News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New PT2399 version?

Started by micromegas, February 04, 2015, 06:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

My local distributor just anounced this on their facebook page:

PT2399D-D: they say is exactly like the PT2399 but with the distortion problem sorted out.
I'll get some to try and make a comparation.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

madbean

Well, I'm excited to see that. I'll be getting some me-self for sure!

selfdestroyer

I actually heard about this in November but could not confirm it so I was just waiting it out. I hope this is true... but.. PTC has yet to answer my emails about the subject. I did find this PDF for the PT2399D but not "D-D" not sure if there is a real difference.

http://www.gwerder-elektronik.ch/files/PT2399D.pdf

The THD levels look the same as a standard PT2399 as far as I can tell.

I did notice this line:
PT2399D - Internal memory of 20k digital processing is used to generate the delay time.
PT2399 - Internal memory of 44k digital processing is used to generate the delay time.

If you do a search for "PT2399D-D" you get quite a few bulk china sales but no real information. So I hope this is not just a rebaged 2399 or a gimmick. We could definetly use some quieter 2399's in all our delay builds.

Cody

Scruffie

Might just be spec selected parts, which would be good, hopefully they'd be better regards latch up too.
Works at Lectric-FX

micromegas

My distributor says he has tried them and the change is appreciable, but he makes his living from selling them...

I need to place an order so I'll get some to try. Just populated a ZP Mini and I can do a side by side comparation.

pickdropper

Unless I am reading the datasheets wrong, it looks like the PT2399D has higher distortion at max rated delay settings.

PT2399 at 342ms = 1.0% THD
PT2399D at 342ms = 4.5% THD
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on February 04, 2015, 08:12:39 PM
Unless I am reading the datasheets wrong, it looks like the PT2399D has higher distortion at max rated delay settings.

I asked my distributor and he told me PT2399D-D's datasheet is the same as the standard PT2399, but I'll ask him again.

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on February 04, 2015, 08:14:42 PM

I asked my distributor and he told me PT2399D-D's datasheet is the same as the standard PT2399, but I'll ask him again.

You can read them here:

http://sound.westhost.com/pt2399.pdf
Function f(x)

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on February 04, 2015, 08:17:08 PM
Quote from: micromegas on February 04, 2015, 08:14:42 PM

You can read them here:

http://sound.westhost.com/pt2399.pdf
Thanks!

micromegas

Ok, you're completely right Dave. I'll reach him and see what he has to say about it.
This is what he said on his facebook page:
"...esta versión trata de corregir los problemas de repeticiones distorsionadas que se presentan en algunas partidas de este chip. Los hemos comprobado en el taller y efectivamente no distorsionan, sobre todo en las frecuencias mas altas. La ficha técnica es la misma para ambos y es una versión no oficial del mismo"

Sloppy english translation:
"... this version tries to correct problems associated to distorted repetitions some batches presented. We've tried it in the workshop and, indeed, there's no distortion, especially at higher frequencies. Datasheet is the same for both (I asked him about the differences with PT2399)  and this one is an official version of the same"

cooder

Wicked, that sounds indeed interesting...! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on February 04, 2015, 08:27:48 PM
Ok, you're completely right Dave. I'll reach him and see what he has to say about it.
This is what he said on his facebook page:
"...esta versión trata de corregir los problemas de repeticiones distorsionadas que se presentan en algunas partidas de este chip. Los hemos comprobado en el taller y efectivamente no distorsionan, sobre todo en las frecuencias mas altas. La ficha técnica es la misma para ambos y es una versión no oficial del mismo"

Sloppy english translation:
"... this version tries to correct problems associated to distorted repetitions some batches presented. We've tried it in the workshop and, indeed, there's no distortion, especially at higher frequencies. Datasheet is the same for both (I asked him about the differences with PT2399)  and this one is an official version of the same"

That wouldn't seem to track with the datasheet, but perhaps there is more to the story.  I'll be interested to find out more about these.
Function f(x)

Justus

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 04, 2015, 07:34:54 PM
... I did find this PDF for the PT2399D but not "D-D" not sure if there is a real difference. ...

From the PDF, the "D-D" is, in fact, the PT2399D in a DIP package, rather than a SOP (PT2399D-S)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Justus on February 04, 2015, 09:18:58 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 04, 2015, 07:34:54 PM
... I did find this PDF for the PT2399D but not "D-D" not sure if there is a real difference. ...

From the PDF, the "D-D" is, in fact, the PT2399D in a DIP package, rather than a SOP (PT2399D-S)

Makes sense.

Cody

pickdropper

This actually seems like a lower grade chip.  Other than the THD, it also has less than half of the memory.
Function f(x)