News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAOD: New Amp Order Day (Received!)

Started by raulduke, February 06, 2015, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

I'm buzzing... after saving up I have purchased one of these bad boys:

Placed the order with Andertons and now will await delivery...

I've been looking for a decent 'Fender' style amp for ages, and I purchased a Supersonic 22 for Christmas, which was noisy as hell so got returned.

This is by the far the most I have ever spent on a piece of musical equipment (and probably will ever be). Kind of scary but I look at it as my 'lifer' amp.

Can't wait to get this bad boy and play  :)

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Cortexturizer

It looks amazing and has a great sound. You have made a great decision. Congrats and I hope lots of hours of pure pleasure will come out of this!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

raulduke

Yeah I'm looking forward to really digging in and playing it. Can't wait!

The new (MKII) version also has an attenuator which is defeat-able on the clean channel.

Great idea as you can get great 'cranked' tones with the lead channel, and keep the rhythm channel clean.

Cost wise it's a lot of money, but you get two distinct  preamp channels/circuit paths + reverb + tremolo + attenuator.

That is a whole lot more bang for buck than the other 'boutique' offerings I was looking at (Carr Skylark, Swart etc.).

playpunk

Awesome! I am jealous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pickdropper

Congrats!  That could indeed be a lifer.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

That's one serious amp. Big congrats!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

brejna

Great choice...

Quote from: playpunk on February 06, 2015, 12:57:14 PM
Awesome! I am jealous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

That is one totally sweet amp. Congrats!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

raulduke

Well here it is:

Arrived today and I'm of work so fun times!

Initial thoughts are that this is the nicest amplifier I have ever had the pleasure of playing.... hopefully the honeymoon period will be indefinite.

• The tremolo is hands down the best amplifier tremolo I have ever heard.
  • Reverb is amazing, but you can't go to surfy/splashy mix levels of reverb (it's a bit too classy for that kind of thing  ;))
  • Clean channel is again amazing. Really, really nice Fender blackface cleans. Not too trebly/sharp either.
  • Lead channel sounds good at lower volumes, and great when cranked, which leads me to the attenuator....
  • The attenuator is fantastic, and having it bypassable on the clean channel is such a brilliant idea.
  • Fit and build are top notch, as to be expected. I haven't had a look at the guts yet, but will be intrigued to see how it is put together

I think this is going to do me with amplifier purchases. I'm done  :)

I'll still build the odd amp (I'm building a Tweed deluxe at the moment which I had all the parts for before ordering the Toneking), but this is going to be a keeper.

pryde

I'd love to have a go with that. I bet it's tops. Congrats

selfdestroyer

I always loved the look of those amps. Looks like a winner to me.

Cody

midwayfair

Quote from: raulduke on February 09, 2015, 02:49:24 PMI haven't had a look at the guts yet, but will be intrigued to see how it is put together

Is yours the 20th Anniversary, or just the regular MKII?

I actually think Mark's PCB construction for the regular imperial was more impressive than the 20th Anniversary's point-to-point.

p.s. Try a 12AY7 for V1 if you need to extend the honeymoon. ;)