News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Bog of Eternal Stench (Swamp Comp Fuzz #1)

Started by midwayfair, January 29, 2015, 03:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Smell ... baaad.

Okay, sharp eyed people, I made a last-minute change to the pedal after I had already boxed it up, and forgot to do something before snapping the gut shot. What is wrong with this picture? I'm gonna be Sneaky McSnearkson and replace that picture when I get home ...

This is the pedal I designed with JR Hevron (thesameage) for winning my holiday PIF thread. He picked the "design an effect" prize.

JR's a bassist, so this was a new challenge for me: Designing something that I thought sounded good on bass.

After a bunch of discussion, we settled on a compressor with a blended fuzz. The compressor half is a modified Bearhug (longer attack, and hardwired to the long decay), and the fuzz is two modified BMP stages with bass boosts. The tone control is a low-pass shelf filter with a deeper cut on the fuzz side than the clean side. The fuzz output was also tuned to be about the same volume as the clean signal regardless of the pot's setting. One really neat thing that happens is that when you turn up the fuzz pot a little, you don't necessarily hear much distortion, but you do get a noticeable shift toward the bass side of the spectrum.

I'll post a schematic after JR has finished his build and given me his thoughts, in case there are any final tweaks. This is his baby now, so I don't know if there will be a project PCB available. I don't know when I'll get a chance to do a demo with FAWM coming up, but I might use it in a recording during February.

Oh, the knobs came from Cyrus at Ovnilab, which was super cool of him! I had to file out the insides a bit to get them to fit, but they're nicely made and look really good on this.

playpunk

Cool! I'm interested in hearing samples and JR's thoughts on this.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

flanagan0718

"The child with the POWER" Ahh gotta love Labyrinth. Great build! Love the art work

As for whats wrong with the picture...Ground from the 9v isn't wired.

pickdropper

You clearly missed an opportunity to make an enclosure with a drawing of David Bowie wearing an absurd codpiece.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on January 29, 2015, 06:03:46 PM
You clearly missed an opportunity to make an enclosure with a drawing of David Bowie wearing an absurd codpiece.

I don't want David Bowie's codpiece anywhere near my Bog of Eternal Stench OR anything of mine inspired by a Big Muff.

flanagan0718

Quote from: midwayfair on January 29, 2015, 06:16:05 PM

I don't want David Bowie's codpiece anywhere near my Bog of Eternal Stench OR anything of mine inspired by a Big Muff.

can't...stop...laughing!

pickdropper

It shouldn't have been anywhere near a children's movie either, but apparently Bowie is a rebel rebel.
Function f(x)

juansolo

Ground control is certainly not making contact with this one.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on January 29, 2015, 07:22:12 PM

It shouldn't have been anywhere near a children's movie either, but apparently Bowie is a rebel rebel.

He was a bit of a Super Creep for doing that.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on January 29, 2015, 07:33:35 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 29, 2015, 07:22:12 PM

He was a bit of a Super Creep for doing that.

I'm a big Bowie fan, but I remember thinking that it was really creepy when I first saw the movie.
Function f(x)

flanagan0718

I first saw the movie when I was 5 or 6. SUPER creepy, good job mom and dad!

thesameage

I'm JR... going to order Smallbear parts tonight and build this up as soon as I get the board from Jon. Can't wait! And since the diode sets are similar to the setup in a muff, there are pretty well established clipping options that you can try.

If it sounds good and seems like something people will be interested in (and Jon gives his blessing), I'll look into getting a run of PCB's made up.

pickdropper

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 29, 2015, 07:53:13 PM
I first saw the movie when I was 5 or 6. SUPER creepy, good job mom and dad!

Well I was the dad in this case.  Not having seen it as a kid, I didn't realize we would face the wrath of Cod.  I was told it was a good children's movie so I didn't pre-screen it.

The good news is that the kids didn't even seem to notice it.  I am guessing adults are more sensitive to it.
Function f(x)

thesameage

pickdropper

Btw Jon, this is a nice build.  I kind of forgot to mention that before.
Function f(x)