News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Unnamed multi Dirt, Phase, Chorus

Started by Luke51411, January 22, 2015, 04:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I finished up a sweet multi! Thanks go out to Rej for the Octane Overdrive, Pickdropper for the mini phase 90 board, and Barry at Guitarpcb for the mini me chorus. This thing kicks ass! I've modded the chorus to have three delay ranges. The center of the switch is short, in the flanger range. You can get a pretty good mild flange sound out of it. The up position is Chorus range and the down position is Deep chorus/pich shift/wackiness. I also added a mix pot and a dry kill switch. The other two circuits are stock.
And now for the lessons I learned portion of today's lecture:
1: make sure to install the 3pdt pcbs in the proper orientation. It doesn't effect the function but it messes up the signal flow wiring which I was trying to minimize... So I turned the switches around to avoid crossing in and out wires making for a tight fit.
2: sharpie can come back from the dead :o I sanded the enclosure clean. It looked great! I install the waterslide decal nearly perfect, I'm feeling good about this one! Spray on a coat of clear... What is that... It came back :o so now some of my drill markings are visible... I'll call it a feature... ::)
3: ... There's another lesson in there that I already forgot
So here it is...

And now some spaghetti!

I originally had a guitarpcb phase 90 in there but I wasn't sure how to fit it or mount it so I said screw it and bought one of pickdropper's phase 90 boards which fits great!
I also took the time to get the right resistors to roughly match the brightness of the LEDs (and also make sure they weren't blinding).
This pedal sounds great! It's not noisy at all and All three effects sound great when on at the same time! The stomps are a bit clunky but you get what you pay for, they work.

alanp

That is really neat :D and a good lineup for a multiFX. I like the colour coding on the front!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Luke51411

The look has a little bit of a Mutron vibe I just realized. Completely unintentional.

Stomptown

Great looking build Luke!  It does have a Mutron vibe going on but in a good way for sure!

TGP39

This looks fantastic and I bet it sounds even better. Very inspiring work.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

selfdestroyer

Looks awesome. Love the Mutron look to it. I always loved pedals that have that retro/future look to them.

Cody

Hogharry

A splendid multi! I really like the way the colours stand out on the decal and I think the end result with the LEDs was well worth the effort. 8)

The sharpie thing is both weird and annoying. I've never used pen and I've not had a problem with pencil lines turning zombie, so that's an alternative. I tend to stick masking tape on the enclosure these days and draw the lines on the tape, which avoids the clean up phase altogether.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Luke51411

Quote from: Hogharry on January 22, 2015, 11:38:55 AM
A splendid multi! I really like the way the colours stand out on the decal and I think the end result with the LEDs was well worth the effort. 8)

The sharpie thing is both weird and annoying. I've never used pen and I've not had a problem with pencil lines turning zombie, so that's an alternative. I tend to stick masking tape on the enclosure these days and draw the lines on the tape, which avoids the clean up phase altogether.
I was shocked when the sharpie showed up again... after I sanded and polished the box so nice... The waterslide isn't in that area so maybe someday I'll get around to removing it if it bugs me enough.
Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 22, 2015, 09:27:26 AM
Looks awesome. Love the Mutron look to it. I always loved pedals that have that retro/future look to them.

Cody
Thanks! I love how it turned out to look somewhat Mutron inspired even down to the colors without even trying or making that connection in the design process. Its crazy how things come together and just work sometimes. The Retro/futuristic style is something I'm developing as one of my "looks". So far the decals have been the missing piece of my pedal building experience. Previously I was loathe to actually box something up and would only do so because I liked a circuit enough and got tired of plugging the board into my makeshift testing rig but now I look forward to finishing stuff almost to the extent of looking for circuits to build solely because of aesthetic design inspiration. Of course I'm sure waterslides are the gateway drug into etching and other finishing techniques.

bcalla

Beautiful work!  I assumed you were going for the Mutron look - happy accident!

Luke51411

Quote from: bcalla on January 22, 2015, 02:15:45 PM
Beautiful work!  I assumed you were going for the Mutron look - happy accident!
Nope, I was just going for simple, elegant, and interesting. Plus I realized I could use the local office supplies store to make color laser prints for cheap so I'm going wild with color now.

thesameage

Hogharry

Quote from: Luke51411 on January 22, 2015, 01:55:55 PM
Quote from: Hogharry on January 22, 2015, 11:38:55 AM

I was shocked when the sharpie showed up again... after I sanded and polished the box so nice... The waterslide isn't in that area so maybe someday I'll get around to removing it if it bugs me enough.
Just enjoy it for now, fix it later if you feel like it. If the waterside had been full-face it would have covered most of it but made it harder to fix if you wanted to.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Luke51411

Yeah it wouldn't have shown up under the waterslide I don't think as there was plenty of sharpie under where it was applied. I'm planning on enjoying it for a while. Overall it looks too good to want to try and redo anytime soon.

pickdropper

Nice Luke.  I like the artwork; reminds me of MuTron a bit.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper