News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strymon MultiSwitch anounced

Started by selfdestroyer, February 17, 2015, 08:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Anyone else get this email about this MultiSwitch? Look pretty cool and if I hit a HUGE wall of fail with my MIDI pedal project I may get this to tie me over. Secretly that's not true as I really want to MIDI functions for my other pedals also but this is still a cool deal.
http://www.strymon.net/multiswitch/

Cody

brand0nized

Man if they made the midi plug on the side and color options to match the pedals, that'd be sick

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

irmcdermott

Yeah. I love Strymon, but I'm really underwhelmed with this. They seem to be late to their own party., and not really making an entrance. BUT, I guess for the price, if it does what you want, then it's great.

selfdestroyer

I agree, they should have went the MIDI route for sure. It would have covered more ground and since their 3 flagship pedals support MIDI.. Maybe its on the docket for one in the future.

If you are just a Timeline user and you need all the looper controls at your feet, this may be the cheapest option (not sure of price yet but it really cant be "that much" for just a TRS controller) but I guess we will see.

Cody

playpunk

Won't this just be a firmware update and 3 momentary switches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

LaceSensor

I'll clone it when the, I assume ridiculously simple, schem is revealed lol

chromesphere

Well, their tap temp switch is $50 bucks so...3 switches...$150?

Funny thing about that tap switch actually.  They had a public youtube playlist for bluesky videos a while ago, people submit their videos to the playlist.  I emailed them and said I had made a video on how to build a tap tempo switch that works with the bluesky...little brazen of me I guess.  The guy said (cant remember his name, wasn't Pete).  "That's great for sure we'll add it!".  He didn't add it.  Which is understandable I guess.  Coincidentally, when you google search "Strymon Tap Tempo", my video comes up toward the top of the list. Lets here it for making enemies unintentionally...

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

micromegas

Eventide Timefactor's switch is something like this (Diodes = 1n4001/1n4007/1n4148/etc):

Without power supply, I can imagine Strymon's to be very, very similar (a friend of mine has a Timefactor, maybe he is willing to try :) )

EDIT: Here's Paul Marossy's schematic (I love that guy, just a pity I knew about him late):
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

LaceSensor

Strymons uses resistors apparently, it's mentioned over at tgp

selfdestroyer

Quote from: LaceSensor on February 19, 2015, 11:42:16 PM

Thats what I was thinking also, been awhile since I built a Fav switch. Isnt it just looking for a voltage range from a 5V (or what ever it is) source to determine what switch was pressed?

Cody

micromegas

Quote from: LaceSensor on February 19, 2015, 11:42:16 PM

This is what Gregg Stock(I assume, as he is the "analog guy" at strymon) has to say about this:

"
The expression pedal input is connected to an A/D converter (the same one that reads the pot values). The jack is TRS with the signal on the tip, the ring is connected to 5V through a 1k resistor and the sleeve is the return (ground).

When a pot (expression pedal) is hooked up, the A/D converter will see the full range of analog values from 0-5V. With a switch, it will only see the extreme values (0 or 5). This allows us to provide a remote tap or expression pedal input.

Enter the MultiSwitch. In order to decode three different switches, we updated the software to read three different analog values in MultiSwitch mode.

Anyone wanting to make a DIY MultiSwitch needs to tie the Tip and Ring together and connect the following resistors in series with normally open switches.

"
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io