News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need a new solder iron (yet another thread)

Started by PhiloB, February 19, 2015, 08:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I am looking at a weller or Hakko station. In searching Amazon, I am seeing a lot of 2in1 with SMD hot air for not much more money.  I've never used SMD.  I am interested in it.  Is it worth the extra couple of bucks to have both or are the ones in $100-$150 range garbage?

Thanks for you input:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckbuick

I can't speak to the quality of other rework stations.  I have an X-tronic 8080 that has hot air rework capabilities.  Most of the time I just use the iron for my SMD stuff.  I mainly bought it because I needed an iron for home and also wanted a power supply.  The rework part was just a bonus.

If I was buying just a straight up iron I would go with a Weller WES51.  That is what I use at work.  It has been in service for me for 11+ years and generally runs 8-10 hours a day.  I'm not sure how long it was around before I started there.  It's nothing fancy but has adjustable temp and auto-off.  But it is definitely a workhorse.

I've also got this old Weller from the '70's that still works well, too.  I would probably use it but to adjust the temp you have to change tips.  I don't know that the tips would still be available and I'm not crazy about the coil cord, either

I have never used a Hakko but people seem to love them.

dont-tase-me-bro

I have the hakko fx888d-23by.  They're around $85.  Good for my needs
I thought this would save me money.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on February 20, 2015, 01:15:57 AM
I have the hakko fx888d-23by.  They're around $85.  Good for my needs

+1

I can't find a reason to ever use anything else for my needs.
John

pickdropper

Quote from: chuckbuick on February 20, 2015, 01:09:04 AM

I've also got this old Weller from the '70's that still works well, too.  I would probably use it but to adjust the temp you have to change tips.  I don't know that the tips would still be available and I'm not crazy about the coil cord, either

Yeah, but the coiled cord sounds better.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PhiloB

*goes to search the internets for a coiled cable soldering station*
Thanks for the feedback.  I suppose if I ever get into SMD a rework station isn't critical.  I'm leaning towards the Hakko- Amazon has a bundle with some extra tips.

PhiloB

Signed up for 30 days free Amazon Prime so my Hakko Solder station, Kester Solder (1lb), Proraso Sandalwood shave soap and Astra Safety Razors (100ct) will be here Monday:)

RobA

I went through a safety razor period. Then I decided to just go all ZZ Top. Unfortunately, the ZZ Top thing didn't really work out all that well since my beard turns into a giant round puffball at a certain growth stage and never tames down after that. I always have to give up after a bit and go for an electric shearing.

I hope you have a great experience with the Hakko. I love mine. It's still my all time best tool purchase.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).