News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smoothie Pedal

Started by Frescalade, February 23, 2015, 10:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frescalade

Thanks for the support. I probably should have bought a couple different colors of wire to help with that. The noise has been eliminated after switching tip and ground on the output. However, I still do not get a signal out of the amplifier in either channel and my LED does not light up.

Frescalade

Quote from: billstein on February 25, 2015, 02:24:21 AM

Unless you're using different transistors aren't those in backwards?

I used the alternative transistors as they were the only ones available on mouser.

Frescalade

Quote from: billstein on February 25, 2015, 02:24:21 AM

Also, since that stomp switch looks pretty thrashed, take a DMM and check for continuity between the lugs. Is there continuity between the middle rows and the outside lugs on one side and not on the other. Then hit it again and does that reverse.

I was able to verify continuity in all lugs EXCEPT the upper left and middle lug I had no continuity in either position. Is this bad? I did listen on my amp and when I switched to one of the switch positions I WAS able to hear some warbling in the slight white noise coming through, but for some reason my guitar is not incorporated in the signal.

AntKnee

Sounds to me like the effect is working, but your switch is toasted. Do you have a test rig yet? If you bypass the switch altogether you can easily tell if the switch is the problem.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jimilee

The pinouts are different on the alternate JFets. Forgive me if that has been mentioned already.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Frescalade

Is there a way I could test it with just a couple alligator clips? Otherwise I'll go out and get a breadboard. I didn't understand how to test it before, but after reading how to do it, I think the switch is okay because there is continuity between each of the three center poles and each side of the top or bottom.

In the instructions it says if I use the 2N5952 transistor that I would have to put them in backwards which I did.

pryde

Quote from: Frescalade on February 25, 2015, 10:32:48 PM
Is there a way I could test it with just a couple alligator clips? Otherwise I'll go out and get a breadboard. I didn't understand how to test it before, but after reading how to do it, I think the switch is okay because there is continuity between each of the three center poles and each side of the top or bottom.

In the instructions it says if I use the 2N5952 transistor that I would have to put them in backwards which I did.

The quick and dirty way is to just flip them around (assuming you socketed the transistors).

The "correct" way is to get the data sheet for your exact transistors and know the pinout so you are SURE you have them oriented the right way.

It would also be helpful to get very clear and direct shots of the pcb front and back, as well as the newly wired 3PDT switch so we can have a good look.

Hang in there

Frescalade

I hesitate to switch the transistors as I am hearing that swirling warbling noise with the white noise signal coming through the amplifier. I am just thinking it is the circuit of the input jack not getting to the effect.

pryde

Maybe a to do list:

1. Carefully re-check EVERY wire connection to the diagram. I am sure you have done this but do it again to be 150% sure wiring is correct from pcb, jacks, 9v plug, and 3pdt. 
2. Transistors: you still should (or must) verify the pinout and correct orientation.
3. After above, post DC voltages of all IC and transistor pins using multimeter to ground.

As said it looks like the switch took a thrashing from all the desoldering so it could be an issue but if you are sure you verified it working then focus on above steps.

Frescalade

I couldn't find a transistor wiring diagram, but here are the IC and transistor voltages.

IC1
1. 3.5v     2. 9.19v
3. 3.5v     4. 3.5v
5. 3.5v     6. 2.37v
7. 3.5v     8. 0v

IC2
1. 3.5v     2. 9.26v
3. 3.5v     4. varied from ~1.38v-8.5v
4. 3.5v     6. varied from ~3.8v-5.8v
7. 0v        8. varied from ~3.2v-5.6v

Q1
1. ~1v
2. 0v
3. 3.5v

Q2
1. ~1v
2. 0v
3. 3.5v

Frescalade

I found these pictures, which from the looks of it I am guessing requires me to change the way my transistors are pinned. Which also means the documentation was not in the least bit helpful if I am to take it literally that the transistor could be turned around 180 degrees in order to function.

pryde

Measure and re-list your IC voltages according to the diagram. The pin numbers are in a "U" shape starting top left as pin 1.

Re-list your transistor voltages using "gate" "source" and "drain" per the diagram you posted above.

BTW: If you did in fact use 2n5952 transistors, they should be in correct (flipped 180') BUT you should always use sockets for your transistors and ICs because:

a. they are really vulnerable to heat
b. they are a pain in the ass to remove if needed
c. sockets ensure quick swapping to experiment with different IC/transistor options

jimilee

Quote from: Frescalade on February 26, 2015, 06:09:18 AM
I found these pictures, which from the looks of it I am guessing requires me to change the way my transistors are pinned. Which also means the documentation was not in the least bit helpful if I am to take it literally that the transistor could be turned around 180 degrees in order to function.
Right, we covered that early on, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Frescalade

IC 1                                     IC2                                  Q1                  Q2               
1. 3.51v     8. 9.26v           1. 3.5v     8. 9.26v           G 3.5v           G 3.5v
2. 3.51v     7. 3.51v           2. 3.5v     7. 1.37-8.6v    S  3.5v           S 3.5v
3. 2.31v     6. 3.51v           3. 3.5v     6. 3.8-5.8v       D .8-1v          D .8-1v
4. 0v           5. 3.5v             4. 0v        5. 3.3-5.7v

pryde

Quote from: Frescalade on February 26, 2015, 04:38:35 PM
IC 1                                     IC2                                  Q1                  Q2               
1. 3.51v     8. 9.26v           1. 3.5v     8. 9.26v           G 3.5v           G 3.5v
2. 3.51v     7. 3.51v           2. 3.5v     7. 1.37-8.6v    S  3.5v           S 3.5v
3. 2.31v     6. 3.51v           3. 3.5v     6. 3.8-5.8v       D .8-1v          D .8-1v
4. 0v           5. 3.5v             4. 0v        5. 3.3-5.7v

THe LFO is working as you are getting oscillation. The gates of your transistors should be getting a tiny voltage swing not the drains (make sure you have the GSD correct when measuring.

What happens when you turn the trimmer? The phasing ONLY occurs in a very small window when turning the trim pot so do it slowly.

I am not sure what your latest "symptoms" are with the pedal so please let us know.