News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reamping, impedance matching, and other questions/musings

Started by Leevibe, February 05, 2015, 05:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I have never tried reamping, but I'm intrigued with the idea of capturing a guitar part, but still being able to mess with it later, out of the box. I've thought about it off and on for a while now. I just read the Tone Report article on it and that sparked me to investigate a DIY reamp box. I found the LINE2AMP kit, and it looks pretty interesting. I'm thinking it would be fun to come up with my own take on this very simple circuit. I wonder what other cool things could be added to make this even more useful.

I find impedance to be a dark and mysterious thing. I would love to be able to have more control over it than just having my signal buffered or unbuffered. A few years ago, I built a variant of the electra distortion. I found it to be a VERY good sounding circuit IF it was interacting directly with my guitar. But I also discovered that it sounded terrible with a buffer in front of it. I kind of want to make this circuit available, but it has such a split personality. I would love to be able to get it to sound great no matter what's in front of it. So, I thought about putting a buffer at the front end and then filtering off the highs, but I have a feeling that it's more than just a little tone sucking.

I wonder what would be involved in building an impedance matching circuit, similar to what's at the front end of a lot of mic pres. Would it require multiple transformers? And, would I end up with something like a reverse buffer, that would allow pedals that like to be hit with high impedance to sound good later in the chain?

Is anyone here experienced with reamping? If so, did you find that the amp responds to the signal as if a guitar were plugged into its input?

Anyone else interested in developing an ultimate reamping box?

mmlee

I have a little yellow Palmer reamp box at work. We sometimes record a guitar part through a radial DI with the DI straight to the desk and the through signal to a mic'd amp. 

On the very few occasions we've not liked what's been recorded we've reamped with the DI. Its nice if you can't get the guitarist back and the performance was really that great as you can spend hours tweaking amps or multiple amps and positioning mics with no issues.  Its always seemed to sound like the guitar was plugged straight back in.

Having said all that, it happens very rarely as getting something right at source is the most important and a lot of the time we can still re-record. I think I used it once last year.

I dunno if that's any help though as I know many people do it, probs just me.
>Marcus

rumbletone

Quote from: Leevibe on February 05, 2015, 05:55:04 PM
I have never tried reamping, but I'm intrigued with the idea of capturing a guitar part, but still being able to mess with it later, out of the box. I've thought about it off and on for a while now. I just read the Tone Report article on it and that sparked me to investigate a DIY reamp box. I found the LINE2AMP kit, and it looks pretty interesting. I'm thinking it would be fun to come up with my own take on this very simple circuit. I wonder what other cool things could be added to make this even more useful.

I find impedance to be a dark and mysterious thing. I would love to be able to have more control over it than just having my signal buffered or unbuffered. A few years ago, I built a variant of the electra distortion. I found it to be a VERY good sounding circuit IF it was interacting directly with my guitar. But I also discovered that it sounded terrible with a buffer in front of it. I kind of want to make this circuit available, but it has such a split personality. I would love to be able to get it to sound great no matter what's in front of it. So, I thought about putting a buffer at the front end and then filtering off the highs, but I have a feeling that it's more than just a little tone sucking.

I wonder what would be involved in building an impedance matching circuit, similar to what's at the front end of a lot of mic pres. Would it require multiple transformers? And, would I end up with something like a reverse buffer, that would allow pedals that like to be hit with high impedance to sound good later in the chain?

Is anyone here experienced with reamping? If so, did you find that the amp responds to the signal as if a guitar were plugged into its input?

Anyone else interested in developing an ultimate reamping box?
With respect to driving fx that like to follow directly after the guitar, check out the AMZ 'unbuffer': http://www.muzique.com/news/amz-un-buffer/

DuctTapeRiot

I had at one point posted some stuff I got out of a DIY Bible special edition of one of the guitar magazines, that included a Re-Amp box and a couple of other utility boxes (Pickup simulator, and something else). I have to run or would dig it up, but look through my post history. If you dont find it I will dig it up tonight when I get home.

Leevibe

Quote from: rumbletone on February 05, 2015, 09:14:36 PM
With respect to driving fx that like to follow directly after the guitar, check out the AMZ 'unbuffer': http://www.muzique.com/news/amz-un-buffer/

Thanks for this! I'm seriously interested in building this.