News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass Cupcake: 1st Build

Started by mbass, February 18, 2015, 07:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbass

First off, this is my very first build.  While the wiring isn't has neat as I would have liked for it to be, the pedal is working and sounds great!  I have officially gotten the pedal building bug!

Front

Guts

jimilee

That looks really great! How do you like it? Welcome to your new addiction. For future builds info, you don't really need a stereo in jack. Whats next??
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mbass

I love it! Really rounds out my sound in all the right places!  ;)

A few of the guys I play with are wanting boost pedals, so I'm looking at a Rullywow uAmp.  However, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

pryde

Congrats on a great first build. No doubt much better looking than my first one.

Future Glimpse: One year from now you will have over a dozen built pedals, at least 10 ready to be boxed up, and about 60 pcbs, a million components, and an unhappy spouse/girlfriend. Welcome aboard  :)

Leevibe

Nice Job! Welcome! Don't apologize for the fantastic wiring. Really!

selfdestroyer

That runs circles around my first build. Way to go.. now plan your second build, you know you want to. lol

Cody

m-Kresol

I agree with the others, this looks very good to me!

I always appreciate some constructive feedback, so here we go: you don't need to ground both jacks. One will do the trick as the second one will be automatically grounded via the metal enclosure. One less wire = +1 neatness
I can't really see were the red and black wires from the +/- pads are going and I'm not sure if the left +/- pair is even connected to something (there's solder on them at least)... You would also only need to hook up one of those pairs to the DC jack. the second one is for convenience in multi-effect builds.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

TGP39

Awesome job! The wiring is really good for a first build (better than mine now....lol). To add onto what Jimi said, the stereo jack you used on your input is usually reserved for those occasions when you want to hook up an internal battery as well.   Great work! Keep them coming.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

morganp

How cool is that feeling when you plug it in and it works?  Great job!
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

mbass

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm always up for better my craft in anything that I do and to find a group as supportive as this one is really neat!

To answer a few questions about the build:

The stereo jack was used because, at the time, it's all I had and I didn't realize I didn't need it with the 3PDT board.  Grounding both jacks was something I did by following the wiring diagram on the 1776 Effects website.

As far as the +/- pads on the left.  Those were originally wired into my DC jack, but because of a huge mess up on my part, then fix, then realizing what I did the first time was correct, I just ran new lines to the right side pads.  These things really DO work better when you have the correct power supply!  :)

Coda-effects

First build with a 3PDT PCB ! You know where you are going !

Simple and clean, great build !

AntKnee

Really is a great first build!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

blearyeyes

Hell of a lot better than my first build! Looks good!

GermanCdn

Yeah, that puts my first (and second thru 12th) builds to shame.

As far as grounding both jacks, it certainly doesn't hurt to do it, and you have to do it when/if you go to plastic jacks, so it's not a bad habit to get into.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jebus

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 20, 2015, 07:03:19 PM
As far as grounding both jacks, it certainly doesn't hurt to do it, and you have to do it when/if you go to plastic jacks, so it's not a bad habit to get into.

I do this just so that I can test the pedal before boxing it. I usually assemble them to piece of cardboard or something.