man this thing you can dial to sound as if it was 2 stages, 3, 5, 6, you name it! Sooooooooo much depth.

I know I am so behind all of the others and late to the party but my enthusiasm for this phaser is bonkers right now. Will be ordering another board soon, to give it justice and put it in a dedicated box, it deserves it.

Thank you Brian for a wonderful project! I will go as far as saying that along with the Small Stone, this one could become my favorite very fast.

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: Cortexturizer on March 19, 2015, 09:53:17 AM

...or my face when I turned on my just assembled Stage Fright last night.

I was shocked at how much I liked it.  I immediately included it into my favorite multi that's my go-to piece of gear when I want just one pedal between the guitar and the amp.

I put a 220uF electro in parallel to C18 I think and that made the slowest speed slow enough for my liking and the fastest speed just perfect, I wouldn't want it even a tad faster than that.
The stage fright will distort on higher Balls settings but that's inherent to the design I guess.
I found the trimpot to be pretty tricky to get the sweep to be as symmetrical as possible (the Balls level will affect this so it's a bit of a vicious circle to get this to your liking and to work well with different Balls settings) and in the end ended up with somewhat more of an asymmetrical sound that I liked best. I might do some more tinkering with this.

I stayed away from this phaser because I was under the impression (from YT videos and from my playing of some junk old phasers that were probably even malfunctioning) that I do not like anything that's above 4 stages. But man this thing you can dial to sound as if it was 2 stages, 3, 5, 6, you name it! Sooooooooo much depth.

I know I am so behind all of the others and late to the party but my enthusiasm for this phaser is bonkers right now. Will be ordering another board soon, to give it justice and put it in a dedicated box, it deserves it.

Thank you Brian for a wonderful project! I will go as far as saying that along with the Small Stone, this one could become my favorite very fast.
I have mine populated since may 2014 ( :o ) but not boxed. I may try Jon's mods for the Nadion (see video above) it seems to add even more flexibility!

Cortexturizer

NO! Who needs flexibility in a phaser?! It's a phaser god damnit, you need two knobs MAX :D
I have the Pigtronix EP-2 which is very flexible and I am more tinkering with the controls than I am playing through it. This is the sole reason why I haven't built the Doppelganger so far. I think it's a fantastic phaser as everything from Lovetone is, but it just has too much going on for me personally.
The Stage Fright offers ridiculous flexibility with only two knobs, it's a winner. And no, just to mention that as well, I haven't done the univibe cap mods. Just not looking for that in this build at all.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams