News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NJD and now a question!

Started by GrindCustoms, January 24, 2015, 10:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

New Jaguar Day!

New Single Coil Day! Have'nt owned a guitar with singles in the last 14 years or so...

New OffSet Day! Other than weird heteromorphic shaped metal guitars i never owned offset body guitars.

After a week of trying to catch a meeting with the local store owner, mixed in there the fact that i'm gone 4 days a week up north.. i finally managed to bring this Jag home. Did a straight trade against the Marshall 1960Lead 412 that was really not in my alley sound wise.

Got the Jag, gigbag and Fender strap against the cab, pretty good deal that is imo. :)

Fender Fanboi pic.... something i'm not really... ...but oh well!

Now i only have one spot left on my guitar wall... will have to make the right choice for the next one!

Guitar sounds pretty good as is, the bridge pickup might be a bit bright to my taste... more bright than the 'troncaster wich i thought was the pinnacle of guitar brightness... might put a cap directly on that pickup conductors to tame it a bit. Otherwise bunch of nice sounds out of this, the neck + bridge pickup in serie are made for fuzz, no matter what i've thrown at it, it was responding better than any of my other guitars, must be a single coil thing.

The clean are very nice and deep when using the upper control section... ...dunno what it really does, but it sounds great! Response is fantastic with envellopes and compressors, my current funk fun is well taken care of.

Always had respect for the Squier Classic Vibe series and this one is up to the game!

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jubal81

Must. Not. GAS.

Looks great and I can't believe it's a Squier. My first real guitar was a Mexi Jag and loved it. Grats, bud.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jubal81 on January 24, 2015, 11:01:14 PM
Must. Not. GAS.

Looks great and I can't believe it's a Squier. My first real guitar was a Mexi Jag and loved it. Grats, bud.

Must.GAS

Thanks Jason, they also that Squier Mustang in Fiesta Red, would be right up your alley with the shorter scale, sounded great but i was feeling a bit cramped on it... ...and it was looking like a legit Fender one. ;)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

Question for those who own fenders or other guitars with a multitude of switch and knobs...

So far i've been playing that guitar at relatively low volumes, just couple time very loud... Yesterday when i came back from work i gave it a good play at loud volumes and find out that it sounded great but also that it was a master at feedback.

After some poking around and fettling with the switches i realise that the whole assembly was very microphonic, i really like the tonal options offered by the guitar but that feedback issue is a bit of a downer, anyone have some solutions that could help?

Thanks

Rej

selfdestroyer

Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 30, 2015, 07:05:45 PM
Question for those who own fenders or other guitars with a multitude of switch and knobs...

So far i've been playing that guitar at relatively low volumes, just couple time very loud... Yesterday when i came back from work i gave it a good play at loud volumes and find out that it sounded great but also that it was a master at feedback.

After some poking around and fettling with the switches i realise that the whole assembly was very microphonic, i really like the tonal options offered by the guitar but that feedback issue is a bit of a downer, anyone have some solutions that could help?

Thanks

Rej

I have a Squire Vintage Modified Jag also and mine is a bit micro-phonic but its not a squealer when cranked. With a BMP I can get some great sweet spots in the room for some feedback but that's pretty normal with most guitars. I'm sure there are inconsistencies in electronics from Squier to Squier.

Wax pot the pickups? Might be a fun project.

http://www.jag-stang.com/forum/topic/290-bridge-pup-replacement/

Or ask Timbo to roll you a set for it.

Here mine

Cody

GrindCustoms

It's not a squealer with the BMP variant strangely.. totally abusing of the TSM680 variant since i got that guitar... even with the EBS multicomp and Klone stacked in front of it....

It's mainly when i use OD's, i.e.: Comp into Klone into IDA Hydra(Modded ZenDrive+Modded BBOD) that it gets out of control... all the gain controls are set pretty low and the total amount of gain is not that i high.. but i can't get it from squealing. Have to set the Decimator gate way to high to my taste.

Only thing that have come to my mind so far is using shielded wire through out the guitar and... ....maybe waxing the pickups... i have a pot for that.

mandrewbot3k

I have the same jag and its a bit microphonic. I think its mostly the pickup characteristic, and probably not potted. I've been meaning to shield the pickguard and cavities, but havent gotten around to it yet.

Not sure if you know what all the switches do yet, but its relatively straight forward.
The bottom three control the neck and bridge pickups on the left, and the third one is a 'bright' switch essentially (closest to the bridge)
The upper section when engaged is the neck only and bypasses the other electronics. The rollers are different value pots (i think 500k or 1M instead of 250).
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: mandrewbot3k on January 30, 2015, 07:54:01 PM
I have the same jag and its a bit microphonic. I think its mostly the pickup characteristic, and probably not potted. I've been meaning to shield the pickguard and cavities, but havent gotten around to it yet.

Not sure if you know what all the switches do yet, but its relatively straight forward.
The bottom three control the neck and bridge pickups on the left, and the third one is a 'bright' switch essentially (closest to the bridge)
The upper section when engaged is the neck only and bypasses the other electronics. The rollers are different value pots (i think 500k or 1M instead of 250).

I have looked at what the switches and all that does, the upper section controls even if just the neck pickup sound different from the bottom control neck only... really liking that spot for the thick fuzz sounds.

I'll see what i can do and report back

JoeDorcia

I would guess the squealing is microphonic, as the Squier pups aren't usually wax potted (though i could be wrong if things have changed) but it's the likely answer. Jags and Jazzmasters desparately need good shielding due to the combination of pups, layout and amount of wiring. Either open her up and fully shield the cavities if it's one full cavity, or shielded cable and shield the individual cavities if it's routed like that. Not sure how they route squiers nowadays.

The upper circuit, 'rhythm' mode is just the neck and uses a different combination of pot values that does make it darker. 50kB tone pot instead of 1MB that is on the bottom controls.

The 3rd switch on the bottom row is just a set tone switch, your could mod this to use whatever cap or cap and resistor combo you want to get a 'preset' tone. you could use a cap and a bleed cap to create an unusul tonal combination etc. Fun times ahead.

Also, as I can't tell from the picks, does it have the saddles with multiple groves? If so, swap them out for a mustang bridge and I used to use different methods to stop the saddle unit rocking back and forth (a 'good' feature of the Trem on Jags). but it's all personal preference, I just found the tuning stability unusable with it set stock.
Making noise since 2001... If only I knew what I was doing

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

GrindCustoms

Quote from: JoeDorcia on January 30, 2015, 08:14:39 PM
I would guess the squealing is microphonic, as the Squier pups aren't usually wax potted (though i could be wrong if things have changed) but it's the likely answer. Jags and Jazzmasters desparately need good shielding due to the combination of pups, layout and amount of wiring. Either open her up and fully shield the cavities if it's one full cavity, or shielded cable and shield the individual cavities if it's routed like that. Not sure how they route squiers nowadays.

The upper circuit, 'rhythm' mode is just the neck and uses a different combination of pot values that does make it darker. 50kB tone pot instead of 1MB that is on the bottom controls.

The 3rd switch on the bottom row is just a set tone switch, your could mod this to use whatever cap or cap and resistor combo you want to get a 'preset' tone. you could use a cap and a bleed cap to create an unusul tonal combination etc. Fun times ahead.

Also, as I can't tell from the picks, does it have the saddles with multiple groves? If so, swap them out for a mustang bridge and I used to use different methods to stop the saddle unit rocking back and forth (a 'good' feature of the Trem on Jags). but it's all personal preference, I just found the tuning stability unusable with it set stock.

I don't really use the Trem so i have'nt had tuning issues yet... but i still find that bridge design a tad wonky... swapping it for a complete tune-o-matic was and i idea i had.

What did you do to keep the bridge itself moving in the inserts?

selfdestroyer

Agreed with that. On my Japanese Fender Jazzmaster I put a Mustang bridge and it made a huge difference. I tired the Warmoth modified Mustang bridge but it was really no better than the standard Mustang bridge IMO. The saddle adjustments that the Modified Mustang bridge did not seem to matter much on my Jazzmaster.

Cody

mandrewbot3k

I really hate the feel of the threaded saddles, but I don't play it enough to buy the mustang ones. In all honesty, i should probably sell it, heh..

Also HEAVY strings. dont try to play it waith 9s or 10s. get at least 11s unless you get the heavy bottom 10s. i also kind of like the d'addario flatwounds, but it took some time to get used to them.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

JoeDorcia

Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 30, 2015, 08:25:35 PM

I don't really use the Trem so i have'nt had tuning issues yet... but i still find that bridge design a tad wonky... swapping it for a complete tune-o-matic was and i idea i had.

I'd go for the mustang bridge over a tune-o-matic, but that's personal preference, ToM would probably be more stable for string tension. If the neck is fitted correctly you can use a £1 coin underneath... But that's a UK quirk! I actually wrapped the posts in solid copper wire I had lying around, it was the perfect diameter to fit! No idea what it was though as it was about 6 yrs ago. You can probably find a coin suitable to sit underneath the bridge or find a wire like I used. I'm sure you have wires lying around  ;)
Making noise since 2001... If only I knew what I was doing

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

gordo

Those bridges were SUPPOSED to wobble.  That was their intent.  Never worked as intended though.  If you've never used tone controls on a guitar before, this is the one to cut your teeth on.  You could invest in a Mastery bridge if the tremolo bothers you but is a pretty good investment.  Still, if you want the original intent to actually work, its the way to go.

Great looking guitar and hope you enjoy it.  Really off the beaten path in terms of feel and tones so like a good strat or tele, it will make you work a bit harder to get what you're after.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pryde

Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 30, 2015, 08:25:35 PM

I use copper conductive tape and wrap the bridge posts. That will keep it good and stable. Hate that design  >:(