News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

distortion in a guitar!

Started by aran.e666, February 14, 2015, 06:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aran.e666

So I just finished my 'guitar o distortion' and I was wondering, since I have 2 switches (noe for bypass, one for 9v on/off) and it is annoying to hit both to turn the effect on. Any way to make this one switch. I thought a 3pdt switch would work but I dont know how to wire it up. Thanks

Aran
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

aran.e666

davent

Couldn't you just use a stereo jack, for your guitar, to switch the power as you would in a battery powered pedal.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

aran.e666

Thats actually a good idea il think about it. Sadly I drilled another hole to install a mini pot since it was very loud so I did it and since its a sealed pot when the pin snapped I couldn't use it so I just addded an led in its place and it works good. Thanks

Aran

Muadzin

This is what I used in one of my guitars, which has an internal fuzz factory.

3PDT toggle switch:

1. 4. 7.
2. 5. 8.
3. 6. 9.

Wiring:
1. empty
2. linked to 3.
3. see above
4. ground input from output jack. I also linked it through to the volume pot and the rest of my guitar, but if you want to wire its separately, go ahead.
5. input from volume pot
6. output to output jack
7. ground sent to distortion circuit
8. sent to distortion circuit input
9. return from distortion circuit output

This way with one toggle switch you can both disconnect the distortion circuit from your signal chain and switch its power off by disconnecting the ground connection. Assuming you've connected your battery ground to the output jack. I prefer this system over just using the stereo jack method with a DPDT switch or a DPDT push/pull pot, as that would mean the circuit would still draw power even when bypassed. Which in my guitar I do most of the time.

aran.e666

Very helpful reply, when I get a 3pdt, I will try this out!