News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ECHOwreck (Doombutter)

Started by mcallisterra, February 22, 2015, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

When I stumbled upon Haberdasher's discontinued PCB thread, I recognized almost all of them except the Doombutter. I didn't even know what the MidFi Clari(not) which is it based on was, so I promptly jumped on YouTube to check it out and fell in love with the weirdness. Totally bizarre glitchy delay vibrato fuzz combo that is supposed to simulate a broken/failing tape echo. Here it is!

A few firsts for me in this build:
- First time building a pedal NOT on a labelled PCB, but on Haberdasher's awesome etch. It showed up amazingly clean and perfect!
- First time using an LED/LDR combo
- First time drilling any holes in an enclosure (this was an old BYOC enclosure I had laying around, just needed to add a pot and LED hole)
- First time distressing a pedal.

I didn't intend to distress it originally. I finished it in flat black, and it looked perfect, but as I was trying to add a tiny drop of super glue to hold the LED in place, something went wrong and it went all over the face of the pedal. I didn't want to start over so I just decided to make this one look beat up. But then I thought it kinda fits the name I had decided on *and* the theme of this pedal, and so I'm actually glad it happened now.

Overall I love the sound of this. I did the 'fuzz lift' mod which I 100% recommend. I was expecting a bit of a one-trick-pony and that it would be fun to make stupid broken tape sounds, but I've managed to get some incredibly useful tones out of it, like a Beatles-esque ADT setting, and almost a glitchy chorus sound as well as straight up single-repeat modulated delay.

Thanks again to Keefe for an awesome etch!

wgc

nice-  love the side lettering and the blue wiring! and the knobs...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

juansolo

Nice distressed style, love it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

kinda jack deville vibe to the black, knobs, layout of the controls.

cool

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

mcallisterra

Quote from: LaceSensor on February 23, 2015, 09:29:15 AM
kinda jack deville vibe to the black, knobs, layout of the controls.

cool
I'd never even heard of Jack Deville pedals - just went and looked them up and you're right haha. Pretty similar to the Dark Echo.

Coda-effects

How did you manage to do the "3D effect" on the side letters ? It is really nice / professional looking !

mcallisterra

Quote from: Coda-effects on February 23, 2015, 12:08:27 PM
How did you manage to do the "3D effect" on the side letters ? It is really nice / professional looking !
Thanks! Another kind of happy accident really. My initial plan was to spray the pedal white, add those stick-on letters, spray it all black, and then remove the letters to reveal the white underneath. Once I had sprayed a few coats of the flat black though, the letters looked nice and sealed, and I too liked how it looked, so I just left them on there. I don't think they're going anywhere now since the edges are buried under a good few coats of that black.

Jebus

Quote from: mcallisterra on February 23, 2015, 01:07:53 PM
Thanks! Another kind of happy accident really. My initial plan was to spray the pedal white, add those stick-on letters, spray it all black, and then remove the letters to reveal the white underneath. Once I had sprayed a few coats of the flat black though, the letters looked nice and sealed, and I too liked how it looked, so I just left them on there. I don't think they're going anywhere now since the edges are buried under a good few coats of that black.

That really was a happy accident, because they look amazing! Have to consider something like this to some project too.. :)

micromegas

This looks awesome!

I love the sounds people get out of this pedal, the guys at Midfi really design some crazy useful boxes.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

raulduke

I like the look on this one.

Very cool  8)

selfdestroyer

I am really digging this all around. You did a great job on the distress look and the letters on the side look fantastic. I think I may try this method also.

Cody

mcallisterra

Thanks for the kind words guys!

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jimilee

That is badass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.