News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opinions on some tube amps

Started by HailToTheBlues, January 28, 2015, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hey guys,
I'm currently on the market for a tube amp, and now i'm kind of deciding between two amps: The Peavey Classic 50 410 (the black tolex version with the peavey logo, not the one that looks like a tweed fender) and an Egnater Tweaker 40 head. The peavey is selling for 500€ (565 dollars) and the tweaker is selling for 400€ (450 dollars). My "ideal" tone, is a very big sounding guitar, with a big low end, and i'm more interested in the cleans, rather than the distorsion. So any opinions guys?

Best regards

chosen_1

I own the Peavey classic 50 head and mainly use it as my go to clean amp. To me it's kind of like a Swiss army knife. It has a lot of GOOD useable tones but nothing great. What it does do very well is take pedals and i can get great tones out of it like that. Hope that helps.

Frag Magnet

I'd agree with the above comment.  My brother has a Classic 50 212 and a friend of ours gigged with the 410 version (and sometimes with an additional 410 extension cabinet) and it's a solid, versatile workhorse of an amp.  I know you're primarily interested in the cleans but it also has some good overdrive and distortion tones should you want or need them.  I'd pick one up in a heartbeat if I found a good deal.

I have no experience at all with the Egnater, though.  Can't help you there.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

pryde

If those are the only choices I would say the peavey.

The Egnater has more bells and whistles that you may not care about or need. This also translates to more expensive repairs when things go south.

How about building yourself something more simple and reliable  ;)

HailToTheBlues

There are more options of course, i only thought this ones to be the ones i could like the most. It is a website where people sell their used stuff. There's bugeras, v22 and v55, which i find interesting tonewise, but regarding reliability, i read many complaints about them.

I have thought of course of building an amp myself, maybe a bassman head for example, but i think here in europe they tend to ask to much for amp parts, and would and up with a pretty expensive amp, but if someone can correct me on this, i would be really glad to be wrong!

Tremster

I have a Peavey Classic 30 combo with a changed speaker. Great little amp.
Can't comment on the Egnater, but I'd say you can't go wrong with the Peavey.

flanagan0718

I have a Peavey Prowler and Love it. I've played a tone of other amps too, including Egnator and Peavey always wins...for me anyways. The Egnators I find to be either super bright or mud. Most Peavey tube amps have a lot of usable tones. I haven't owned the classic 50 but I have a couple friends that have them and swear by them. All they use it for is clean tone.

pryde

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on January 29, 2015, 10:26:14 AM
There are more options of course, i only thought this ones to be the ones i could like the most. It is a website where people sell their used stuff. There's bugeras, v22 and v55, which i find interesting tonewise, but regarding reliability, i read many complaints about them.

I have thought of course of building an amp myself, maybe a bassman head for example, but i think here in europe they tend to ask to much for amp parts, and would and up with a pretty expensive amp, but if someone can correct me on this, i would be really glad to be wrong!

Over on your side of the pond for building:
http://www.ampmaker.com/store/
http://www.ceriatone.com/index.htm

If you didn't want to get into building right now I would still stick with the peavey of all your options.

blearyeyes

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on January 29, 2015, 10:26:14 AM

I have a Bugera 22 and like it..... for the money.. Sounds good to me. The main complaints were from an early release of their amps. They failed to add a heat sink to a voltage regulator which cause a bunch of problems. Not an issue now. The build quality is what you pay for though and I don't know if Bugera would hold up on the road. My guess though if you are gigging a lot is to either take good care of it or don't get one....  FWIW the 22 uses 84s and the 50 uses 6L6s I think...

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for all the replies so far, i'm still undecided, because now i'm also considering the possibility of building a head, but thanks for the opinions, they'll be very helpfull.