News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collection of Capacitors, Pots, Op-Amps, other components...

Started by Marshall Arts, February 23, 2015, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

Hi,

I have build a couple of projects and always ordered the components from the BOM... Often enough, I had to order a second time, because something was missing, broken or did not fit (=wait and shipping costs). So I am planning on upgrading my (very small) collection of components. My question: Which components and which values (and probably how many of them) would you recommend. Any links to links (preferrably in Germany or at least Europe) are welcome. I am thinking of a list like this:

Foil Capacitors: 10x1nF, 10x1,8nF, 5x2,7nF,...
Ceramic Capacitors: ...
Electrolytic Capacitors: ...
Resistors: ...
Pots: ...
Trim Pots: ...
Audio Jacks and Plugs: ...
DC Jacks and Plugs: ...
Switches: ...

jball85

foil caps- 20x- 100nf, 10x- 47nf, 20x- 22nf, 10x-220nf
electros- 100uf, 10uf, 4.7uf, 2.2uf, 1uf, 47uf
diodes- 1n4148/1n914, 1n5817, 1n4001, 1n34a
resistors- tube screamer values, 4.7k, 100k, 10k, 1k, 1m, 220k, 2k
other- 3pdt's, battery jacks, dc jacks, stereo/mono jacks (Neutrik or Switchcraft), LED bezels, LED's, wire

Luke51411

For caps and resistors, I'd stock up on everything in 1 and 47 denominations first then 22 and 33. Pots go a little more by project but I find I use most 100k A and B taper, 50k B, 1M B, 10K B and 1k B roughly in that order. It's good to have 5k and 500k pots as well. I would make a list of the next 3-5 projects you want to build and order all that stuff and extras of recurring items.

Marshall Arts

Great Support! Thanks! Next on The List will be a parapedal wah and an Octavia Clone...

jimilee

What i did was put together a shopping list of about 5 projects and then rounded up, that put me in a good spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

When I first started I did the "Big Bag o' China Resistors" which gave me about every value needed. There are tons on eBay and there is this one from Mklec

http://mklec.com/components/component-assortments/resistor-assortments/750-piece-0.25-watt-metal-film-resistor-assortment

That got resistors covered for me, hell, I even still have some left from over 2 years ago and its nice to have the odd values for builds. You will notice the values you use the most pretty fast and then now I just order them in bags of 200 from Mouser.

Learn how to use Mouse effectively. Its hard since you can not rely on pictures but learn how to read a datasheet and what the common sizes are for parts. Like 5mm lead spacing for film caps ect..

Aion has some great writeups on the subject. Here is a good one for part selection
https://aionelectronics.com/resources/where-to-buy-what/

Just some ideas.

Cody

Justus

Quote from: jimilee on February 23, 2015, 08:13:57 PM
What i did was put together a shopping list of about 5 projects and then rounded up, that put me in a good spot.
Same here, though I think I put together the BOM's of about 10 builds I wanted to tackle, then rounded up.  Even on the lesser used parts values, I won't just order one - if it calls for one, I'll get three.  If it calls for 15, I'll get 20.  You get the point.

That works well for resistors, caps, diodes, some transistors, and sockets.  For IC's, more expensive transistors, and pots, get your total and just add one or two extra.

jball85

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 24, 2015, 02:49:03 AM
When I first started I did the "Big Bag o' China Resistors" which gave me about every value needed. There are tons on eBay and there is this one from Mklec

http://mklec.com/components/component-assortments/resistor-assortments/750-piece-0.25-watt-metal-film-resistor-assortment

That got resistors covered for me, hell, I even still have some left from over 2 years ago and its nice to have the odd values for builds. You will notice the values you use the most pretty fast and then now I just order them in bags of 200 from Mouser.

Learn how to use Mouse effectively. Its hard since you can not rely on pictures but learn how to read a datasheet and what the common sizes are for parts. Like 5mm lead spacing for film caps ect..

Aion has some great writeups on the subject. Here is a good one for part selection

Just some ideas.

Cody

+1 Big bag of Chinese resistors, my bag I bought in 2010 is still going strong. If only this applied to other things.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 24, 2015, 02:49:03 AM

Just some ideas.

Cody

Thanks for the great input so far. I am putting together my list based on all your recommendations. As for some parts (Opamps, Optocouplers, etc.) I will put stuff on the list according to upcoming projects. As I am also planning on breadboarding my own (well, variations of existing...) layouts, so a good assortment of the more "generic" components is required. For Resistors, I already ordered an E12-Series, that should be enough for years to come.

For capacitors, the aion link is VERY helpful, my list will be sourced from Reichelt.de in Germany. I can get most of the stuff there, but I am struggeling finding WIMA MKS caps under 10 N. Can I use FKP caps instead? Or FKS? Do these have the same dimensions like the MKS ones would have?

RobA

With the WIMA caps the FKS and FKP caps are also good for pedals. The FKP are actually very good. They are different sizes. All of the WIMA caps sizes depend on the series (3 versus 2 versus 02 and MKS, FKP, etc.) and voltage ratings of the caps. So, you need to look at the spec sheet to be sure you are getting the right ones (5mm lead spacing and not too huge). You should be able to get the MKS caps down to about 1n I think.

On the sizes, most PCB's are designed to take into account the need for more space with increasing capacitance, but if you start mixing in larger voltage rating at bigger capacitances, it probably won't fit. High voltage rating at lower capacitance for the WIMA caps is usually fine. The FKP 2 caps can get big. I have some 47pF FKP 2 caps that are nearly as big as the MKS 2 1µF 63V caps. Most PCB's won't have room for that 47pF cap.

Another choice in the smaller values is to go with a C0G MLCC cap. If you get the 5mm lead spacing variety they will fit fine. 
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Marshall Arts

Thanks again! Look At this ! I should be Fine for upcoming builds now!

TGP39

Man. It feels like Christmas every time I get a big old box of electronics in the mail.  ;D

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.