Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jacks short when mounted to case

Started by atomicbot, February 14, 2015, 04:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicbot

Hi Everyone!

First post! :D

I built a Tube Screamer clone from General Guitar Gadgets, and when I leave the jacks unmounted to the case it works as you'd expect.  If the jacks touch the case at all it shorts and there's no sound.  I'm assuming this is some kind of grounding issue, but I'm pretty new to it all so I'm scratching my head.  Any help would be appreciated!

davent

Hello,
Sounds as if somewhere the tip of one of your jacks may be touching the enclosure (which should be grounded) or the grounded lug of a pot, just have to eyeball it all and look for a possible signal short to ground. A nice clear picture or two will get you many tuned in eyeballs to help you identity the possible issue.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

atomicbot

Thanks for the advice!  I took a break and came back to it today and realized I had the output jack wires backwards (must have had the jack rotated 180 degrees from the wiring diagram and didn't notice). 

Muadzin

It's always good to take a break from a problem build and come back later with a fresh perspective.