News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any good Audiobooks?

Started by drolo, February 25, 2015, 02:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

In Brussels ...
When all is well, it takes me an hour to get there, but all is not always well ...

culturejam

I always resisted audio books because I'm and English major, and audio books are basically admitting you have given up. ;D But, I have a decent commute every day (driving), and with a baby in the house now, I don't have a lot of time or energy to read. So, audiobooks in the car it is.

I've listened to quite a few over the last year, but here are a few I enjoyed (all are from Audible.com):

Fiction:
Wool - Hugh Howey
Shift - Hugh Howey (the followup to wool)
Dust - Hugh Howey (the final of three)
Book of the Dead - Greig Beck (this one was just okay, but it was Lovecraft-inspired, so that was cool)

Historical:
Trotsky: Downfall of a Revolutionary
Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001
A Brief History of the Samurai
Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris
HITLER: 1936-1945 Nemesis
The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England

Other:
The Evolution of God
Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data
The Millionaire Next Door
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Haberdasher

audiobooks definitely have their place.  i listen to them while i drill millions of holes and doing other tedious busy work.  they keep me from going crazy. ;D
i still mostly listen to music in the car, though.
anyway, i have loads and loads of audiobooks on my drive.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

I love listening while riding my bike. My favorites are Clive cussler's Fargo series, Lewis blacks books Stephen colbert I even started the great gatsby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on February 26, 2015, 08:39:36 AM
Quote from: alanp on February 26, 2015, 05:22:24 AM
Never heard an audiobook (the drive to work is eight minutes, TOPS), but Terry Pratchett is one of my all time favourite authors (along with Anne McCaffrey.)

Good Omens was actually a radio play, like Hitchhikers Guide. Slightly different.

Good Omens is fantastic.  I've read it 3-4 times.  I've been on a bit of Gaiman tear lately; I really enjoy his writing style.

I've read a couple of Pratchett books from the Discworld series.  Pratchett is good, but I prefer Gaiman's writing style.  I also went back and read the Foundations Trilogy by Asimov, which I quite enjoyed.  I don't normally read this much science fiction, but it's been good.

Next for me is probably Perfidia by Ellroy.  I've read a lot of his other works, so I'll probably like it.  It takes a bit to get into his prose, at least for me.  Last time I read him, I think I read 7 books in a row of his and I got so used to his clipped style that it was odd going back to a "normal" style of writing afterwards.

In a non-fiction vein, I highly recommend "Surely You Must Be Joking, Mr. Feynmann."  I think everybody should read this at sometime in their life.  He's a physicist, but this book is anecdotes, not heavy science.  It's wonderful.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

neve1272

i read the book but wil weaton did the audio for (Ready player one)......is really highly praised among gamers and fans  of pop culture/and mmorpg
Kip

drolo

I just finished Ender's Game and enjoyed it a lot. Great story and great audiobook production.

Hmmm what will be next ....

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on February 27, 2015, 05:26:57 PM

Good Omens is fantastic.  I've read it 3-4 times.

Likewise. One of my favourite books (along with Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King).

Just listened to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency radio play and enjoyed it more than I did the book. Got the 2nd one of them to go at too.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Haberdasher

i'm currently listening to mistborn (sanderson).  i'm on the second book right now, & it's not too bad.

I can tell you one thing, don't listen to the divergent series (roth).  a relative recommended them to me, but i just couldn't make myself go on to the second one.  it seemed more like a story for teenage girls...just, ugh.  lol
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

The Brandon Sanderson stuff is quite good in comparison to a lot out there. I really liked the "Way of Kings" and "Words of Radience", the Mistborn stuff was pretty interesting, and his current approach to Superheroes in "Steelheart" was pretty unorthodox and quite exciting.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on March 10, 2015, 05:07:22 PM

Likewise. One of my favourite books (along with Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King).

Just listened to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency radio play and enjoyed it more than I did the book. Got the 2nd one of them to go at too.

I've read the first few books of Pratchett's Discworld series but haven't read Reaper Man yet, I'll check it out.

I liked the first few books in the Dark Tower series.  It fell pretty far after that.  I finished the series but I wasn't happy about it.  It was similar, but not quite as bad as watching Season 2 of Twin Peaks.  Every few years I re watch the series and promise myself I'll stop after Season 1.  Of course I don't stop And I am irritated all over again at how bad season 2 is.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

The Dark Tower goes all Mills & Boon in the middle of book 4 I think. It's when Roland is reminiscing about his past love. That was bollocks and it went on and on. Picked back up after that. I'm also happy to report that it has a satisfying ending, which surprised me. I really expected him to cock that up.

Pratchett, I've read them all ;)  They are hit and missy. The best are the Death series, the Witches series and the Night Watch/Commander Vimes books. All superb characters. The kids books with the Nac Mac Feegles are good too (Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, etc).

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on March 10, 2015, 06:16:41 PM

Quote from: juansolo on March 10, 2015, 05:07:22 PM

I've read the first few books of Pratchett's Discworld series but haven't read Reaper Man yet, I'll check it out.

I liked the first few books in the Dark Tower series.  It fell pretty far after that.  I finished the series but I wasn't happy about it.  It was similar, but not quite as bad as watching Season 2 of Twin Peaks.  Every few years I re watch the series and promise myself I'll stop after Season 1.  Of course I don't stop And I am irritated all over again at how bad season 2 is.

Terry Pratchett died today. RIP.

Is sad to lose great science-fiction writers. I feel like people don't appreciate good sci-fi that much now. Is this genre (I call it that to simplify) in decadence?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

juansolo

:(

Indeed, deeply sad, RIP.

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on March 12, 2015, 05:05:44 PM
:(

Indeed, deeply sad, RIP.

+1.  RIP