News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opinions Needed: DIY Thinline Tele Kit, Semi Hollow, Humbuckers, & Bigsby copy

Started by brand0nized, January 26, 2015, 05:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

I really want a nice cheap semi hollow thinline tele with humbuckers to work on, and stumbled upon this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DIY-Electric-Guitar-Kit-Semi-Hollow-Body-F-Hole-Bolt-On-Mahogany-Neck-Thinline-Deluxe/108723_1525394867.html

Anyone have experiences with unbranded guitar kits or with Aliexpress?

I also found one with a gold tremolo and black pickguard that I like WAY more, but they ship from Australia...

selfdestroyer

Unfortunately asking about experience with "Aliexpress" is like asking for experience with "Amazon". Not all things are sold from one vendor, it is a collection of many shops selling items. I had a friend buy a Chinese SG and it looked great but the neck was not set properly and its been a mess of a guitar to setup. I have heard people say they bought guitars from many Aliexpress vendors and had good success stories after swapping out pot metal parts and all electronics. There are tons of YouTube videos on reviews of the Chinese guitars and most of them say, if you are a guitar tech then you can make them work in your favor. If not, save your money.

Kits might be a different beast since you will be doing most of the finishing work and fret job.

I went down this road one time looking for a strat and was so dead set on wanting it to say Fender on the headstock. I found for quality it was such a better deal to get a Squier Vintage Modified or a Squier Classic Vibe and mod it as needed. The 2 I own were great out of box and are even better with upgrades. Either embrace the Squier brand or sand off the logo and call it a "Partscaster" lol

I know this doesn't answer your question, I am simply sharing my situation and it might give you some insight on dealing with the no-name or counterfeit guitar companies.

Cody

alanp

I wouldn't go for an Alibaba vendor, unless I had firsthand reports for that particular vendor (meaning all the other vendors still need vetting, IMO.)

Rondo Music seem to get good reports, though. And my Vintage Les Paul is a cracker guitar, so their Telecasters might be worth a squiz.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

I would skip it. To much of a risk really.

I had a customer bring me a similar chinese kit guitar to build for him and it required extensive reworking including bridge relocation, neck pocket routing, major fretwork, etc. etc. It ended up costing him much more than anticipated.

GermanCdn

+1 for the "skip it" vote.  You could get a better (finished) instrument from either Rondo or Guitarfetish for the same price, and then mod it up as you see fit (the Douglas semi hollow HH from rondo is $169, slap on an Xtrem and a TOM bridge and you're good to go.  Do not get the Tele Xtrem though, you'll have to shim the neck something fierce).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

+2 for the skip it vote.  Too many unknowns and reports of kits like this needing a ton of work.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

billstein

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 26, 2015, 06:05:59 AM
Unfortunately asking about experience with "Aliexpress" is like asking for experience with "Amazon". Not all things are sold from one vendor, it is a collection of many shops selling items. I had a friend buy a Chinese SG and it looked great but the neck was not set properly and its been a mess of a guitar to setup. I have heard people say they bought guitars from many Aliexpress vendors and had good success stories after swapping out pot metal parts and all electronics. There are tons of YouTube videos on reviews of the Chinese guitars and most of them say, if you are a guitar tech then you can make them work in your favor. If not, save your money.

Kits might be a different beast since you will be doing most of the finishing work and fret job.

I went down this road one time looking for a strat and was so dead set on wanting it to say Fender on the headstock. I found for quality it was such a better deal to get a Squier Vintage Modified or a Squier Classic Vibe and mod it as needed. The 2 I own were great out of box and are even better with upgrades. Either embrace the Squier brand or sand off the logo and call it a "Partscaster" lol

I know this doesn't answer your question, I am simply sharing my situation and it might give you some insight on dealing with the no-name or counterfeit guitar companies.

Cody

I just bought a Squire Classic Vibe 50's Strat from Sweetwater and it is a really nice guitar. I was able to pay it off with 3 manageable payments. The finish is great, the neck feels as nice as any guitar I've played. I may change pickups eventually, but the stock are not bad at all. I get that nice quack I was jonesing for.
Squire (at least in this line) has really upped their game.

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

brand0nized

Thanks for the affirmation. Skipping it for sure. There's actually a Rondo one, fully put together and finished, at the same price.

justinlevitt12

I have experience with the DIY guitar kits however, I buy mine off ebay. I've actually built a Telecaster deluxe (with double humbuckers) from one of these kits. The quality of the body and neck are not bad at all. The only thing I have to admit is that the pickups, components and machine heads aren't great at all. If you swap those out you have yourself a great guitar!

fair.child

Save up and get piece by piece from Warmoth or Musikraft. Building a guitar that you want/dream is worth time, money, and patience. I'd rather go this way than spend money on a Chinese guitar. Their body made from cheap plywood construction and the neck is really hard to set up correctly.

pickdropper

Quote from: fair.child on December 30, 2017, 06:56:51 PM
Save up and get piece by piece from Warmoth or Musikraft. Building a guitar that you want/dream is worth time, money, and patience. I'd rather go this way than spend money on a Chinese guitar. Their body made from cheap plywood construction and the neck is really hard to set up correctly.

I'd add USA Custom Guitars to that list as well.  I have aftermarket necks from Warmoth, Musikraft, USACG, Guitar Mill and WD Music and the USACG ones are probably my favorite (although I really like the Guitar Mill neck as well).
Function f(x)

midwayfair

People, try not to make your first post on a forum in a 3-year old thread, it looks spammy even if it's not spam.

fair.child

Dave,

In my recent experience, Warmoth body is really great! However, for the neck, I'd go for Musikraft. Their fretwork is amazing. I've tried the USACG, though they are just across Warmoth office in Puyallup, WA. I can't say much about it though I am sure it's going to be good as well.

pickdropper

Quote from: fair.child on December 30, 2017, 11:06:11 PM
Dave,

In my recent experience, Warmoth body is really great! However, for the neck, I'd go for Musikraft. Their fretwork is amazing. I've tried the USACG, though they are just across Warmoth office in Puyallup, WA. I can't say much about it though I am sure it's going to be good as well.

I think that, between Warmoth, USACG and Musikraft, they are all good and it really boils down to personal preference.  I have a Musikraft neck, but I actually just removed it in favor of a USACG neck.  There wasn't anything bad about it, the USACG just worked better for me personally.  Somebody else might have the exact opposite opinion.
Function f(x)