News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NJD and now a question!

Started by GrindCustoms, January 24, 2015, 10:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

The bridge setup was'nt in my concern at first... still don't have any problem with it so far... might do some fixes on it when i'll change the string next time, i have some quite large heat-shrink tubing that could fit nicely around the posts... Though i will order some Mustang saddles, i have a quite strong picking hand and i've manage to get the low E string do some slot skipping while giving her some serious beating.

Onto my real matter now.

I sure dig those switching options... but the upper controls difference are'nt unicorn tears injected and it's something that can easily be mounted on a switch or simply be the voicing of the neck pickup when in stand alone use.

So after debating in my head how to solve that squealing issue that is definitly create by the mahoosive wiring that is going from Montreal to Vancouver, back and forth couple time in that chunk of wood... i'm going to simplify that a bit.

Now what i need is help to source a custom pickguard that covers the upper control area and routed for pickguard mounted strat single coil and a 3-5way slide switch in the lower horn.

Can't seem to find anything like that on the internet other than Jazzmaster pickguards.... ...but the bridge area section is made differently and i want to keep the chrome control plate.

Thanks!

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

JoeDorcia

Quote from: gordo on January 31, 2015, 12:51:46 AM
Those bridges were SUPPOSED to wobble.  That was their intent.  Never worked as intended though.  If you've never used tone controls on a guitar before, this is the one to cut your teeth on.  You could invest in a Mastery bridge if the tremolo bothers you but is a pretty good investment.  Still, if you want the original intent to actually work, its the way to go.

Great looking guitar and hope you enjoy it.  Really off the beaten path in terms of feel and tones so like a good strat or tele, it will make you work a bit harder to get what you're after.
Yes, they are made so that when you use the tremolo the bridge had some movement intended to lessen the movement over the saddles and improve string life and tuning stability. Sadly, it just didnt work!
Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 31, 2015, 04:44:04 AM
The bridge setup was'nt in my concern at first... still don't have any problem with it so far... might do some fixes on it when i'll change the string next time, i have some quite large heat-shrink tubing that could fit nicely around the posts... Though i will order some Mustang saddles, i have a quite strong picking hand and i've manage to get the low E string do some slot skipping while giving her some serious beating.

Onto my real matter now.

I sure dig those switching options... but the upper controls difference are'nt unicorn tears injected and it's something that can easily be mounted on a switch or simply be the voicing of the neck pickup when in stand alone use.

So after debating in my head how to solve that squealing issue that is definitly create by the mahoosive wiring that is going from Montreal to Vancouver, back and forth couple time in that chunk of wood... i'm going to simplify that a bit.

Now what i need is help to source a custom pickguard that covers the upper control area and routed for pickguard mounted strat single coil and a 3-5way slide switch in the lower horn.

Can't seem to find anything like that on the internet other than Jazzmaster pickguards.... ...but the bridge area section is made differently and i want to keep the chrome control plate.

Thanks!

Rej
Rej, the large heat shrink should be fine so long as it doesnt give/compress, thats why i went for wire as its solid. Mustang saddles for the win! Same look and feel without the disaster of multiple grooves.

The upper controls sound darker due to the 50kB pot on the tone control, this removes some treble. Case in point - single coil guitars go for 250k pots as they help curb some excess treble, HBs use 500k as they need less filtering and help keep them a bit brighter and articulate. Jags/JAzzmasters are so bright (on the lower controls) as they use 1M pots letting loads of the highs through. you could easily experiment with different pots, tone caps or treble bleed circuits on the upper control to give you some more tones that are suited to your taste. Yes, there is a lot of wiring, but you could use shielded wire or multiple core shielded wire to combat this, then shield all the cavities. And of course, wax pot them pups to stop the microphonics.

Shame I'm in the UK, sounds like a fun project! Back in my tech days I used to spend ages selecting the best tone caps/treble bleed caps on strats for the individual player/amp/pups. Makes them so much more usuable.
Making noise since 2001... If only I knew what I was doing

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

mcallisterra

I have a 62RI Jazzmaster. I swapped the bridge out for a Mustang one (only like $25) and it works perfectly. It's hard to imagine why they didn't just use them on the Jazzmaster too - the fact they are already correctly radiused to the fingerboard makes setup so easy.

Once the guitar is setup correctly, the rocking bridge system works perfectly - I think the whole thing is more elegant and sturdy than a Strat.

Jaguars are bright, but I've never found that to be true of (original or American) Jazzmasters. They are full and balanced sounding. Big round low notes with a chimey top end. The MIJ Jazzmasters however sound nothing like a real JM because they are just Strat-like pickups hiding under a JM pickup cover.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

GrindCustoms

Quote from: gordo on January 31, 2015, 06:31:12 PM
Pickguards.com

Simple and Efficient replies are what we should always aim for! Thanks mate!

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/