News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard suggestions and questions....

Started by highway jones, June 05, 2011, 04:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

So here is where I am at with this currently. Brian's modified BOM with the following changes:
R5 = 47R
C1 = 100pf
C2 = 100n
C7 = 33n
D1-D3 = 1N914

It is much closer to where I want it to be than when I started. Still going to tweak a little more.

k.rock!

Quote from: mjcyates on June 12, 2011, 05:45:38 PM
So here is where I am at with this currently. Brian's modified BOM with the following changes:
R5 = 47R
C1 = 100pf
C2 = 100n
C7 = 33n
D1-D3 = 1N914

It is much closer to where I want it to be than when I started. Still going to tweak a little more.

Would you say that with these modifications the pedal actually sounds closer to the original?

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

Myramyd

I tried the 1n914 diodes and it made mine sound really fuzzy and unusable.

The LEDs are perfect once you change R5 IMHO.

J

mjcyates

QuoteWould you say that with these modifications the pedal actually sounds closer to the original?

Don't know about that but certainlly makes it more pleasing to my ears.

QuoteI tried the 1n914 diodes and it made mine sound really fuzzy and unusable.

Totally not the case in my build. Maybe we just hear things differently.

Myramyd

Actually I just remembered that I put the diodes in BEFORE I swapped out R5.

But the diodes made it sound very much like a Big Muff. A
I would imagine changing R5 would open it back up.

But now it sounds very much like my actual Marshall with the only change being R5.

In my opinion R5 being 47R should be the default in the build docs. Making it 470R makes the pedal nearly useless. I think we should ask Brian to make that change.

Anything else concerning diodes, pots, caps or other experimentation is cool but not essential.

J

mjcyates

Agree. R5 definitely seems to be the key component in this circuit. Everything else seems to be a matter of taste.