News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Store bought Multi-effects

Started by billstein, February 22, 2015, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Quote from: Leevibe on February 23, 2015, 04:12:17 PM
And please no digital dirt. Keep that part analog.

I agree. From what I've heard in some demos yesterday, it seems the multi can do heavy distortion well, but I haven't heard anything that compares with those sweet crunch sounds I get from the boxes I've built. That's why I wouldn't purchase anything that didn't have an effects loop that I could assign to anywhere I want in the chain. Turning that on and off is just a part of the preset.

rumbletone

Quote from: micromegas on February 23, 2015, 08:55:12 AM
If tap dancing is the problem, then I would recommend you to build a good effect switcher/looper.

It is the cheapest alternative and you'll still have access to the sound you get with your pedals.

If you don't want to build it, there are plenty comercial alternatives too (*blasphemy  :P)
Re tap dancing, you can build a BYOC Super8 programmable looper for less than $200. Not as versatile/feature-laden as the musicomlab or RJM units (which do midi, etc.), but great for just switching any combination of the 8 loops with just one stomp.

jkokura

The JMK/TH_Custom Programmable Looper is also an option.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

(putting on my aluminum foil suit and pretending I don't DIY)

I always found the Vox Valvetronix multi unit to be a pretty good sounding little unit, bunch of decent amp and pedal sims, expression pedal, etc.  And it was dirt cheap.  Only thing I didn't like about it was it's convoluted stomping arrangement, which I'm pretty sure you can MIDI around.

(taking off aluminum foil suit)

PREPARE THE STAKE!  HE'S A WITCH!
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

RobA

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 23, 2015, 09:33:06 PM
(putting on my aluminum foil suit and pretending I don't DIY)

I always found the Vox Valvetronix multi unit to be a pretty good sounding little unit, bunch of decent amp and pedal sims, expression pedal, etc.  And it was dirt cheap.  Only thing I didn't like about it was it's convoluted stomping arrangement, which I'm pretty sure you can MIDI around.

(taking off aluminum foil suit)

PREPARE THE STAKE!  HE'S A WITCH!
I agree completely. The best thing about them for me was that they have the least impact on the dynamics of my playing of any of the sims I've played with. The worst thing was the way I'd have to handle the switching on it. I did have one of the smaller units where this issue is worse, but I figured that the only way to handle switching of effects and stuff would be to program in a sequence of presets that would go through an entire performance.

They aren't perfect by any measure, but they are usable and convenient and pretty cheap.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

lars

Multi effects units are something we've probably all tried, and all been disappointed in. One interesting option i remember years ago was the Johnson jm150 millenium combo amp. I recall the effects being pretty spot on and sounding great, so you got a great amp and multi effect unit all in one package. I could have picked up a used one for $299 several years ago, and have kicked myself ever since. They dont go for that low anymore...

Muadzin

Personally the only things that multi-FX have let me down in was that my Pod XT live can only do a limited number of FX in series and my Pod HD 500, which on paper can do up to 8, is prone to running out of DSP crunching power with a lot of the FX I would have liked to use in series. The quality of the modeled FX and amps however, that I had no problems with.