News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hey Superjudge Fans...

Started by pryde, February 18, 2015, 03:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

So I populated a rullywow Superjudge (Juan and Cleggy design) hearing such great things about this little jem. First impressions to me where honestly just ok. It has the definitive marhall-esque distortion but I felt it was somehow congested/a little dull, at least on my rig. Then...

I put my klone in front of it (buffered) and suddenly this thing turned into the circuit that I knew it was. Holy-hell it rocks wonderfully. This is with the klon off just using the buffer. It removed the blanket entirely and the pedal really came alive. I thought I was crazy and did some A/B and it most definitely is the ticket at least to my ears. Then kick the klone on to boost it and look out  :o

Anyway for those considering the Superjudge try the klon buffer in front of it. Crazy good.
Disclaimer: no disrespect to Juan/Cleggy/rullywow, etc. The circuit is fantastic but really benefited with a buffer in my rig. I would be curious to see if others notice such a difference.

Tremster

My Superjudge PCB is in the mail.
I'll try this and report back.

juansolo

*thumbs up* Whatever works best for peeps. Have to admit, I've never tried it buffered. Will have to give it a go.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mgwhit

Is it possible you used an incorrect (i.e. smaller) value for the pulldown resistor (R1)?  All you should be accomplishing with that Klon buffer is just presenting a high input impedance to your guitar (which you should already have with the 2M2 R1 and the 4558 in the SuperJudge) and a lower output impedance to the effect input (which should be lower than your guitar's output impedance and could be what's responsible for the positive results you're hearing).

Have you tried any other buffer in front of the SuperJudge, like a Boss Tuner?  I'd be interested in seeing if that has similar results for you.  Also, what kind of guitar/pickups are you using?

pryde

Quote from: mgwhit on February 18, 2015, 06:34:47 PM
Is it possible you used an incorrect (i.e. smaller) value for the pulldown resistor (R1)?  All you should be accomplishing with that Klon buffer is just presenting a high input impedance to your guitar (which you should already have with the 2M2 R1 and the 4558 in the SuperJudge) and a lower output impedance to the effect input (which should be lower than your guitar's output impedance and could be what's responsible for the positive results you're hearing).

Have you tried any other buffer in front of the SuperJudge, like a Boss Tuner?  I'd be interested in seeing if that has similar results for you.  Also, what kind of guitar/pickups are you using?

Checked the R1 value and it is indeed 2.2M per the build doc (re-checked all other values as well to be sure). THe pickups are 57 Classics humbuckers in my LP. I have not tried a different buffer so not sure on that.

The klon buffer really makes such a noticeable difference with this circuit. Not really sure why but I am glad I tried it out. To make it a better "stand alone" pedal I may put one infront of the circuit when boxing it up but I am not sure how that would effect having a klon in front of that if I wanted to boost it (i.e. double-buffered into the superjudge)

juansolo

K tried it. I can only assume you have quite a dark setup as it gets a little ice-picky for me with the buffer on the front and I prefer it without. As I say though, that's the beauty of DIY ;)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on February 19, 2015, 04:24:52 PM
K tried it. I can only assume you have quite a dark setup as it gets a little ice-picky for me with the buffer on the front and I prefer it without. As I say though, that's the beauty of DIY ;)

Thats funny, I got the same results last night from mine. I used my SG with burstbuckers and a k-buffer into the superjudge and to my Fender Twin Reverb and I had to adjust my EQ to make it not pierce ears. Now on my princeton reverb I did bring up the highs and clarity a bit since its more of a bass heavy amp. Nothing life changing for me but I have seen stuff like this before, something works great for me but I can not get anyone to replicate it the same way... either way, enjoy the Superjudge as its a great pedal.

Cody

Cody

pryde

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 19, 2015, 05:25:42 PM

Thats funny, I got the same results last night from mine. I used my SG with burstbuckers and a k-buffer into the superjudge and to my Fender Twin Reverb and I had to adjust my EQ to make it not pierce ears. Now on my princeton reverb I did bring up the highs and clarity a bit since its more of a bass heavy amp. Nothing life changing for me but I have seen stuff like this before, something works great for me but I can not get anyone to replicate it the same way... either way, enjoy the Superjudge as its a great pedal.

Cody

Cody

Hmm now I am curious if somehow mine is not correct? My setup really isn't dark, more on the brighter side if anything. Without the klon, the superjudge makes my rig kind of duller sounding. Maybe someone could post some voltages just so I can confirm I didn't jack mine up somehow.

Appreciate the assistance.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pryde on February 19, 2015, 05:37:00 PM

Cody

Cody

Hmm now I am curious if somehow mine is not correct? My setup really isn't dark, more on the brighter side if anything. Without the klon, the superjudge makes my rig kind of duller sounding. Maybe someone could post some voltages just so I can confirm I didn't jack mine up somehow.

I still have mine opened up form last night, when I get home I will try to pull voltages real quick for you.

Cody

pryde

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 19, 2015, 06:33:46 PM

Cody

Cody

I still have mine opened up form last night, when I get home I will try to pull voltages real quick for you.

Cody

Thank you sir. I also am not sure if mine is correct because I have heard the SJ described as "brutal" distortion? Mine is more vintage-cranked Marshall plexi type of sound. Not sure what I should be hearing out of this one.

juansolo

Should be a very tight Marshally sound. First thing to check would be that you're getting -9v from the charge pump.

mgwhit

Maybe someone could post some voltages just so I can confirm I didn't jack mine up somehow.

The 4558 (IC1) should just have 0V on the op amp pins (1-3, 5-7), approximately -9V on pin 4, and approximately 9V on pin 8.

pryde

Yep I think we are good on all IC voltages. I dunno maybe it is just playing a bit funny with my setup. I will try some other clipping LEDs and diodes for fun.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pryde on February 19, 2015, 07:30:33 PM
Yep I think we are good on all IC voltages. I dunno maybe it is just playing a bit funny with my setup. I will try some other clipping LEDs and diodes for fun.

There are also so many variables with hardware. The Hot Cake & Zen Drive come to mind for me, They seems to be amp & guitar dependent for my setup. When I'm playing my SG I have to remember not to use my Zen since it sounds like a turd with it.. but man it sings with my strat.

Cody

Willybomb

Ima just gonna bring this back up to the top.

Just agreeing that my vero rocks with a buffer in front.  It screams with a boost going into it.

I've only used it with buffer OR boost, planning on trying both soon.