News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smoothie Pedal

Started by Frescalade, February 23, 2015, 10:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frescalade

I just finished putting together my Smoothie pedal, however I'm getting nothing but noise on both settings of the 3DPT switch. On one switch there is some noise and the other slightly less noise. I believe I have everything wired as per the diagram, but I guessed on the jacks because it seemed obvious what would have to be tip and sleeve. I must be doing something wrong with the switch to be getting noise on both ON and OFF positions, but it all looks correct to me. Do the attached images show any egregious errors on my part? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

pryde

For starters your 3PDT switch is wired wrong if you followed the madbean diagram. The lugs need to be oriented horizontal when wiring everything up.

Frescalade

Quote from: pryde on February 23, 2015, 11:08:32 PM
For starters your 3PDT switch is wired wrong if you followed the madbean diagram. The lugs need to be oriented horizontal when wiring everything up.

So pin 1 would be in the upper right hand corner?

jimilee

Just depends on your starting point but rotate the stomp 90 degrees or 1/4 turn and do it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Frescalade

Quote from: jimilee on February 23, 2015, 11:38:37 PM
Just depends on your starting point but rotate the stomp 90 degrees or 1/4 turn and do it that way.

I rotated the switch so that the Pin #1 was located in the upper right hand corner. I still get nothing but noise on either flip of the switch.

jimilee

Gives us another picture please, clear and well lit.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

Yep, as said, the switch is incorrectly oriented. Unsolder everything from it, rotate it 90 degrees and solder it all back on.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Frescalade

The noise seems worse if that makes any sense. I rotated the switch clockwise 90 degree and re-soldered everything after drilling holes with a dremel tool.

jimilee

That's the idea, but the switch is wired wrong. On the projects page of madbean pedals you'll find the standard wiring diagram.

Frescalade

Quote from: jimilee on February 24, 2015, 09:51:58 PM
That's the idea, but the switch is wired wrong. On the projects page of madbean pedals you'll find the standard wiring diagram.

Can you please elaborate? I have had this diagram in front of me the entire time.

Frescalade

I am using page 5 of this diagram as the reference for my pedal http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Smoothie/Smoothie_2015.pdf . Are you saying my switch is still upside down? This is possibly the worst documentation I've ever had working on a project. I've successfully completed two other more expensive electronics projects with no issues. I am really not impressed.

pryde

Quote from: Frescalade on February 24, 2015, 11:07:40 PM
I am using page 5 of this diagram as the reference for my pedal http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Smoothie/Smoothie_2015.pdf . Are you saying my switch is still upside down? This is possibly the worst documentation I've ever had working on a project. I've successfully completed two other more expensive electronics projects with no issues. I am really not impressed.

Wow bro you need a lesson in patience and etiquette. People are trying to help and you criticize.

So as said you do not have the switch wired correctly (per the very clear diagram on page 5 as you referred to). Pay attention to your output jack to start with. Isn't something wrong there?

Also the switch is pretty damn mangled, maybe iron is to hot?

AntKnee

This is the worst possible place to rip on madbean, man. If there is a problem with your build, it is your problem, not the instructions. Many, many of us have built many madbean projects successfully.
Take a break, come back to it tomorrow with a clear head and you will probably find your problem and solution more easily.
Have patience. This is not a quick and easy hobby to jump into.
Anyway...
I wouldnt be surprised if you overheated the footswitch. Its easy to do, especially if you are soldering, unsoldering, resoldering. I have done it a few times myself. Like I said, take a break, then check your wiring again. If you used switched jacks, which it looks like you did, be sure you used the correct solder points in the jacks. Make sure your wires are not frayed and shorting out. One tiny strand can cause problems.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

billstein

Since those are plastic jacks is the box grounded? I've never used plastic jacks before so I'm just guessing at this one.

Also, since that stomp switch looks pretty thrashed, take a DMM and check for continuity between the lugs. Is there continuity between the middle rows and the outside lugs on one side and not on the other. Then hit it again and does that reverse.

Unless you're using different transistors aren't those in backwards?

That output jack like pryde said seems to be wired with the tip to ground.

One more. You are building a pedal many of us have built successfully using the documentation. I just looked at again and it is extremely clear.

pryde

Correct billstein.

I directed his attention to the output jack so he could find his own mistake with the grounded tip. I also suspect when he does get that fixed he may still have a problem with that buggered 3pdt.

To Frescalade: Let us know when you get the output jack fixed. The truth is this forum has the most helpful and giving members you will find on the interwebz. Lets get your pedal going then hang out and feel the love.